Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Windows Defender & Background processes slowing down your simulator?

I have spybot search and destroy and malwareantibytes, do I really need Windows defender as well? I'm afraid all these apps are using resources in the background while I am flying in my flight sim. Will it have a noticeable affect on performance? Do you guys recommend having Windows Defender on or off? I'm trying to keep background processes to a minimum to get the most out of my simming experience. What can you guys recommend? Are there any tips, tricks, or programs that will allow me to monitor what processes are loaded during windows startup and running in the background and give me the option to disable it permanently?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

There are gaming related programs that will shut down all background processes for you.

I do have Win Defender disabled as it was definitely causing me resource issues. This was a year ago, perhaps now Win10 Defender is patched and better, dunno.

2 words . Process lasso

Avast free has a gaming option where you set your sims .exe and it wont bother you while flying

running 3 AV programs is not good

ZORAN

So which one is better, Avast free or Process Lasso?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

2 minutes ago, captain420 said:

So which one is better, Avast free or Process Lasso?

they compliment each other.

process lasso is a very intelligent program that frees up your PC to run the sim as top priority. (its not an anti virus)

https://bitsum.com/

Avast is an anti virus that has a game mode that allows you to fly without the anti virus running at the same time until you exit the sim

(free version is fine )

https://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

ZORAN

Ahh thanks a lot! :) I will try those out!

Alternatively, look at Windows 10 Game Mode which prioritises games over background tasks: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3187171/windows/tested-windows-10s-game-mode-makes-unplayable-games-playable-sometimes.html

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit