Sign in to follow this  
Mejjo

The TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP Tweak

Afternoon all,

I've come across this tweak ( TEXTURE_SIZE_ESP ) For P3D V4. I'm wondering if anyone here can share some thoughts on it? Does it actually improve performance in the sim? I have had a look around about it but i thought i'd ask here directly for anyone's thoughts on it. I'm usually quite weary when applying any tweaks to a config file but if it improves performance then i'm all for it. 

30 minutes ago, Mejjo said:

Afternoon all,

I've come across this tweak ( TEXTURE_SIZE_ESP ) For P3D V4. I'm wondering if anyone here can share some thoughts on it? Does it actually improve performance in the sim? I have had a look around about it but i thought i'd ask here directly for anyone's thoughts on it. I'm usually quite weary when applying any tweaks to a config file but if it improves performance then i'm all for it. 

It basically improves texture detail at far distances at the expense of vram. A setting of 10 will almost saturate my 1080ti.

Matt Wilson

would like to know as well how it improves/affects the terrain appearance as the textures appear to have been 1024 resolution since fsx as can be seen in the scenery\world\textures folder and remain the same in v4. Checking the high resolution terrain checkbox which has been found by others to be same as EXP=9 does make the terrain textures sharper even at 3km distance and EXP=10 with little visual difference if any vastly increases loading time and causes stutters on my system. It has been explained it increases the terrain tile resolution from 256 to 512 and 1024, but what exactly is that as looking at texture files the terrain textures have been 1024 in the earlier sim versions as well. Did the previous sim versions not use/display the available texture resolutions fully?

so if you leave the texture_size_exp tweak out, it defaults to a value of 9 as long as you have High Resolution Terrain checked in P3D's settings?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Essentially, yes. And if you increase it to 10, you'd better have a monster video card.

Frankly, UNLESS you have a monster system with a monster video card - leave it alone. It will cause more trouble than it's worth.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I had it at 10 before and it looks awesome... but i think I'll leave it at 9. I want some breathing room for my GPU for other stuff.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

No doubt on a quick check it will look awesome. The problems arise when you're flying for a while and your system starts to struggle.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Vic, could you please change the topic title? I already foresee people asking why "TEXTURE_SIZE_ESP=10" does nothing (or crashes the sim?). Thanks

I use "TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10" at present (with a EVGA 1080Ti). It fills 8 of the 11 GB of graphics memory and incurs a (very) noticeable longer loading time, but otherwise didn't destroy the sim - yet. It's even not that hard on fps, at least less than higher autogen settings. It certainly looks better than the default of 8, but in case of trouble you can well do without it.

In any case, I only fly GA and keep an eye on it... I have it in mind, just in case something evil will surface.

To be honest, there are some videos around trying to explain what it does, but they are beyond my understanding.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I also have it on 10 with my 1080ti. The loading times are longer but the visuals are breathtaking :-)

Missed that. :laugh:

Don't get me wrong, =10 is great if your card can handle it and other factors being in place. High density airports, heavy cloud cover in a complex a/c could be another story. It's just that there are many people who just randomly tweak with no regard for how their system can handle it and then fill the forums with issues that could have been avoided.

FWIW, I consider the 1080ti and up "monster" cards

Vic

• Upvote 1

TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9 is actually a very good setting for a video card that can handle it.  I've got a GTX1070 and this setting has really improved the loading of texture tiles, so that they do not suddenly appear close in..

Visually, it is a real improvement...  Try it, if you have not already  :cool:

Bert

2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9 is actually a very good setting for a video card that can handle it.  I've got a GTX1070 and this setting has really improved the loading of texture tiles, so that they do not suddenly appear close in..

Visually, it is a real improvement...  Try it, if you have not already  :cool:

Hi Bert,

I know this settings affects memory load, but would it have a reasonable impact on GPU load?  I have an EVGA 980TI OC and water cooled, unfortunately it is already running to its limits in terms of GPU load, the memory is still ok.

Best Regards,

Simbol

Edited by simbol
WebMaximus answered one of my questions with his post

I use =9 since I found this tweak and never had any issues with it. However, recently I did a longer flight with the AS CRJ and suddenly my autogen also disappeared upon decent. I do not know if there is any connection, as I also installed a new mesh just prior this flight (I switched from FSGenesis to PILOT's FS Global 2018). Since then, I never did another longer flight, so I do not know if there is any relation to this. But, as the load on the system is considerably higher with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9, it might be related to the late autogen loading issue...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Anyone know where to actually tweak the setting? I couldn’t seem to find it in the P3D cfg anywhere, maybe in the scenery cfg?