Sign in to follow this  
urgeflaske

Moving shadows

@sidfadc: do you use PTA? I got this possible fix from the P3D Forums:

"in the cloud section, deactivate "cloud shadow depth" and "cloud shadows extended size"

I will try this as soon as I am home, as I use PTA, I hope this will fix it on my end.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

34 minutes ago, AnkH said:

"in the cloud section, deactivate "cloud shadow depth" and "cloud shadows extended size"

I will try this as soon as I am home, as I use PTA, I hope this will fix it on my end.

Yes I do, thanks will check out my preset.

Thomas Derbyshire

1 hour ago, AnkH said:

Interesting, I'll have to try this as well with PTA.

Eric 

Interesting discussion.

I set my cloud shadows to the max I haven't noticed this yet.

I'm going to trying flying today and see if I can replicate this and the rain thing.

Bryan

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

21 hours ago, AnkH said:

I only have cloud shadows extended size checked in PTA.  Unchecking this didn't make any difference.  I still see cloud shadows popping up and disappearing when I pan around.

Thomas Derbyshire

Same here, unchecking this option does not fix it. I will try with PTA completely deactivated once and see, if this helps. I start to guess that without fix from LM, we will always see this "effect" to a certain amount. It seems that it is related to the fact that the engine does render only cloud shadows that are in sight to reduce load, this would explain the phenomenon.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

What I also have in addition to this: I often see some kind of squeezed shadows when looking around out of my vc that move along the ground just next to my plane, an issue already existed in v3 and also never resolved. Hard to describe, I might also make a movie to illustrate it.

I think that I know what you mean by this. I only just realised this weekend that I did not have shadows enabled for my UK2000 airports (I needed to activate Sim Objects to receive shadows), and I noticed a shadow "blob" to the left of my aircraft during push back. I also noted that shadows of various objects moved when I changed position (eg. the shadow of a light post moved down the side of the terminal building at EGPD Aberdeen as I pushed back from the gate).

Very strange indeed. I am seeing this in P3D v3.3.5, so evidently the issue has not been corrected for v4.

My shadow quality is set to High.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Does anyone know what is the reason for this little visual bug? Check shadows on the left, just above the grey marks of the parking positions. Those shadows move around when flying and are only visible at certain view angles.

2017-8-11_17-35-51-343pb79.jpg

Greetings, Chris

AnkH is that on a 3rd party airport, if it is it may be 3rd party's problem. I see the oil marks on most of the parking spots I see in the pic. It could be the settings they used to make oil spots to look more real.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Regarding the rain starting and stopping, may I ask if you are using Active Sky? I see this only when flying with AS running. I believe this is the way that AS presents intermittent rain showers. If you look at the radar, you should see the small clusters of rain showers moving across the screen. I'm not too fond of the abrupt start and stop of the rain, but I doubt that Hifi can do very much to control it. That is something that LM would have to implement.

ps, this is with detailed precip enabled.

16 hours ago, jimcarrel said:

AnkH is that on a 3rd party airport, if it is it may be 3rd party's problem. I see the oil marks on most of the parking spots I see in the pic. It could be the settings they used to make oil spots to look more real.

No, this is default Changi Airport. I am also not talking about the oil marks but about the shadow to the left of them. I see that on every airport.

Greetings, Chris

5 hours ago, AnkH said:

No, this is default Changi Airport. I am also not talking about the oil marks but about the shadow to the left of them. I see that on every airport.

Not being a smart xxx but have you considered windshield reflections, dirt, etc? 

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Might be. But I see it all the time, depending on the plane it is more or less obvious. Strange issue, I know it is not completely understandable without moving images, but I do not know how to take a movie.

Greetings, Chris

@AnkH

I also have this small "moving" shadow spots. When i sit in the plane on the ground and look out of the window and moving
my head, the shadows moves with the view direction.
This shadows appear depending on the sunshine and clouds, so are not always present.
Had tested with Pta and standard shaders, the difference is only in the brightness of the
shadow spots.

I'm afraid this is also related to the shadow bug of p3d v4.

Currently my work around is, the brightness of die cloud shadows set a bit brighter, so it does not get too much...

Regards

Jens