Sign in to follow this  
Calypso50

Back-Up FS9 ?

I was getting ready to download the 9.1 patch for my FS9.0 so I could then download QLRP4UT, and was advised to back up FS9 first because the MSFS website says a gazillion things can go wrong with add ons--scenery especially-- I have UT, BEV and a couple airports and about a dozen aircraft.Not having any DVD handy I decided to back up to a folder on the desk-top for the time being. Good or bad??I 'copied" the FS9 folder and started to paste it into a back-up FS9 desktop folder. All I can say is somewhere along the line I chickened out. Something felt--strange. I wasn't sure that I wasn't making a big mistake. Anyway, I cancelled the copying of files..Now I don't really remember exactly what I did.... I had this folder half full of files, ..plus I have a shortcut to the FS9 folder on my desktop...???...plus the actual FS9 folder all open at the same time.... I tried to complete the half full folder by copying the rest of ... who knows...Now I THINK I have a correct FS folder (maybe it's screwed up)But the Path to it is-- C:Program Files/MS Games/FS9/FS9.So - somehow I think I put the actual FS folder within ANOTHER FS folder. Don't know how I did that.And FS will not open, of course. Before I mess up again, How do I get rid of the 'extra' FS9 folder that has the real FS9 folder in it so the path is correct? Hoping. of course, that the FS9 folder with all the files is correct. !!Dumb, eh?

Hi Bill.WOW!.Copying FS9 folders to another folder alone shouldn't have done anything harmful for the most part. At least not to the original FS9 folders.But copying fs9 into fs9 is not good.C:Program Files/MS Games/FS9/FS9.looks kind of like what you did.Even then..copying shouldn't have removed anything to the folders/file in the original FS9.I would think just deleting the fs9 within the fs9 could be an option. You can always restore the delete if it doesn't work out from the delete bin.But..Wait for some other gurus here before you delete anything for now. As long as you didn't move or delete anything from FS9 and its subfolders... (other than this new FS9 subfolder within FS9), I think you should be able to recover.Hmmmm....Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Hello Manny,Here;s how it is...The FS9 folder here that I call, for this post only, "FS9A" has ONLY the FS9B folder in it, nothing else. "FS9B" has the actual files- I HOPE all of them..if not, I'm really stumped.. c: program files; MS Games/FS9A/FS9BSo I need to figure out how to delete the FS8A Folder and leave FS9B in MSGames.Bill

I just corrected the path to FS9- c/program files/MS Games/ FS9But FS will not load. So I can only guess there must be something missing in the FS9 folder?Any suggestions?