Sign in to follow this  
Phill Morgan

737 Sound Separation

Hi,

In the real B738, I know that many sounds such as navigation aids, TCAS warnings, GWPS warnings & call outs are audible through the pilot headsets and/or the speaker of the aircraft. Is there any way of getting those warnings and callouts through the headset, whilst keeping all other sounds such as engines etc, on the main speakers? I don't mind getting hold of additional software or hardware to achieve this if I need to, I just don't know where to start.

I have found ProSim737 and SimAvionics which will do the job, but I do not want to move away from PMDG as I am not ready to dive in to building a flight deck!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Phill Morgan

How sure are you sure that they are audible through the headsets on the real thing?

Brian Nellis

26 minutes ago, Copper. said:

How sure are you sure that they are audible through the headsets?

I do not have any personal experience, but how else would the pilot flying hear warnings if using a headset?

These sounds are not heard through the pilot headsets. Pilot headset are only for voice coms, and hearing the morse code for identifying navaids as far as I know. All the other sounds are coming from speakers inside the cockpit.

Regarding your question it is not possible as far as I know to separate them. THe other software you are mentioning are for cockpit builders.

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

Just now, Olympic260 said:

These sounds are not heard through the pilot headsets. Pilot headset are only for voice coms, and hearing the morse code for identifying navaids as far as I know. All the other sounds are coming from speakers inside the cockpit.

Regarding your question it is not possible as far as I know to separate them. THe other software you are mentioning are for cockpit builders.

Ok, many thanks for the info, if I ever feel the need I'll have to make the switch to one of the builders platforms instead.

There might be a builder version from PMDG in the future. In the past Robert has hinted since they are also constructing a sim center in DC. Initially this was to be for the 748 and then for the rest.

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

38 minutes ago, Phill Morgan said:

I do not have any personal experience, but how else would the pilot flying hear warnings if using a headset?

For the 737NG it is possible to hear them through the headset you're right, but at a minimum it is heard through a dedicated speaker. The 737NG therefore has it coming from both.

Brian Nellis

36 minutes ago, Copper. said:

For the 737NG it is possible to hear them through the headset you're right, but at a minimum it is heard through a dedicated speaker. The 737NG therefore has it coming from both.

I thought so, I wont hold my breath, but perhaps in the future PMDG will add a secondary sound output to enhance the realism. Does it already use its own custom sound engine?

3 hours ago, Phill Morgan said:

I thought so, I wont hold my breath, but perhaps in the future PMDG will add a secondary sound output to enhance the realism. Does it already use its own custom sound engine?

I'm not sure tbh. Hopefully someone will come along and help you. Good luck!

Brian Nellis