Sign in to follow this  
carlito777

Kaby Lake now or wait for Coffee Lake

My recommendation is definitely wait until October. Coffee Lake is showing a decent performance boost over Kaby Lake and a Z370 motherboard is more futureproof. However neither will be in quantity until at least October.

I'm kinda regretting my recent 7700k build now.

On 8/8/2017 at 11:17 PM, zebra_afs said:

I purchased yesterday I7 7700k with a Gigabyte Aorus z270X- gaming 7.

I am in no way a pro like many of the members here but I use flight simulator since the very fist Microsoft dos based one and the rule in my opinion never changed.

The faster the CPU the better FPS (although since 2015) GPU is becoming more and more important.

I would go for an I7 7700k, higher clock speeds.

Thats not really the case clock speed is important but how efficiently the processor works is more important. I have an old Pentium 4 (still works) clocked @3.2GHZ when running bench marks for single core performance my laptop a 2017 lenovo model with an i3 a 2.0ghz kills it despite it being clocked lower this is due to an increase in single core performance efficacy. My 4790k runs at 4.5ghz but I will be upgrading to the 8700k as I will get a 25-30% gain with Coffee lake running at the same clock speed. Which should net me about 10FPS in flight sim plus the much faster DDR4 Ram

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

YEah..wait till Oct. But it really is not going to make that much difference  for P3Dv4

LM and even nvidia have done more for our hobby in terms of CPU/GPU  performance  payback with the v4 than Intel has done in the last 15 years.

IF your PC is dead, get the latest CPU out there..but its not worth upgrading CPU if you bought your CPU the last 2-3 years.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Will do both here. I needed to upgrade now so i went with kabylake and will go coffee next year when the platform matures good enough. 

Regards

JP