Sign in to follow this  
blazer05

Norton Anitvirus and the organizer download

New PC with Norton preloaded - I attempted to download the addon organizer and Norton will not allow me to execute the .exe file.

Who owns the computer?  I thought I did.

But it did make me pause - is this a "false positive" or will I also install a virus/malware with this product?

No experience with Norton antivirus - so I was hoping the users on this forum could make me feel better about avoiding a virus.

And yes, I know I should have shut off the Norton before installation.

Franklin Duncan

Franklin Duncan

Hello,

that depends on the message from the AntiVirus.

With new software you almost always get the AV warning that it doesn't know this program, so by definition it must be bad ("heurisitc virus" or "reputation"). I always get this from Norton when developing new executables, because how could it know? This is a big problem for all new programs, not just this one.

A different kind of situation is if the AV finds an actual virus by its unique signature - it will tell you as much and you can call up more information about which kind of malware it is exactly. That would mean that the whole Weebly platform would have been infected by a virus. While very unlikely, it is not totally impossible - and it could happen to any download site.

Best regards

LORBY-SI

I believe your first example more closely fits my experience.

There was no information to indicate an actual virus was detected as described in your second example.

No worries, I will bypass Norton and install the program.  Reading the forum after I posted provides the comfort level I was looking for.

Franklin Duncan

Franklin Duncan

Dump Norton (and IMHO) all others and install ESET.  Very low background impact and almost bullet proof.

Jim Driskell

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

Thanks Jim - I plan to dump Norton - it is such a PITA - I will research ESET.

Thanks for the tip.

Franklin Duncan

Franklin Duncan