Sign in to follow this  
Guest 3202b

LDS 767-300ER FMC vs. PMDG 747 FMC

I currently own the LDS 767 and can pretty much operate its FMC. Superficially, at least, the FMC on the LDS and PMDG models look similar. Do they function in a similar manner in terms of what button to push when and how it operates in general? I certainly don't want to have to relearn it again. RH

Hi,Since both are Smith FMC's they operate in the same way.The 747 has a tiny bit more features but basically they are the same.This applies also to the 737 & 777 FMC

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Second that. I had no trouble setting up my first 744 flight with the familiarity I had from the 763.

Guest 3202b

"The 747 has a tiny bit more features"Hmm don't know about that - the ACARS section is hardly a feature as it is not very functional.The thing about the LDS767 is that everything works (and how it is supposed to do).You should have no probs (apart from the bugs in the PMDG VNAV logic) switching over.

Thanks guys for the info! Both FMCs being similar will be very helpful!. I will not purchase the PMDG 747 before the bugs are dealt with, however.Thanks,RH

Guest jennifer

Are there still bugs with the PMDG 744? Haven't checked out the forums lately but was going to soon with a view to purchasing. Is the VNAV FMC bug a serious issue?

Guest 3202b

Not very serious, but it's far from the LDS modelling of VNAV. The descents with the queen are often sharp and abrupt for some reason at the moment.

The FMC's of the 767/747/777 are from Honeywell.The FMC of the 737 is from Smith.Guy

Guest jennifer

". . .Not very serious, but it's far from the LDS modelling of VNAV. The descents with the queen are often sharp and abrupt for some reason at the moment.. . ." Hmm. . that's a shame. I trust PMDG will sort it as soon as they can. Thanks for the info anyway.

>Not very serious, but it's far from the LDS modelling of>VNAV. The descents with the queen are often sharp and abrupt>for some reason at the moment.I wont even comment on the flaws the LDS had, as people seem to forget the bad when they remember events... but I will ask what you are seeing? because I see none of this. a properly configured FMC with correct weight settings, etc and VNAV works perfectly fine for me. You might want to get the latest version of FSUIPC as that fixes some wind change problems which might be a part of the cause

>Thanks guys for the info! Both FMCs being similar will be>very helpful!. I will not purchase the PMDG 747 before the>bugs are dealt with, however.>>Thanks,>>RHI'm honestly not sure what bugs are being referenced as I can complete flights confidently. And I'm not sure PMDG has any plans to offer additional patches. #### for tat feature comparisons of CDU versus FMC will not make one bit of difference concerning your enjoyment of either plane. One is a Boeing 767-300 and the other a Boing 747-400. Both offer more features than 90% of simmers ever use. And they both work very well. Enjoy.Bob...

Guest 3202b

Yes but if I remember correctly, the flaws in the LDS product have been fixed shortly after they were discovered...I might say before another product is released or developed. I have the latest version of FSUIPC and I know how to fully configure the FMC correctly, the sharp initial VNAV descent is well known problem that has been acknowledged on the PMDG forum but it has still to be fixed - there was a hint it had been fixed with the Freighter upgrade - which you will have to pay for!.I have to add that I do very much like the PMDG 744, it is an aoutstanding piece of payware and well worth the price - it's just a shame that not all the bugs have been resolved completly.

I'm very curious to know which VNAV "bugs" you're referring to. We spent an inordinate amount of time fine tuning that for the 1.1 update and I can VNAV non-precision approaches perfectly with it - what specifically are you talking about?

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest 3202b

Search VNAV Steep Descent in the PMDG forum - lots of reports!From a real world captain on your own forum:". . . When nearing the T/D I decided to test a function we often use, the "premature" descent. I entered a lower alt in MCP, and pushed on the altitude button, which is the same as hitting the "descend now" button on the FMC. The plane should enter a slow descent, a little over 1000fpm, until the precalculated descent path is reached, then VNAV PTH should reengage. This aircraft started a fairly steep descent, around 4000fpm intitially, then shallowed out to around 50 fpm ROD. It yanked out way too much power, so with speed decaying too much the SPD mode reengaged (fortunately). In this state, with very little rate of descent and almost normal cruise-thrust, the airplane stays until VNAV PTH is reacquired. (Major issue)." (Janov)From a PMDG beta tester regarding the 747F update package:"This is a known issue and has been discussed many times on this forum. It is not an issue anymore but that is all I am going to say."

Robbie,If you wait for fixes to the PMDG 747 ... I believe you'll be waiting a long time ... the 747 has been patched and is a "work of art" as is the LDS 767.The FMCs are almost identical and what you can do with one you can do with the other ... I fly both often and have no issues with either .. Bulfer's "Big Boeing" FMC user guide covers the 47, 57, 67 and 77 FMCS (I'm sure there are minor differences.)With things the way they are today, I'm sure someone will yell at me for being positive ... but I really do think you are missing out if you don't have the PMDG 747. I forget who said it, maybe PT Barnam or Will Rogers ... but, "You can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time."Good LuckPaul BenoitKSAN