Sign in to follow this  
awash2002

full throttle

When I fly the Pilatus PC12 I normally leave the power lever at full throttle at cruise for climb I bring it back one notch to set climb power.  My question is by running it at full throttle in cruise up at FL260 will that hurt the engine?

max T/O is ~43psi   and  max clb/crz  ~37psi.  IRL you would exceed the engine limits by using full throttle but as this is an older Carenado plane it doesn't simulate engine failure due to overtorque.

In reality, yes it would, high power settings for the PT6 are limited to five mins to avoid not so much damage, as reduced time between overhauls, and so long as the aircraft you have simulates real behaviour (unlikely in the case of the Carenado PC12) then you would too.

Of course it's up to you if you want to follow real worl procedures since even if the simulated aeroplane doesn't actually simulate engine damage of that sort, there is nothing to stop you from adhering to the correct procedures and imagining that it would. If you wanna do all that stuff, here you go, the real aeroplane's POH (all 854 pages of it lol, of course you only have to read the engine bit) if you want to download it:

http://www.avialogs.com/en/aircraft/switzerland/pilatus/pc-12/pilatus-pc12-45-pilots-operating-handbook-and-foca-approved-airplane-flight-manual.html

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

You have to subscribe to that site to be able to download the POH I'm going to use 37psi as climb and cruise power 

In the real aircraft as you get into the Flight Levels you become ITT limited, 760 is the max ITT however many SOP's limit you to 720 on the ITT. HOWEVER, Carenado has a particularly awful simulation of the PT6 and you won't have an increase in ITT for a given increase in altitude. I don't think you can even reach peak ITT at cruise.

1 hour ago, wnowviskie said:

HOWEVER, Carenado has a particularly awful simulation of the PT6 and you won't have an increase in ITT for a given increase in altitude.

Interesting, as I do think that their PT6 simulation is quite good apart from the ITT/EGT problem. That's how FSX calculates this and without additional programming skills this is a good as it gets. Furthermore in the PT6 powered planes I used to fly IRL I seldom encountered the ITT limit, most of the time it was the torque limit that had to be observed.

IMO the ITT/EGT  problem is not worse than the awful default FSX/P3D mixture or trim simulation :wink:

I think it *feels* good but it's impossible to fly their turboprops "by the numbers" in FSX/P3D. X-Plane is a slightly different story. I still really like the P3D PC-12 though.

14 minutes ago, wnowviskie said:

I think it *feels* good but it's impossible to fly their turboprops "by the numbers" in FSX/P3D.

I'm using the RW manuals for comparison and apart from the ITT/EGT 'problem' e.g. climb & cruise performance is usually within 2% of the book values.

When I use the book figures the fuel flow is wrong when I'm at FL260 and at 26.6TRQ for cruise I get 383 not the 373 the book says but I found a new cruise setting 24.0TRQ and I get 245ktas True which is where I like to run the PC12 now before I discovered this power setting I was running it full throttle so I'm going to experiment with 26.0 and see what I get J350E I wish Carenado would refine their aircraft a bit more

19 minutes ago, awash2002 said:

1.When I use the book figures the fuel flow is wrong when I'm at FL260 and at 26.6TRQ for cruise I get 383 not the 373 the book says

Wrong? Are you serious?  That's less than a 3% difference! Please note the performance data are for a new and well maintained airplane and IRL these figures can be much worse.

E.g. it's not unusual that even on well maintained airliners where fuel efficiency really matters that the fuel flow can be 5% higher than the original flight manual data.

I downloaded the real world poh from Pilatus for the PC-12 10 series which is what I have and I am using 24.0 trq and getting book figures I don't think I'll be using Carenado's performance charts also what surprised me is when I started using the bottom performance chart figures the endurance jumped from 6:00 to 7:00 hours endurance right now I'm getting 256 book says 255 fuel flow is 354 book says 345 I can get used to flying it at 24.1 psi trq