Sign in to follow this  
PIC007

Seen the new GEX scenery?

They have a lot of scenery.  Which one are you talking about.  North America?  Europe? Canada? GEP3D World Edition?  Maybe a link to the product?

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Is there a new product?

I have no idea what this is referring to?

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Came across this on Facebook, should have posted the link, sorry

Jay

The UTX/GEX combination is really shaping up to be a good alternative to the Orbx/FTX system. When I originally started flying FSX many years ago, I used the UTX/GEX scenery enhancements which were available at the time (I think that was just GEX Europe and North America) and I was very happy with them. Then I got caught up in the waves of Orbx/FTX enthusiasm and uninstalled GEX when the FTX Global Base addon appeared (but kept the vector elements of UTX as Orbx Vector had a few problems at first). Although I eventually acquired most Orbx/FTX products, I have however found myself frequently deactivating some of the more VAS intense Orbx regions (such as SoCal) particularly if flying a resource intense aircraft and just using UTX alone combined with FTX Global Base for texture and  autogen enhancement. This combination can also give a very acceptable appearance in FSX while reducing the risk of OOMs when using a resource intense aircraft.

Personally, having spent a lot of money on Orbx/FTX products I would find it a little difficult to justify switching back to the full range of UTX/GEX products now available. I would however advise anyone embarking on this hobby who hasn't yet purchased any scenery enhancement products to seriously consider the UTX/GEX system as a very viable alternative to FTX.

Bill

Interesting. I had not seen this. They call it GEP3D. The screen shots look fairly good.

I had GEX and when FTX Global came I switched to get full global coverage complimented the regions etc.

So now I have extremely heavy in FTX excepting only a few airports I have the works. And I use UTX where it has coverage, quite frankly still better than Vector for its areas of coverage.

Having said this...I just can't see buying yet another product like this...I could only be convinced if I saw a screen by screen comparison of spots around the world between FTX (regions and Global) with GEP3D and found that I like the new GEP3D over FTX Global. Along with seasonal shots.

Now if they made something for my XP I might give that a try.

• Upvote 1

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Not sure whether this should be going in the P3D Forum or staying here in the FSX Forum.  The OP is talking about GEP3D for P3DV4 and I see no reference to FSX (although I'm sure the product has been updated for FSX too).  So, will move it. 

I have had GEP3D World Edition from the day it was released (in 2014).  Went this route since I enjoyed GEX/UTX in FSX over the years and I know GEX had better optimized textures replacing the FSX defaults.  The latest GEP3D World Edition (v1.10) looks just as great as previous versions.  I have a few complaints about UTXv2 though as it still shows FSX in the Utility Setup even though I'm running P3DV4.  Makes me feel like it was not upgraded for P3D.  Yet the product works very well in P3DV4 so far.  They also have UTX Lights which is another great addition.  I do know the developer of GEP3D, NickN, develops excellent products and he has some suggested settings "he" uses for UTXv2 and UTX Lights.  Wish UTX would have an option to enable those settings as an option in the UTX Setup and the UTX Lights Setup.  I know he works with the developers of UTX and it would be easy for them to add this option.  I would also like to see all of their various folders, currently located in the P3D Scenery Folders, be setup to use the new Add-on Scenery xml files as recommended by the LM P3D SDK.  Maybe that will all appear in UTX v3 for P3D.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I also started with GEX/UTX back in my FSX days. I went to Orbx Global for P3D back then because it was...well...Global. Since then, I also invested in other FTX products.

GEP3D looks really good and I don't know which product I would go with if I were starting from scratch. I wish the team well with their products at Flight1.

• Upvote 1

I've stuck with GEP3d and UTX since about 2015 or so, I know they don't seem to hit FPS much, if at all.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's