Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Scenery question about Prepar3dv4

Hi

Could somebody please help me out.

I have installed T2g EDDM into a folder with a p3d exe in it.

In the EDDM folder there are four folders,bin,data,doc and effects.

When I follow the steps Jim outlined up thread,when I press submit I get an error  Folder does not contain scenery data

Thanks for any help

Brian.

7 hours ago, Jim Young said:

This is how I do it.  It is very basic but shows you how easy it is to just add a scenery using the Addon Organizer -

First of all you need to download and install the Addon_Organizer from Lorby_Si.  Once installed, you will have an icon on your desktop such as the following.  Double click the icon to open.

Addon_Organizer.png

This is what you will see when you open the program.  Dark green means the program has been added to your Documents/Prepar3Dv4 Add-Ons folder.  Light green means the scenery is only in the Scenery Library/Scenery.cfg.  I want to add Washington X so I will click on Add Scenery as follows:

Addon_Organizer_01.png

This is what you will see once you click on Add Scenery.  You now want to click on 'Select Scenery'.

Addon_Organizer_02.png

This will open up your directories on your system as follows.  Go to the folder where Washington X (or the scenery you want to add) is located and select it -

Addon_Organizer_03.png

The following screen will appear.  Note that the program automatically names the Add-on.xml as Washington X.  You can name it whatever you want and provide a description but I would leave the description blank.  You now simply click on 'Submit'

Addon_Organizer_04.png

When you click on 'Submit' the following screen will appear and you will see WashingtonX was added.  It will appear at the top of all of the scenery and you will have to use the "Down" button on the left to move the scenery down to where you want it located in your scenery.cfg.  You MUST click Save at the bottom to save the add-on.xml.

Addon_Organizer_05.png

That's it!  Very basic. 

You also would want to add a component to the scenery such as Texture, Scripts, perhaps Effects, Sound, etc., that came with the scenery.  In this case, click Other addons tab at top and then click on Add Component. You will see Categories of things that can be added and Texture is one.  Go to the directory where Washington X (an example) is located, click on Texture folder and then click on Submit.  If the Washington X folder has Scripts, you will want to add that too.  FS Dreamteam addons are already listed in the Component section.  You can see what they did to add their components.  Make sure you click on Save when you are finished with Components or the component will not be added.

Many add-on developers will do everything I stated above when they install the scenery but most will not.  As I stated at the beginning, if the scenery is shown in dark green, it has been successfully added and no further action is required on your part.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

Hi Jim, 

I've just had a look at what you've excellently described. If the scenery is in Prepar3D V3 and I want to add it to V4 would I just follow your steps but for the Preoar3D V3 folder on my system? I notice you did it with the Prepar3D V4 folder. 

Many thanks, 

Jonathan 

- Jonathan Daley

1 hour ago, sapper said:

I have installed T2g EDDM into a folder with a p3d exe in it.

In the EDDM folder there are four folders,bin,data,doc and effects.

When I follow the steps Jim outlined up thread,when I press submit I get an error  Folder does not contain scenery data

You have to find the folder that was installed for your scenery.  It should be something like EDDM/Scenery.  A Texture folder will also be there.  Looks like the EDDM folder you are seeing is the installation of the program folder.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

3 minutes ago, Jonathan93102 said:

Hi Jim, 

I've just had a look at what you've excellently described. If the scenery is in Prepar3D V3 and I want to add it to V4 would I just follow your steps but for the Preoar3D V3 folder on my system? I notice you did it with the Prepar3D V4 folder. 

Many thanks, 

Jonathan 

Yes.  Many people, when they update a sim like we did from P3DV3 to V4, will leave their add-on scenery intact.  I usually keep my old P3D scenery.cfg too as it shows exactly where the scenery is located.  After installing P3DV4, I'll move the V3 Scenery.cfg to the V4 Scenery.cfg folder and I instantly have all of my former addons showing.

But, to add scenery by using the Addon.xml format, you just click on Select Scenery and go to the folder that has the v3 scenery and make an addon.xml for it.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

29 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Yes.  Many people, when they update a sim like we did from P3DV3 to V4, will leave their add-on scenery intact.  I usually keep my old P3D scenery.cfg too as it shows exactly where the scenery is located.  After installing P3DV4, I'll move the V3 Scenery.cfg to the V4 Scenery.cfg folder and I instantly have all of my former addons showing.

But, to add scenery by using the Addon.xml format, you just click on Select Scenery and go to the folder that has the v3 scenery and make an addon.xml for it.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks for that Jim. I shall attempt it tomorrow with Latin VFR Bermuda. Doing it this way shouldn't corrupt my V4 by not running the outdated installers. 

Thanks, 

Jonathan 

- Jonathan Daley

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

Best regards,

Jim

Hey Jim -- by moving your scenery.cfg directly from v3 to v4 aren't you having problems with the v3 scenery.cfg being in ASCII text and the v4 version in UTF encoding?

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

43 minutes ago, pgde said:

Hey Jim -- by moving your scenery.cfg directly from v3 to v4 aren't you having problems with the v3 scenery.cfg being in ASCII text and the v4 version in UTF encoding?

My scenery.cfg is still not in UTF encoding and P3D reads it with no problems.  I was able to get the config properly encoded once and believe it occurred when I opened it up with the P3D Scenery Library.  Then I opened it up with the latest SceneryConfigEditor and it destroyed the coding again so leaving it all alone.  It works and man does not fix things that do not need to be fixed.  If I wanted, I could delete it and have it rebuilt to the default and that would make it properly encoded and then go into my directories and slowly start adding all of my addons but that's not going to happen.  I have 99% of all of my addons moved over to the Addon.xml format.  Only Ultimate Terrain 2 remains in the Library.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Hi all, 

I've tried this out this evening as I had some spare time and it worked really well. Few issues with Latin VFR Bermuda but I presume that is because it is so old. Thanks to Jim for taking the time to explain it.

Enjoy the rest of the week,

Jonathan

- Jonathan Daley

Hey, thanks Jonathan.  Glad it worked for you too.  We'll all become experts at this one day. 

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 9:33 AM, Jim Young said:

This is how I do it.  It is very basic but shows you how easy it is to just add a scenery using the Addon Organizer -

Hi JIm,,

Thanks for your efforts describing the new addon.xml process for P3Dv4. I've been trying to follow along and feel generally comfortable with the Lorby tool. But I do have a question...

If I were trying to add -2- sceneries, say Boston & San Diego, via the Lorby tool...

Would I create 1 .xml file for each scenery, or would I try to create 1 overall .xml file with info for both scenaries in the 1 combined .xml file. I think where I'm losing it is that I envision there is -1- .xml file, named add-on.xml. Or should there be 2 files, boston.xml & sandiego.xml

Hope I explained this well enough.

Thanks,

Mike

No, you must have one xml for each scenery.  If the scenery folder has components like Texture, you would add the component to the xml you created.  This is done on the next tab, "Other Addons".  The scenery folder may have Autogen or Scripts or Effects too.  And they would be added to the xml for that scenery you created.  You would just select Add component and then select the Addon XML and then go down and indicate the category and then select the path.

When you create a scenery, look in Documents/Prepar3Dv4Add-ons and you will see all of the Scenery XML's you have created. They will all run when you load P3D unless you go into Options/Addons within the P3D Menu or disable it in the Lorby Si Addon Organizer.  No need to open up the Scenery Library or Scenery.cfg anymore.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM