Sign in to follow this  
No Ice

Night Flood light texture problem.

Hi

Don't suppose anyone knows why my flood lighting gives a pixel effect like showing in the screen shots? Tried changing most graphic settings in P3D V4 and installed New graphics drivers. 

cPIKz4M.png

Hw4GK2u.jpg

Any help appreciated 

Cheers

Craig 

2 minutes ago, No Ice said:

Hi

Don't suppose anyone knows why my flood lighting gives a pixel effect like showing in the screen shots? Tried changing most graphic settings in P3D V4 and installed New graphics drivers. 

cPIKz4M.png

Hw4GK2u.jpg

Any help appreciated 

Cheers

Craig 

I believe that's just how the lighting engine works.

Cheers for the Reply Chris

Looked at lots of example's of other people's at night and they don't seem to have this issue. It's really annoying and put's me off flying at night. 

Craig 

Just now, No Ice said:

Cheers for the Reply Chris

Looked at lots of example's of other people's at night and they don't seem to have this issue. It's really annoying and put's me off flying at night. 

Craig 

I think it's only at low brightnesses of the flood lighting. For brighter settings it comes normal

Only doesn't happen at full brightness, Never really used at this level though. :-( 

Craig 

You may not have noticed it in other screenshots, but it definitely happens for everyone. It's how the lighting system has to work because FSX and P3D (even v4, so far) don't have the capabilities of a dimmable dynamic light required for the cockpit flood lights.

Molly Norris

4 hours ago, molleh said:

You may not have noticed it in other screenshots, but it definitely happens for everyone. It's how the lighting system has to work because FSX and P3D (even v4, so far) don't have the capabilities of a dimmable dynamic light required for the cockpit flood lights.

Molly Norris

Ok cheers, Guess I will live with it then. 

Craig 

I had very high hopes when reading "dynamic lighting" on the feature list that it would finally include real cockpit lighting. But either it's still not supported or developers haven't upgraded their aircraft yet. :(

With P3Dv3 I would have recommended FSLSpotlights as a workaround but unfortunately it's not yet available for v4...

8 hours ago, EnQ said:

I had very high hopes when reading "dynamic lighting" on the feature list that it would finally include real cockpit lighting. But either it's still not supported or developers haven't upgraded their aircraft yet. :(

With P3Dv3 I would have recommended FSLSpotlights as a workaround but unfortunately it's not yet available for v4...

As far as I’m aware, dynamic lights only applies to exterior lights at the moment. 

Maybe not: https://blog.tfdidesign.com/2017/08/11/tfdi-design-717-introducing-reallight/

TFDi says they are open to sell licenses to other addon developers. If it works well, maybe that's an option?

Otherwise, FSLabs is working on v4 compatibility of their spotlights addon. But it's still a difference between being able to turn knobs in a 3D cockpit (RealLight?) to turn up/down predefined lights and using a 2D overlay menu (FSLSpotlights) to set up custom user-defined lights (which may not have been set to accurate places).

Unfortunately, as FSLabs seem to have gone mad, I don't want to use and especially cannot recommend FSLSpotlights as a workaround any more.

@rsrandazzo I'd like to take this chance to renew my appeal to PMDG to please get lighting in all aircraft up to modern standards. Your aircraft remain the ultimate reference in systems depth and the 738 is still my absolute favourite but the dithered night lighting textures (not only on the 738!) just look terrible and break immersion every time. As a result, I avoid night lighting completely except for panel backlights. TFDi's RealLight seems like it would be the next best option to finally get pleasant-looking night-lighting into PMDG aircraft without hacking the rendering pipeline to do things the API doesn't allow yet but, unlike FSLSpotlights, it has to be licensed and implemented by the aircraft developer, so we users are unable to help ourselves in this situation.

I was hoping for P3D v4.2 to extend dynamic lighting support to the VC but it seems 4.2 was a pure VR and SLI update. It may very well be that PMDG has insights into the ongoing development of P3D they are not allowed to share but since there are alternatives to actual lights in API by Lockheed Martin (see TFDi) I think it would be safe for PMDG to just let us know if improving cockpit lighting was just "being worked on" or "being considered". So far I am not aware that PMDG would have considered improving VC night lighting in the past few years. Some small feedback would be nice. :)

• Upvote 1

I arrived here searching for answers as to why the night lighting in the 737 was so awful. I found my answers. When you look at other premium aircraft that come at HALF the cost of the 737, I expect better attention to detail post P3D V4.3. Seriously! When was the last time PMDG updated this thing? At least FS Labs recently updated the cockpit textures. PMDG can't do that?

Edited by bat8580

1 hour ago, bat8580 said:

I arrived here searching for answers as to why the night lighting in the 737 was so awful. I found my answers. Until the lighting is addressed, this will be the last PMDG product I buy. When you look at other premium aircraft that come at HALF the cost of the 737, I expect better attention to detail post P3D V4.3. Seriously! When was the last time PMDG updated this thing? At least FS Labs recently updated the cockpit textures. PMDG can't do that?

If you hadn‘t looked only at a 10 years old product on a new sim bit the later addons like 777 and 747, you had found out that this HAS been adressed. The light is just fine on both, only the 737 is that old that it can‘t be changed that easily, just with a simple patch. It‘s an old code that has to be rewritten. The NG3 is in development, you can wait for it or use spotlights. It‘s free.

8 hours ago, bat8580 said:

I arrived here searching for answers as to why the night lighting in the 737 was so awful. I found my answers. When you look at other premium aircraft that come at HALF the cost of the 737, I expect better attention to detail post P3D V4.3. Seriously! When was the last time PMDG updated this thing? At least FS Labs recently updated the cockpit textures. PMDG can't do that?

Welcome to the forum. Please note that full names - first and last - are required in your posts.

As far as your post's content, it's quite misleading. You're comparing a 6 year old aircraft to one that is significantly newer (only 2 years old). Quite a number of things changed in that four year difference, so the comparative effort in updating a 6 year old product and a 2 year old product is very, very different. Their lighting method is entirely different as well.

I can understand that, in certain conditions (AA levels, monitor resolutions, and the like), the 6 year old method can look a bit odd, but at the time, it was revolutionary to have that level of control of your lighting (around that time, your general options were ON and OFF, without the gradient).

A 4 year difference in the realm of technology is huge...

Kyle Rodgers