Sign in to follow this  
carlito777

Kaby Lake now or wait for Coffee Lake

Hi all,

this morning my sim PC decided to quit on me. In the middle of a flight it just went black. Did some testing and it seems that my good old de-lidded 4770K@4.6GHz has died after 4 years. With the 12V CPU power connected, the PC immediately shuts off after turning it on. With the CPU power disconnected, it stays on. So pretty clear that there is a short-curcuit related to the CPU. Now the big question is: Replace with a 7700K Kaby Lake or wait for a hex-core 8700K Coffee Lake? I can live with no simming until winter as I don't have much time for simming in the summer anyways. However, I'm not really sure if waiting for Coffee Lake is really worth it as the single core frequency is lower and in the end single core performance is what really matters in simming. So I would appreciate some opinions.

Thanks and regards

Carlo

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

25 minutes ago, carlito777 said:

Hi all,

[...] However, I'm not really sure if waiting for Coffee Lake is really worth it as the single core frequency is lower and in the end single core performance is what really matters in simming. So I would appreciate some opinions.

Thanks and regards

Carlo

I chose to wait for coffee lake. Reason is that I'm sure the innovation on the architecture will push up system performance. As to your quote above, well the final frequency of the processor isn't really known yet as we only have seen engineering samples. So it can be either. 

I would wait and see. Eventually the current cpus will fall in price and you save some bucks if coffe lake doesn't turn out to be worthwhile.

2 hours ago, carlito777 said:

Replace with a 7700K Kaby Lake or wait for a hex-core 8700K Coffee Lake?

If you decide to wait, apparently Coffee Lake processors will not now be released until February 2018 and will not be available in the mainstream until later - see http://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-delayed-2018-8th-gen-kaby-lake-refresh/.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

It also looks like a more expensive MB will likely be needed for Coffee Lake as the Intel series 200 boards will not be compatible. Still to be confirmed by Intel but announced via Asrock recently.

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

I've wondered about this myself.

Only time will tell. If it remains the case that clock speed is the ultimate metric for flight simming--and I'm wondering if that's still the case--the Kaby Lake processors are able to hit 5Gh with over clocking. The Coffee Lake has yet to be release, but the top end version reportedly have single core turbo speed up to 4.6 (I think) and 6 core turbo of 4.3 (I think). The i7 8700K version is unlocked (obviously).

It will be interesting to see how Kaby Lake compares to Coffee Lake. I'm thinking the Kaby Lake will win in pure clock speed. But, if the difference is marginal, maybe the lower power consumption in Coffee Lake processors might tip the balance.

As the above folks have said, new motherboards for the Coffee Lake processors and all the headaches that entails could be a big factor if you're needing something soon-ish.

Recent articles suggest that Intel will announce the new chips at GamesCon, whenever that is...this month? So, waiting is a worthy stance. That's what I'm doing...waiting. If my computer died I doubt I'd have the fortitude you have. I'd be ordering right now!

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

The base clocks for the Coffee Lake stuff have been leaked.

The 8700k only bases at 3.7ghz. That probably means it isn't going to reach 5.0 on air the way a 7700k will.

On 8/4/2017 at 10:44 AM, vortex681 said:

If you decide to wait, apparently Coffee Lake processors will not now be released until February 2018 and will not be available in the mainstream until later - see http://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-delayed-2018-8th-gen-kaby-lake-refresh/.

That's an old article and not true.

They are starting production next month. They'll be out before the end of Q3.

Guys, thanks for all the input. Waiting is extremely hard as I cannot flightsim at all at the moment, but I will still wait. The 8700K will most likely be introduced to the public in 2 weeks at Gamescon and I think it will be possible to order the required parts not much later than October. So this is 7 or 8 weeks without flightsimming. That's hard but doable. The wait may be worth it. The 8700K supposedly will have a turbo frequency of 4.7 GHz on a single core so that it should be no problem to overclock it to 4.8 GHz. That should easily perform on par with a 7700K at 5 GHz. Patience is a virtue sometimes... (even though I'm most likely the most impatient person on this planet)... ;-(

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

14 hours ago, bonchie said:

That's an old article and not true.

Thanks for the correction. That'll teach me to do a bit more research in future!

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

The first Coffee Lake CPUs incl. the 8700K will be presented to the public on August, 21st. I think, it is quite realistic to assume that the chips will be available for the mass market in October at the latest. 

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3214630/computers/intels-8th-gen-coffee-lake-core-cpus-will-be-revealed-during-the-great-american-eclipse.html

I purchased yesterday I7 7700k with a Gigabyte Aorus z270X- gaming 7.

I am in no way a pro like many of the members here but I use flight simulator since the very fist Microsoft dos based one and the rule in my opinion never changed.

The faster the CPU the better FPS (although since 2015) GPU is becoming more and more important.

I would go for an I7 7700k, higher clock speeds.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, zebra_afs said:

I would go for an I7 7700k, higher clock speeds.

Clock speeds are not the only thing that matters. 

On 09/08/2017 at 8:24 AM, carlito777 said:

Price does too. :happy:

Supporter.png

John

On 9 August 2017 at 8:24 AM, carlito777 said:

True, but at present (in an otherwise similar system) they probably are the most important thing.