Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Holger's Himalayas - max_vertex_ level question

I've recently installed a whole pile of Holger's Himalayas scenery and they are totally fantastic, wow! I observe the readme.txt file suggests setting your max vertex to 20, up from the default of 19. What is vertex and what does it do? Is there any risk in changing it? If I raise it to 20, will it impact the whole sim in some way?Appreciate any guidance, info, thanks!JS

Hi JS,Terrain_Max_Vertex_Level has three valid settings: 19 (default = 76-m grid), 20 (38-m grid) and 21 (19-m grid). The parameter forces FS to display the respective resolution of the terrain grid near the user's aircraft, regardless of the resolution of the available mesh file. Thus, if you have TMVL at 20 a default LOD5 (1200-m) mesh file will be displayed as a 38-m grid and some add-on LOD11 (19-m) mesh at 38 meters as well. Moreover, this setting is a global parameter that will have the same effect everywhere. Other than the general detail of the terrain display, the change in TMVL is also visible in airport/terrain transitions and in the road cuts and streams that have their own flattens/depressions. See this thread for a few images: http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?t=48871 Some people recommend to always set TMVL to 21 but that doesn't make much sense because the detail gained is restricted to a very narrow range, the additional grid vertices mean potential fps reductions and more terrain "morphing", and there are also issues with squared terrain shadows. Here's a bit more detail on this: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchIn short, if you're happy with TMVL=19 keep that setting unless a specific add-on requires a higher value. It is not necessary for the Himalayas because all the original source data were 90-m resolution, which means any detail gained with TMVL=20 is interpolation by the terrain display engine rather than additional accuracy.Hope that helps.Cheers, Holger

Guest thedoggg

Setting this to 20 allows for higher resolution mesh to be seen as intended as the elevation data points are closer together. 21 for even higer resolution mesh. It appears Holger designed the mesh for 20. I think you will not notice much performance loss with the setting but the whole world is affected, not in bad way, however. You can alway change it back if you have a problem (You wont).

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.Holger, I shall keep it at 19 since the visuals are already stunning and clear. Thanks for the details and guidance, and thanks for producing yet another remarkable set of scenery. Your Alps and Columbia Gorge (both of which I know well) are dazzling too.JS