Sign in to follow this  

FEATURE REQUEST: don't save position with Static camera

Hi Keven,

I noticed the updates last night ... looking good and agree on the clipping when very close to objects on outside camera.  Interesting value to play with if one gets z-fighting issues but I'm not really sure why clipping would impact precision (aka z-fighting), but I guess it does.

Also noticed you made the 737 immersion V4 aware now ... if only I could get MJC to stop dragging their feet and get the Q done for V4 so you can get that immersion converted also. :)

Cheers, Rob.

I played around with it directly in memory, changing and calibrating it directly in the sim. They pretty much have it dialed it by default. This variable should be dynamic and change depending on the position of the camera so we might add this as a feature at some point.

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Can I remove that NearClipOverride=5.0 ?I really love the static camera to explore the scenery walking around but it now it clips way to much. Als walking around the plane does not work now because of the clipping.

Kimo

Hi Keven,

Sorry to bring this back from the dead ... is it possible you could integrate NearClipOverride=x.x values (for outside camera and I guess the static camera also) as an option in the CP UI?  Allow end users the ability to experiment with values Off, 0-5.0? 

I can obviously add this back manually, and I can see the benefits of keeping the value lower as it allows for closer camera views without clipping.  But for the majority of camera work I do "outside" the z-fighting in the background is a big distraction (viewers aren't looking at the primary focus, the aircraft, but they are looking at all the flickering in the background and commenting on it).  

Since others don't seem to mind the z-fighting issues (to each his or her own), this makes for a good UI candidate allowing end users more flexibility and satisfies before ends of the spectrum.

Cheers, Rob.

We will check for an option.

We will have to rollback this change for all users as it creates more problems than solutions.

For now, you can still add it manually.

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

3 hours ago, Keven Menard said:

We will have to rollback this change for all users as it creates more problems than solutions.

Could you elaborate on the "problems"?

I haven't encountered any issues and I solves a rather nasty z-fighting issue (texture flickering) - can't imagine end user are "ok" with the texture flickering that will happen without this setting?  Seems like a fairly good compromise to me with minimal downside.

Cheers, Rob.

From the feedback we received, people want to be able to get close to the aircraft and ground without clipping. For most, it's more important than having z-fighting in the distance.

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

30 minutes ago, Keven Menard said:

people want to be able to get close to the aircraft and ground without clipping.

But you can still get close with the NearClip setting - down to the rivets ... any closer and one sees ugly texture compression.  The feedback I've received from my YouTube channel videos with the z-fighting issue have usually been comments like "what's wrong with ChasePlane" or "what's wrong with P3D" and I respond by providing the NearClip setting which most seem to be happy with.

Anyway, since there doesn't appear to be consensus, I'd love to see an option in the CP UI for nearclip values for both Static and Outside camera (best of both worlds).  In the meantime I'll do the manual entries.

Cheers, Rob.

We understand the issue and totally agree that an option for that would make a lot of sense.

What would be the most logical answer to this issue and to make this new option more flexible, we might add a section where you can add custom lines to each camera definition. That way, it covers much more than just the NearClip setting.

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Hi All,

Sorry to bring up a thread from the dead, but I figured better to revive one that start a fresh on the same topic.

I'm seeing lots of flickering textures at a number of 3rd Party airports when using the CP Outside (spot) cameras. I notice in my camera definition profile for that camera "ClipMode=Mnimum". In the CP onboad definition I see "Clipmode=None".

I've tried tinkering with these settings and the setting @Rob Ainscough has discussed above but I don't have a clear understanding of what they do, or if in fact these settings might actually be conflicting with each other. Can somebody elaborate on what the different ClipModes=?

Cheers,

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs