Sign in to follow this  
urgeflaske

Moving shadows

Hi!

Im experiencing something weird in my P3D V4. When looking outside there are shadows from the clouds on the ground. But when i move around the shadows kinda follows my movement. They get bigger, smaller, changing shape and so on. I think it looks really bad and im wondering if anyone else see this in their sim?

Here the shadows look good. But just when i look either left, right, up or down the shadow changes it shape:

http://i.imgur.com/6KxSHdY.jpg

this problem was in v3 as well. apparently nothing can be done for it. It looks terrible

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Yep same here I posted a video in another thread, immersion killing.  Imo the shadows are kinda messed up in P3Dv4.  I've come from FSX SE with the DX10 fixer and the shadows imo were much better in the VC.  In P3D v4 I have shadows appearing/disappearing when I pan around, depends on the angle of the sun/time of day etc its really annoying.

Thomas Derbyshire

I can't say I've noticed shadows moving around.  And I've never seen them appear and disappear....I'll keep an eye out for this phenomena.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

41 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

Yep same here I posted a video in another thread, immersion killing.  Imo the shadows are kinda messed up in P3Dv4.  I've come from FSX SE with the DX10 fixer and the shadows imo were much better in the VC.  In P3D v4 I have shadows appearing/disappearing when I pan around, depends on the angle of the sun/time of day etc its really annoying.

Could you post the video? I cant seem to find it

Another annoying problem is the shimmering of cloud shadows, or when the clouds are near or touching mountain peaks, they flicker and it looks bad. I wonder when LM will finally fix these annoyances once and for good. i really hope P3D v4.1 will finally address these shimmering shadows/clouds issues.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

This as fixed somewhat by increasing my shadow draw quality but its still not completely eliminated

This one is apparently just how it is, hope there is a fix soon

The cloud flickering across peaks is annoying as well, something which used to really bother me in FSX and I believed was a non issue in P3D because the clouds are volumetric.

Thomas Derbyshire

The second video shows what is really annoying also on my end. I do not really understand that not more people are complaining about this issue.

EDIT: you should use the second video in the P3D forums to get some feedback from there. I wonder if they are aware of this...

What I also have in addition to this: I often see some kind of squeezed shadows when looking around out of my vc that move along the ground just next to my plane, an issue already existed in v3 and also never resolved. Hard to describe, I might also make a movie to illustrate it.

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Yea I will post the 2nd video over at LM, someone else suggested that on the other thread.  I believe there are some fundamental issues fixed in 4.1 so be interesting to see what they are.  For me DL lights takes too much of a toll on FPS particularly using 4 x SSAA (I have a 1070).  4 x SSAA is needed to cure the horrible flickering and shimmering at night time.  Anything less and it looks a complete mess.  Not to mention these dodgy shadow issues as well.

• Upvote 1

Thomas Derbyshire

You should post both videos up. I also get that annoying rain issue where it randomly stops and comes back for no reason, not sure whats causing that. Really hope LM will fix these issues once and for all.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

3 hours ago, sidfadc said:

This as fixed somewhat by increasing my shadow draw quality but its still not completely eliminated

This one is apparently just how it is, hope there is a fix soon

The cloud flickering across peaks is annoying as well, something which used to really bother me in FSX and I believed was a non issue in P3D because the clouds are volumetric.

About the first video: try increasing cloud shadow cast distance. Should solve the problem.

Happy Flying,

Massimo Burti

Intel Core i9-13900K ¦ 64GB DDR4-3200 - 2x 32GB - Kingston Fury Beast - black ¦ 2x 2TB - m.2 NVMe Gen4 - Samsung 980 Pro ¦ Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4  ¦ Asus TUF RTX 3080 Gaming OC LHR - 12GB ¦ 1000W - 80+ Platinum - Seasonic Prime PX

Yes this is what I said in my post above "This as fixed somewhat by increasing my shadow draw quality but its still not completely eliminated"

Thomas Derbyshire

Increasing shadow quality isn't a fix, its just a temporary workaround. LM needs to fix this once and for good. Some people don't want to run with a setting of higher or above for shadows due to an affect on system performance.

59 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

Yes this is what I said in my post above "This as fixed somewhat by increasing my shadow draw quality but its still not completely eliminated"

edit: humbly apologize gents, "shadow draw distance" not "cloud shadow cast distance" (that was for V3.x).

Massimo Burti

Intel Core i9-13900K ¦ 64GB DDR4-3200 - 2x 32GB - Kingston Fury Beast - black ¦ 2x 2TB - m.2 NVMe Gen4 - Samsung 980 Pro ¦ Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4  ¦ Asus TUF RTX 3080 Gaming OC LHR - 12GB ¦ 1000W - 80+ Platinum - Seasonic Prime PX