Sign in to follow this  
Shanbec

Service Based Failures

So, every time I exit a flight at the end of a flight using the PMDG 373NGX, FSX crashes on me. I think I saw somewhere that this is usual, but if you know of a fix, please let me know? Anyway, my question is, does this crash at the end of the flight stop service based failures from functioning properly? How exactly do service based failures work? I made a flight yesterday, and at the end checked the maintenance, it showed 242 hours until next service. When I checked it again after another flight today and it still said 242 hours. Have I got the wrong idea of something somewhere?

36 minutes ago, Shanbec said:

So, every time I exit a flight at the end of a flight using the PMDG 373NGX, FSX crashes on me. I think I saw somewhere that this is usual, but if you know of a fix, please let me know?

Yep it's known to the PMDG guys, I think they're looking into it.

36 minutes ago, Shanbec said:

Anyway, my question is, does this crash at the end of the flight stop service based failures from functioning properly? How exactly do service based failures work? I made a flight yesterday, and at the end checked the maintenance, it showed 242 hours until next service. When I checked it again after another flight today and it still said 242 hours. Have I got the wrong idea of something somewhere?

Make sure you're running the sim as admin (Right click > run as admin). They should update during the flight periodically and when you end flight. Are you going end flight then exit sim or exit straight from the flight?

48 minutes ago, Shanbec said:

does this crash at the end of the flight stop service based failures from functioning properly?

Yes it does.  The way to get those hours logged is to use the FSX menu to end the flight.  If it doesn't crash on that action then the hours will be saved. Then you can exit and not worry about the crash.  Those started happening to me years ago in Vista and when I move to Win7 they never reappeared... not saying it has anything to do with OS but only that the reason for the crash on exit can be very hard to find and most never have the problem.

Dan Downs KCRP

32 minutes ago, downscc said:

The way to get those hours logged is to use the FSX menu to end the flight.  

Wow - is this in the manuals? If so where? 

I have been flying hundreds of hours, and everything has always worked perfect. But its always seemed odd to me I would have thought as I accumulated that many hours failures would happen - and they never do.

However, at the end of the flight, I X out of flight sim - which considering what you just said would mean that every single flight I complete is not logged, and the hours never accumulate.

Is there a way to artificially bump up the flight hour log so I can insert the few hundred hours I've logged and crashed out of?

21 minutes ago, Nick Dobda said:

I have been flying hundreds of hours, and everything has always worked perfect. But its always seemed odd to me I would have thought as I accumulated that many hours failures would happen - and they never do.

However, at the end of the flight, I X out of flight sim - which considering what you just said would mean that every single flight I complete is not logged, and the hours never accumulate.

Is there a way to artificially bump up the flight hour log so I can insert the few hundred hours I've logged and crashed out of?

You can increase the rate in the FMC.

4 hours ago, Nick Dobda said:

Nick, the hours should log if you exit FSX normally. That advice was only for the OP having FSX crash on exit.

Dan Downs KCRP

On 8/3/2017 at 3:44 PM, downscc said:

Yes it does.  The way to get those hours logged is to use the FSX menu to end the flight.  If it doesn't crash on that action then the hours will be saved. Then you can exit and not worry about the crash.  Those started happening to me years ago in Vista and when I move to Win7 they never reappeared... not saying it has anything to do with OS but only that the reason for the crash on exit can be very hard to find and most never have the problem.

At the end of a session, I press Esc on my keyboard and click "end flight" or whatever the option is, I cannot remember the exact wording. It's at this point that the program stops responding and crashes. Anyway, it appears that saving the panel state before exiting, and loading that same panel state on the next flight allows the time until next maintenance to decrease. Is this actually a way around my simulator crashing, or have I got this wrong?

1 minute ago, Shanbec said:

At the end of a session, I press Esc on my keyboard and click "end flight" or whatever the option is, I cannot remember the exact wording.

There are different ways to close the simulator... sometimes people report that not all of those result in a crash on closing.  i was suggesting  that be investigated.  Using the File menu item for end session should bring up a selection menu to start new flight or load flight or exit simulator. If you do anything except exit then the flight you just finished should have the PMDG hours saved.  If you exit with a crash then the PMDG module is not able to do the end of session tasks because its world is crashing.

Dan Downs KCRP

On 8/5/2017 at 5:30 PM, downscc said:

There are different ways to close the simulator... sometimes people report that not all of those result in a crash on closing.  i was suggesting  that be investigated.  Using the File menu item for end session should bring up a selection menu to start new flight or load flight or exit simulator. If you do anything except exit then the flight you just finished should have the PMDG hours saved.  If you exit with a crash then the PMDG module is not able to do the end of session tasks because its world is crashing.

So, click "File" and then click "Start new flight" or "Load flight" so it saves the hours before crashing?

35 minutes ago, Shanbec said:

So, click "File" and then click "Start new flight" or "Load flight" so it saves the hours before crashing?

Yup. The simulator tells the PMDG module to unload and before doing so it updates its configuration files.

Dan Downs KCRP

On 8/12/2017 at 0:03 AM, downscc said:

Yup. The simulator tells the PMDG module to unload and before doing so it updates its configuration files.

Yeah, that works. Thanks for your help.