Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

Virgin Atlantic 747-400 Lady Captain

Bet she's a bit sad to be giving up that left seat, but it's cool that she and other women have pioneered things in what is traditionally seen as a bloke's role.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

What rapid climb up the ladder she made from joining them in 1990 and 3 years later in command.

11 minutes ago, vc10man said:

What rapid climb up the ladder she made from joining them in 1990 and 3 years later in command.

Thanks for posting!  She certainly had considerable flying experience before assuming command -- maybe she had heavy jet experience prior to joining Virgin. 

Anyway, I've learned to fly a 747-400 perfectly well just since last January, and only sitting at my computer.:smile:

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

35 minutes ago, vc10man said:

One of the advantages of being in an airline at a time of relatively rapid expansion: the early 1990s saw Heathrow opened up to Virgin and the 747 fleet doubled in size (from 4 to 8) between 1990 and 1993.

Airlines work on the basis of seniority and so promotion can be very quick indeed during times of expansion, provided you meet the prerequisites (ie unfrozen ATPL - which she clearly did) and can pass the command course (likewise).

25 minutes ago, Mike777 said:

Anyway, I've learned to fly a 747-400 perfectly well just since last January, and only sitting at my computer.:smile:

You and I, Mike:laugh:

Yup, not to take anything away from her achievements, but being in on the ground floor of Virgin all those years ago so to speak will definitely have contributed to her getting in the 747 left seat. A similar thing occurs at smaller regionals which people move on from, where people make it into the left seat fairly quickly if they stick around, in comparison to being stuck behind a lot of the old guard at a bigger airline.

Anyway, however she made it there, it's always impressive when women make it in a field dominated by men by virtue of demonstrating their merits and ability. I'm a big fan of that, which is why when I name aircraft at my own VA, they always proudly wear the name of a pioneering Aviatrix.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

2 minutes ago, Chock said:

Yup, not to take anything away from her achievements, but being in on the ground floor of Virgin all those years ago so to speak will definitely have contributed to her getting in the 747 left seat. A similar thing occurs at smaller regionals which people move on from, where people make it into the left seat fairly quickly if they stick around, in comparison to being stuck behind a lot of the old guard at a bigger airline.

I don't think she could have remained a 747 captain for @ 24 years if she had not borne out the confidence placed in her.  Despite my confidence that, after 6 months or so, I am fully prepared to jump into the captain's seat, it scares me to be responsible for so many lives.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Happy Retirement, enjoy where the next journey takes you...

Matthew Kane

7 hours ago, Chock said:

Anyway, however she made it there, it's always impressive when women make it in a field dominated by men by virtue of demonstrating their merits and ability. I'm a big fan of that, which is why when I name aircraft at my own VA, they always proudly wear the name of a pioneering Aviatrix.

And she may prove to be a role-model for future aspirants for either seat up-front.

7 hours ago, Mike777 said:

it scares me to be responsible for so many lives

That alone is the biggest self-Everest to climb.

21 minutes ago, vc10man said:

That alone is the biggest self-Everest to climb.

Of course even mastering a complex sim like the 747 (which I am far from doing) is nothing like the rigorous training and years of experience that airline pilots generally have.  Frequent check-rides, and testing of emergency procedures in full-motion simulators certainly justify more self-confidence than any desk-top sim could ever provide.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

29 minutes ago, Mike777 said:

Of course even mastering a complex sim like the 747 (which I am far from doing) is nothing like the rigorous training and years of experience that airline pilots generally have.  Frequent check-rides, and testing of emergency procedures in full-motion simulators certainly justify more self-confidence than any desk-top sim could ever provide.

Mike

You have encapsulated that well, Mike. Wonder how our MD-11 'friend' is getting along? Not heard from him awhile.

Amazing Captain and a lovely lady, had the pleasure of flying as part of her crew a few times.

• Upvote 1