Sign in to follow this  
Guest lemonadedrinker

Question on how best to REMOVE aircraft addons

Over time, I have added many freeware aircraft. Most did not have an associated install/uninstall programs. Instead, I would unzip the file and move the data (folders, files)as required.My question is how best to remove these aircraft that I find I no longer use. Is it OK to just delete the aircraft folder? I know that in many case I also had to move files into the EFFECTS folder and that deleting the aircraft folder would not touch those files. My guess is that this is OK, and that deleting the aircraft folder only would be OK.What do you think? Is there a better way?Thanks,Jim

Guest Mesa

You can just delete the aircraft folder. If you are not sure/happy to do that then just move the folder out of FS and delete it after you are sure it makes no difference. Ideally you should delete the guages that came with it UNLESS they use default ones as the guages can take up quite a bit of space but - up to you.

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi. I delete the airplane from the folder and then run this utility to get rid of excess gauges, by Alessandro G. Antonini. The utility is called Doctor Gauge, is very simple to use (ideal for me)and seems very effective-Scan- checks all your gaugesReport-tells you how many there areKill-moves unused gauges to a 'moved'folderReport-tells you how many it movedAndy

Guest Rockcliffe

You can also use FSmanager that compresses the files and puts them in a "hangar" for future use. It also cross checks the gauge, effects and sound files to make sure no other AC is using them.Most often, however, I just delete or drag the folder to my own "hangar" folder outside the FS9BlairCYOW

Guest Blazer

HI..I delete the aircraft folder and then I use the GUAGES diagnostic tool in FS MANAGER and scan for unused quages. It will remove the quage files that were relevant to the aircraft folder you removed and then will back them up and save them so you can restore them if there is a problem. It works for me and I have not had any problems with this procedure BUTTTT that is just me and my system.Regards...TH

I just tend to delete the aircraft and leave gauges and effects in. hasn't affected my sim in the slightest. If they're not called, they're not used.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Guest Mesa

I used a Guage cleaner prog until it went a bit funny on me and deleted a few crucial ones. These days if I install any freeware aircraft I put the guages into it's panel folder. Then when I remove the aircaft folder it's guages go with it. I also never install any of the effects on freeware until I'm sure I want to keep the aircraft.

Guest lemonadedrinker

HiI wondered why some airplanes had their gauges in the panel folder- I never realised the sim would work if the gauges weren't in the 'proper' folder:-roll - and it's a great idea to put them there where they're all together if you want to get rid of them. Thanks for the info.Andy.