I've had my Saitek Pro Yoke & Throttle quadrants for 8 years and overall they've worked well. But nothing lasts forever and I'm considering what to do should one or more units fail. If the throttle quadrant supplied with the yoke should fail it's not possible to buy another. It's only supplied with the yoke so I'd need to shell out around £140 for a replacement.

Given my current PC is more than adequate for P3D v3.4 (and v4 eventually) I don't need to shell out a couple of grand for a new one any time soon.

So I'm considering moving to a high-end yoke and throttle. My CH pedals are fine for now. they seem almost indestructible. I've considered and rejected the GoFlight yoke and throttle. Not enough buttons on either and no real rave reviews about either.

That leaves PFC. I know their quality as I visit Pete Dowson on a fairly regular basis and his PFC kit is quality. Okay, I'm not considering the same hardware as Pete has but PFC only builds quality kit so I know I can trust them.

I'm looking at the PFC Cirrus Saab Yoke (12 buttons); Throttle Quadrant Console with a Four Engine Jet Spoilers/Throttles/Reversers throttle unit.

I could buy direct from PFC but there a UK retailer in Norfolk offering all this kit albeit at fairly high prices although they include taxes, VAT etc. Their website is here:-
http://flight-simulators.co.uk/acatalog/Cirrus-Saab-Yoke-144.html#SID=51

I haven't heard of them, have any of you?

Would appreciate your views on this proposal. I know it's not cheap but it's half the price of a new kitchen and less than a house rewire! :smile: But it's definitely more attractive than either. And as I usually say, it will probably see me out! :laugh:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I say do it!! Its only money right.. I purchased one (PFC Saab yoke) a few years ago and by far the best investment I have made for my hobby. Its very high quality and feel like the real thing. I love all the buttons works well in all types of aircraft. I live close to where they are made and went down to pick mine up( To Save a $$ )and they all were so nice. I got a quick tour around and even got to do a quick landing at SFO in one of the simulators they had in the lobby. As for the throttle I have a jet max for the 737 since that's what I love to fly and love it also. 

Tom

Tom Davis

I7 6700k 4.7 ghz, gtx 1080ti , 16gb 3400 ram, 32’’ 2k monitor, 1TB ssd, 500gb ssd, 250gb ssd, h115 water cooler

UAL440.png

Ray,

I have the same PFC yoke/throttle quadrant setup you are considering.  I bought it about a year ago and it has been excellent. Their service has been excellent with rapid response.  Since I live in west Texas I bought mine directly from them.  Sent them an email about a minor issue and they responded about 15 minutes later by phone with a solution.  :smile:

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Tom / Wilhelm,

Thank you both for your replies. You are fortunate that you can buy direct. It's probably cheaper than us overseas customers. But of course you have to pay state tax on the PFC prices so there is an additional overhead. But with the pound so weak against the dollar imports from the US are expensive. The whole package is probably going to cost around £2,300 ($3K).

This will be my first serious hardware. I started FS back in the early 90s with a keyboard moving to a CH FlightStick Pro and Pro Throttle. That was nice but I really needed a yoke. Bought the CH VPP in the mid 90s, then the next gen CH one before switching to the Saitek in 2008.

But really these are all built to a price and aren't designed to last long-term. I've probably done well to get 9 years out of the Saitek and whilst it's reasonably okay now there are signs the pots are causing issues. So I want to consider the options and PFC have come out ahead of the pack.

What aircraft do you fly? I'm pretty much flying Concorde all the time at the moment. This is a 4-engined jet with full reheat just in case you'd forgotten it. :wink: Capable of Mach 2, cruise levels up to FL600 and it lands at 150kts. :smile: So it's a bit of a beast and needs quality controls.

Do you find the number of buttons are adequate? And what about the yoke staying still on the desk? Does it need anything to make it stay in place?

Thanks for your answers.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray, 

I use Velcro-type strips to secure the yoke and TQ module to the desktop. I found that there are more than enough buttons compared to a Saitek yoke, but I had to get used to no hat switch.

Be forewarned, however, that once you start down this road, there's no end in sight. I found that 3 more TQ modules were nice to have. And then MFG rudder pedals. And then GoFlight's MCP Pro, EFIS, radios, various switch boxes, etc. Professional hardware can really make a difference in your level of immersion.

Robert

• Upvote 1

MFG Crosswind rudder pedals are way better than CH-no comparison at all.  I, too went down the go flight module route and it's terrific !!  Started with the GF46.  It runs comms 1 and 2, nav 1 and 2, ADF, transponder, and dme 1 and 2. Great little tool for under $170 new.  Use it with a GF tabletop mount box.  It's a gas.  If you want to spend a little less on the yoke you should check out the Yoko yoke by Virtual Fly.  It's actually used to fly drones.  I love my yoko and customer service is timely and cooperative.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

What aircraft do you fly? I'm pretty much flying Concorde all the time at the moment. This is a 4-engined jet with full reheat just in case you'd forgotten it. :wink: Capable of Mach 2, cruise levels up to FL600 and it lands at 150kts. :smile: So it's a bit of a beast and needs quality controls.

Do you find the number of buttons are adequate? And what about the yoke staying still on the desk? Does it need anything to make it stay in place?

Thanks for your answers.

I fly all the PMDGs and the CS707.  You will be amazed at how well the aircraft will fly with the PFC Yoke/TQ.  The number of buttons are more than adequate.  It will take some experimenting to get the correct combination for your type flying.  I use Velcro sticky back pads that are about 1 inch square to secure it to my desk.

blaustern

• Upvote 1

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

7 hours ago, macwino said:

Ray, 

I use Velcro-type strips to secure the yoke and TQ module to the desktop. I found that there are more than enough buttons compared to a Saitek yoke, but I had to get used to no hat switch.

Be forewarned, however, that once you start down this road, there's no end in sight. I found that 3 more TQ modules were nice to have. And then MFG rudder pedals. And then GoFlight's MCP Pro, EFIS, radios, various switch boxes, etc. Professional hardware can really make a difference in your level of immersion.

Robert

Thanks Robert. Velcro seems simple enough. The lack of a hat is a nuisance but whilst the GoFlight has one it has far fewer buttons which is even more of a pain.

I already have several GoFlight modules. 2xGF166, 1xGFP8, 2xGFT8 and the LGT module bought around 13 years ago and still working well.

I searched YouTube last night and couldn't find a single review of the Cirrus. Odd. :sad:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

6 hours ago, vp49p3 said:

If you want to spend a little less on the yoke you should check out the Yoko yoke by Virtual Fly.  It's actually used to fly drones.  I love my yoko and customer service is timely and cooperative.

The Yoko only has 6 buttons although it has a hat. The lack of buttons is the killer I'm afraid.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I've sent an email to the UK importer for PFC enquiring about a bundled price for the yoke, throttle console and 4 engine throttle quadrant. Let's see what they come back with.

It's quite helpful having the importer based in the UK. Did any of you negotiate a discount with PFC? Do they offer a discount for a bundle?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray,
i'm the lucky owner of the BRUNNER flightsim Yoke. So forget all the rubber band flightsim yoke's. With the software (for free) you can adjust everything. Search the internet for more info
Regards and success

17 minutes ago, Jovabra said:

Ray,
i'm the lucky owner of the BRUNNER flightsim Yoke. So forget all the rubber band flightsim yoke's. With the software (for free) you can adjust everything. Search the internet for more info
Regards and success

Thanks but they appear to be force-feedback. I'm not interested in those.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I already have several GoFlight modules. 2xGF166, 1xGFP8, 2xGFT8 and the LGT module bought around 13 years ago and still working well.

I searched YouTube last night and couldn't find a single review of the Cirrus. Odd. :sad:

So with your GoFlight gear you're already half way there! Regarding the lack of a hat switch, a cheap joystick can provide one if you really need it, or even an Xbox or Playstation controller will do.

No videos, but perhaps these links will help:

https://#####.wordpress.com/pfc-saab-yoke-review/

https://#####.wordpress.com/pfc-throttle-quadrant-review/

Robert

15 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

If the throttle quadrant supplied with the yoke should fail it's not possible to buy another. It's only supplied with the yoke so I'd need to shell out around £140 for a replacement.

Ray, I guess you have decided to upgrade but the Saitek USB throttle quads are available for £60 (RRP). That said, if you can afford to upgrade you'll be better off. The Yoko doesn't have a hat switch BTW, it just sort-of-emulates one (the two paddle switches will pan the view if you hold down the left PTT switch). That said, the Yoko is a fantastic yoke. If you need buttons you can always buy something else with buttons on!

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

18 minutes ago, MarkDH said:

Ray, I guess you have decided to upgrade but the Saitek USB throttle quads are available for £60 (RRP). That said, if you can afford to upgrade you'll be better off. The Yoko doesn't have a hat switch BTW, it just sort-of-emulates one (the two paddle switches will pan the view if you hold down the left PTT switch). That said, the Yoko is a fantastic yoke. If you need buttons you can always buy something else with buttons on!

Hi Mark,

I think you'll find those throttles are USB only. Not the one that ships with the Yoke which needs a PS/2 connector. That's where they have you.

Yes, I've decided after 25 years flying I want something better and I've considered and rejected the GoFlight yoke due to the lack of buttons / hat. The Yoko has fewer buttons than the Cirrus and seems similar in build quality but the clamp seems slightly ineffective. K osta in his review uses sticky pads to secure the yoke to the desk. Same for the throttle console.

I'm going to negotiate swapping a GoFlight T6 for a P6 with a friend. Buttons are more adaptable than switches.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather