Sign in to follow this  
SteveW

Optane

<split from another thread>

Why not get an Optane and four 2T HDDs for under £300 gives 16Gb SSD performance as cached 4T array with iRST RAID10 redundancy - no need to reinstall after a drive failure, just slot in another £55 drive.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

12 hours ago, SteveW said:

Why not get an Optane and four 2T HDDs for under £300 gives 16Gb SSD performance as cached 4T array with iRST RAID10 redundancy - no need to reinstall after a drive failure, just slot in another £55 drive.

AFAIK Optane needs i7XXX processors, modern Optane supporting motherboards (with M2 slots) and the Optane system has to be used as system partition (usually C drive). So it won't work for OPs current system.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Yep intel only as well. You need iRST so you can boot from RAID. Look out for it on newer systems.

Nemo if you get into the discussion you will see mention of utilising HDDs to save money on big storage, and so my point not being aimed at the OP (obviously). RAID10 with four 2T M.2's on a card would be over £4000, but RAID10 with four 2T HDDs and an Optane would be less than £300 and performs as well for most apps.

...and then I was factoring in for reliability. HDDs are less reliable than SSDs as it was mentioned,  however even SSDs have built-in redundancy to increase reliability. But the RAID10 system is built for redundancy as I mention swapping out a £55 drive in the event one fails, no need to reinstall. SSD's are getting closer in cost now so the HDDs game is nearly over.