Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

McDonnell-Douglas DC3? Really......

This is how it looks when lawyers control the world - they even get to rewrite history. A new product is available via the Steam Store for FSX-SE. It is the famous, venerable, timeless McDonnell-Douglas (tm) DC3. Really? :blink: I'm surprised they didn't call it a Boeing (tm) DC3 --- a bit like the Boeing 717 perhaps??? (From the Douglas DC-9 evolved the MD80-90 series, the last iteration of which became the Boeing 717. Who knows, one day we may even read about the new 797 from Amazon-Boeing?)

BTW, it doesn't begin to compare with the superb, freeware DOUGLAS C47 of Manfred Jahn and team - available right here on AVSIM

• Upvote 1

Well, they can officially call it what they like, but as far as I'm concerned, it's the Dakota. :cool:

Incidentally, if anyone is considering buying it (and to be fair it is a nice add-on which does have some stuff that Manfred Jahn freebie one does not, notably a towable and flyable WACO CG-4A military assault glider and the availability of an expansion pack which has some nice repaints) get it from Just Flight directly and not from Steam, because you'll get all the liveries which originally came with the thing (Steam versions tend to lose a few liveries, again, it's the lawyers at work, what with it being an 'Officially Licensed Boeing Product' despite the fact that the DC-2 and DC-3 were anything but a Boeing product at the time since they roundly trounced Boeing's own model 247 when it came to sales to airlines and the military). You'll get some loyalty points from JF too, which more than make up for the slight difference in price (i.e. the Steam version is a quid cheaper than the one direct from JF).

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

2 hours ago, Chock said:

Well, they can officially call it what they like, but as far as I'm concerned, it's the Dakota. :cool:

Incidentally, if anyone is considering buying it (and to be fair it is a nice add-on which does have some stuff that Manfred Jahn freebie one does not, notably a towable and flyable WACO CG-4A military assault glider and the availability of an expansion pack which has some nice repaints) get it from Just Flight directly and not from Steam, because you'll get all the liveries which originally came with the thing (Steam versions tend to lose a few liveries, again, it's the lawyers at work, what with it being an 'Officially Licensed Boeing Product' despite the fact that the DC-2 and DC-3 were anything but a Boeing product at the time since they roundly trounced Boeing's own model 247 when it came to sales to airlines and the military). You'll get some loyalty points from JF too, which more than make up for the slight difference in price (i.e. the Steam version is a quid cheaper than the one direct from JF).

Amen bro. I've stopped buying DLC products from Steam. The price is attractive but the products are often watered down versions of payware already available and getting some of their sceneries to work properly can be a real challenge, as simple as the activation system may seem. I really want to support them as I love FSX-SE and want them to continue to work on it but I've actually given up on trying to get some of the DLC products I purchased to actually work. And support from Dovetail? Hmmm - that would be another topic.... :( 

Even though it's a bit dated and the VC could maybe be considered "crude" compared to say, Carenado, JF's DC-3 package is perfect on price-point, performance and what you get.

I wish they would update it for P3Dv4, but it's highly unlikely.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

3 hours ago, kiwiflyer45 said:

This is how it looks when lawyers control the world - they even get to rewrite history. A new product is available via the Steam Store for FSX-SE. It is the famous, venerable, timeless McDonnell-Douglas (tm) DC3. Really? :blink: I'm surprised they didn't call it a Boeing (tm) DC3 --- a bit like the Boeing 717 perhaps??? (From the Douglas DC-9 evolved the MD80-90 series, the last iteration of which became the Boeing 717. Who knows, one day we may even read about the new 797 from Amazon-Boeing?)

BTW, it doesn't begin to compare with the superb, freeware DOUGLAS C47 of Manfred Jahn and team - available right here on AVSIM

You are talking about the Boeing 313?😉

Vic green

5 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

You are talking about the Boeing 313?😉

What became the Boeing 717 was originally begun by McDonnell-Douglas as a "new generation" update of the MD80 series. When Boeing bought out MD they didn't really want it at all as it was a competitor to the 737 but allowed limited production as the "Boeing 717" before closing down the production line - in fact I think they closed the entire plant down. Not sure what a Boeing 313 is but maybe it's a lawyer's trademark designation for the Wright Brother's Flyer.... JK :)

3 hours ago, kiwiflyer45 said:

What became the Boeing 717 was originally begun by McDonnell-Douglas as a "new generation" update of the MD80 series. When Boeing bought out MD they didn't really want it at all as it was a competitor to the 737 but allowed limited production as the "Boeing 717" before closing down the production line - in fact I think they closed the entire plant down. Not sure what a Boeing 313 is but maybe it's a lawyer's trademark designation for the Wright Brother's Flyer.... JK :)

Naw. Just a vain attempt at humor. You know, B717, DC3-B313. A flat joke.

• Upvote 1

Vic green

2 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

Naw. Just a vain attempt at humor. You know, B717, DC3-B313. A flat joke.

Sorry mate. It's been a hot and humid Friday and my brain which wasn't too good to begin with, was obviously dialed down to the "dull" level. In  the real world, a good shot of oxygen would be the answer - or a quick visit to the O club for a couple of cold ones..... Have a great weekend

Ian