Sign in to follow this  
tanker

Cold and Dark Start

Hi,

I've had some enjoyable flights when starting with "Ready to Taxi", but when I try the "Cold and Dark", the engines start, but go to maximum towque and don't respond to the throttles. I' doing my best to follow the checklist, but I'm obviously doing something wrong. This is the FSX version and I'm using a CH throttle quadrant. I've tried placing the throttles momentarily in reverse, both before and after start, but no difference. What am I doing wrong?

Dale

Dale

26 minutes ago, tanker said:

What am I doing wrong?

Nothing! That's the good news.  You can try this method (copy & paste from the 690B bug thread)

---------

The problem is the condition lever. With e.g. the PT6 the condition lever is in the OFF position until the engine RPM is at around 10-12%, thereafter you advance the condition lever to low idle and fuel flow starts.

With the TPE331 the engine is started with the condition lever already in the low position but IRL there's no fuel flow yet. 

Unfortunately in FSX fuel flow starts as soon as you push the starter button in this case happen and as soon as the engine ignites you get a hot start, the EGT/ITT shoots up and RPM horrible increases.

To avoid this, you should use the procedure to get the temp below 300°C which means keep the condition lever in the OFF position until RPM doesn't increase anymore during motoring.

Then advance the condition lever to LO.

1 hour ago, J35OE said:

To avoid this, you should use the procedure to get the temp below 300°C which means keep the condition lever in the OFF position until RPM doesn't increase anymore during motoring.

Then advance the condition lever to LO.

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. I set the condition levers as low as they would go (tool tip shows 0%), hit the starter and the engine immediately went to 100% torque. I tried it without the CH Throttle and got the same result.

Dale

Try the keycommand (or axis) for 'propeller decrease RPM'. The condition lever and the prop lever are tied together in the 441. One of these should hopefully work?!

Re-installed and setting the prop/condition levers to 0% works for engine start.  Confirm you have v1.3 installed?

Just to make sure, the tooltips are saying 'propeller' not 'condition' lever.

With these levers at 0% they are still in the 'start & taxi' position. They need to be in the 'emer shut off' position (tooltip 'feathered') to close the fuel valve.

You can't move the prop levers with the mouse below 0%. You have to use the key command for 'propeller rpm decrease' or to calibrate your hardware axis accordingly.

Ok, got it to work by using the key commands to get the condition/prop levers to "emerg shutoff". 

On pushing the start button, the engine rpm quickly goes to 10% and then goes blank. When I move the condition lever to idle, the engine starts, but surges for a moment, then settles down to idle torque and rpm. This may be normal, I've never flown a real Conquest. 

I just bought this in late July, so I assume I have the latest version, but I will check.

Thanks for all the help!

Dale

Dale

No, the surge isn't normal but that's as good as the startup gets with Alabeo/Carenado planes. A more realistic engine start would require additional programming skills....