Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Saitek Throttle Quadrants - how easy to clean potentiometers?

4 minutes ago, zmak said:

You dont remove anything

1. attach straw to spray can

2. insert straw into gap between throttles of the closed saitek unit . somewhere near where the throttles would pivot but it doesn't really matter. just insert and spray for a few seconds in all 3 slots

3. move all three throttles around their axis several times

should take about 30 seconds.

4. go fly concord

I need to repeat this procedure every 12 months or so but its always the same result.

let us know how you go

Okay, thanks. If things get worse I'll try it. At the moment it's not causing a major problem.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,

Pots wear out the track gradually and leave bits of the track to interfere with the resistance up against the wiper. Best not to wet them as this can soften the track and then operate the wiper, instead blow them so the dust comes away while gently operating the wiper. Eventually the wiper wears through the track and they can't be salvaged.

• Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

16 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Hi Ray,

Pots wear out the track gradually and leave bits of the track to interfere with the resistance up against the wiper. Best not to wet them as this can soften the track and then operate the wiper, instead blow them so the dust comes away while gently operating the wiper. Eventually the wiper wears through the track and they can't be salvaged.

Thanks for the advice Steve. I'm not sure what you mean when you talk about the wiper.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Here you go Ray,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potentiometer

The track is usually made of carbon or such material, and the wiper is the variable metal part that moves on the spindle.

• Upvote 2

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

14 minutes ago, Jude Bradley said:

Here you go Ray,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potentiometer

The track is usually made of carbon or such material, and the wiper is the variable metal part that moves on the spindle.

Thanks Jude. So looking at Steve's advice it still seems necessary to gain access to the potentiometer in order to blow the dirt and dust out. Or can it be done without a full disassemble?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Yes, to clean it out, you would need to get access to it, and since the parts are very small and tricky, consider paying someone to give them a quick clean. The real issue here is though that the parts are really cheap and nasty and won't really stand up to rough handling (as I found out). I did try spraying them but a few days later they were dirty again.You can actually buy aerosol cans of air to blow dust and dirt out.

Jude Bradley

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Thanks Jude, sound advice. I'll make enquiries with TV repair men. They should have the required skills.

In the long term I may look at the GoFlight throttle. Should anything happen to the quadrant purchased with the yoke it will probably be necessary to buy the yoke again since that throttle isn't available separately.

I've had GoFlight switches, buttons and comms modules for many years and the quality is a big step up.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hello Ray, the throttles are now available again. If it costs less than £30,to repair, you are still ahead of the game, but a new set from Aerosoft is about €60 (not including shipping).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B01MG4DCMD/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1501870751&sr=8-1&keywords=saitek+throttle

Jude Bradley

Hi Jude,

Yes but if you read the small print those are the additional throttles, not the one that ships with the yoke. You can only get that one by buying another yoke. They have you by the short and curlies. Including that PS/2 connection was deliberate to bind the throttle to the yoke.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

21 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The problem with that is you can't have 2 USB ones as Windows can't see them as separate devices. Nor can FSUIPC.

Ray, what makes you think that Windows won't see them both? As far as the OS is concerned, they are just three-axis USB input devices.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Just now, vortex681 said:

Ray, what makes you think that Windows won't see them both? As far as The OS is concerned, they are just three-axis USB input devices.

There was a discussion on Pete Dowson's forum a few years ago about these quadrants. Someone had two with USB connectors and they didn't have a unique identifier for Windows to separate them. So in FSUIPC they showed up as the same device ID. That's from memory.

But ask yourself why Saitek would have a PS/2 connector for one quadrant if it wasn't necessary?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

38 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Someone had two with USB connectors and they didn't have a unique identifier for Windows to separate them. So in FSUIPC they showed up as the same device ID.

There seem to be plenty of people successfully using 2 x USB Saitek quadrants. See here for just two examples:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/510681-problems-with-two-saitek-pro-flight-throttle-quadrants/

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/400320-two-saitek-usb-throttle-quadrants/

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

35 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

There seem to be plenty of people successfully using 2 x USB Saitek quadrants. See here for just two examples:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/510681-problems-with-two-saitek-pro-flight-throttle-quadrants/

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/400320-two-saitek-usb-throttle-quadrants/

I've never installed Saitek software so can't comment on the first problem. The second link had people still using the PS/2 port for the first quadrant.

Still doesn't explain why they use a PS/2 connection. Moot point for me as I won't be buying any more Saitek kit.  

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The second link had people still using the PS/2 port for the first quadrant.

But if you look in the second post, he has the yoke with the PS2 quadrant plus two additional USB quadrants.

4 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

But if you look in the second post, he has the yoke with the PS2 quadrant plus two additional USB quadrants.

You're missing my point. Show me where people have 2 quadrants both connected via USB with none connected via PS/2.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather