Sign in to follow this  
FlyBaby

Anyone has / had OpusFSI?

Can anyone comment on the camera and weather system, ease of use etc?

I recently purchased ASP4/ASCA, which both have to run alongside the sim. I am now considering Chaseplane....that also has to run alongside the sim. I also have Trackir...running.

I am ultimately trying to cut down on the number of programs running alongside the sim (not to mention the Flight1 GTN 750 and FS-FlightControl that I plan to get).

So...it seems like OpusFSI can at least kill 3 birds with one stone, but I can't find much (review wise) on the product. 

I have had it since it came out and Love it , the cameras take a bit of getting used to but once you have one it's a piece of cake, you  can't go wrong with it. Worst case 

Scenario if you have problems get a hold of Stephen and Cheryl and they will help you.  Lot's of people gave up on it because it is a very complex program at first , but I couldn't fly with out 

it. I can send you a default camera setup I have for a GA plane to get you started if you get it.      Best Money I have ever spent. 

• Upvote 2

I too have had it from day 1 and love it!

It does everything I need with weather and views.

Also, and this is major for me....  Support from the developer is OUTSTANDING!

• Upvote 2

I use the even older version than OpusFSI --------->  OpusFSX.

......and it works perfectly with P3Dv4!    I use it mainly because I love the camera shaking effects (DHM), the simple interface and the in-sim weather and airport data it provides in a standard FSX/P3D style window.    If I used Activesky, I'd still want to run Opus for it's DHM effects, and don't really want too many apps running alongside the sim.

• Upvote 2

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Opus has the only interactive Buttkicker program that I'm aware of.  Nice to get different (and scalable) vibrations for taxiing, landings, flaps, gear, turbulence and more !!

• Upvote 3

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

It's very, very good. Best camera effects of any program IMHO. The effects were actually recorded on a c172 and a b737 I believe to give a wide range of dynamic camera movements / shake effects based on the size of the aircraft selected.

The weather engine is also excellent and was the first one to use dynamic themes and to this day again imho, provides the most realistic effect of actually flying towards weather fronts and systems.

Persoanlly, I don't understand why it's not mentioned more. It seems to be treated as a non contender. All I see people mention is ezdok and the newcomer chaseplane yet opus has been around for ages and combines many things into one package.

it gets many, regular updates and features added. Awesome program.

Big thumbs up from me.

• Upvote 4

I use ASN and OpusFSI on my set-up (FSX SP2). Can't comment on either EZCA or Chaseplane since I do not have them but so far I am very happy with my combination of ASN with REX4 and Soft Clouds and OpusFSI for my cameras. As mentioned above the head movement and aircraft shake effects are terrific. The cameras part of Opus may not be as advanced as the newer and dedicated Chaseplane offering but the immersion I get with the programmes I mentioned above and the FSL A320 is second to none. And yes, support for Opus is excellent.

• Upvote 3

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

3 hours ago, GHarrall said:

It's very, very good. Best camera effects of any program IMHO. The effects were actually recorded on a c172 and a b737 I believe to give a wide range of dynamic camera movements / shake effects based on the size of the aircraft selected.

The weather engine is also excellent and was the first one to use dynamic themes and to this day again imho, provides the most realistic effect of actually flying towards weather fronts and systems.

Persoanlly, I don't understand why it's not mentioned more. It seems to be treated as a non contender. All I see people mention is ezdok and the newcomer chaseplane yet opus has been around for ages and combines many things into one package.

Big thumbs up from me.

My guess it isn't talked about more over here is ever since PMDG birds have ASN weather integration - everyone went for that.  I do remember before PMDG birds had ASN integration, OpusFSX at that time was mentioned a lot.  That is how I bought it back then b/c it was preferred app.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

4 hours ago, vp49p3 said:

Opus has the only interactive Buttkicker program that I'm aware of.  Nice to get different (and scalable) vibrations for taxiing, landings, flaps, gear, turbulence and more !!

That's a good point, I have a Buttkicker, but it stopped working a year ago and I haven't really investigated why. OpusFSI will definitely give the incentive to get it working again.

Hi

Have you seen Sim Shaker for aviators. I use it with 2 buttkickers in P3d and DSC. No need for opus any more as I found these effects better, using a Sound blaster play usb card through to a standard amp to the buttkickers. I have found this set up a lot better than when I was using buttkickers own amps actually.

This link will give you an idea  https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=175028

Ken

• Upvote 2

I used until recently, since the OpusFSX version. I didn't like the Weather part of it, when I changed to AS16 it was like night and day! Then recently I also changed the Camera part of it to ChasePlane, which is pleasing me a lot and interacts much better with panning, etc. The only thing that ChasePlane is lacking that OpusFSI had better is the shaking effect, both for turbulence and ground roll/pavement roughness. But I must say that I haven't been dealing with the internal settings of ChasePlane that might improve it.

• Upvote 1

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

7 hours ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

I used until recently, since the OpusFSX version. I didn't like the Weather part of it, when I changed to AS16 it was like night and day! Then recently I also changed the Camera part of it to ChasePlane, which is pleasing me a lot and interacts much better with panning, etc. The only thing that ChasePlane is lacking that OpusFSI had better is the shaking effect, both for turbulence and ground roll/pavement roughness. But I must say that I haven't been dealing with the internal settings of ChasePlane that might improve it.

Well, I have to say OPUS FSI v5 still gives me the most realistic weather compared to what I see out of my window. It also still gives the best effect of actually flying towards weather systems on the horizon.

• Upvote 1

On August 3, 2017 at 5:14 PM, GHarrall said:

Big thumbs up from me.

Glenn I have Opus FSI V4. It's working fine with p3d 4. I read v5 new features and improvement list but nothing there to upgrade for me. Do you see any difference in v5 compared to v4? 

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

i used Opus for years and loved it. In the last little while I gave up on it because it became far to confusing to follow all the changes. The discussions in the forums became far to too technical and frustrating for someone who just wanted a great wheather engine. I changed to AS 4 and am happy I did. I am not certain wether they have sorted out the P3D v4 problems but then again I have not followed their forums lately. I have more time to fly ;)

Regards,

Rolf

Edited by Rolfspan
Corrected spelling

5 hours ago, Rolfspan said:

i used Opus for years and loved it. In the last little while I gave up on it because it became far to confusing to follow all the changes. The discussions in the forums became far to too technical and frustrating for someone who just wanted a great wheather engine. I changed to AS 4 and am happy I did. I am not certain wether they have sorted out the P3D v4 problems but then again I have not followed their forums lately. I have more time to fly ;)

Regards,

Rolf

Hi Rolf,

Indeed, too confusing for me also. I just took your advice and recently upgraded Active Sky Next to the latest P3Dv4 version. Enjoying it immensely!

Sorry I could not joint the rest of the Flightsim New Brunswick Club members in Saint John or get over to see your rig.

Maybe next time!

Kind regards,

• Upvote 1