Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

PMDG DC-6 current state seems a bit underwhelming?

In "Fate is The Hunter" you can see how Gann related so many of his fiction story's   and characters to his own experiences and people he came across during his long and storied career .

Vic green

Drifting off-topic here!

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

34 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Drifting off-topic here!

My apologies - got carried away on a wave of piston airliner nostalgia!

Doesn't seem like any PMDG DC-6 user has been able to comment on the issues raised initially by VeryBumpy. Could it be that not too many people have bought this PMDG product? Coming from the PMDG stables, I expected their DC-6 to be top notch but given its high price and the fact that I already have a reasonably good DC-6B from JF, I personally decided to wait for some feedback, reviews, etc before deciding to purchase it.

Bill

Perhaps posting this question in the dedicated forum for the aircraft might have attracted more relevant comment

and perhaps even some answers.

• Upvote 2

Perhaps nostalgia is quite relative in a round about way. For a developer to reproduce a long out of production aircraft is far different then a widely used present day machine with all sorts of current data available as well as personnel who are current and active in the real aircraft. Maybe it's sort of like trying your best to reenact a long ago battle or historical event such as "Dunkirk". (If you haven't seen the movie I highly recommend it!) 

When it comes to old classics even PMDG may take a little artistic liberty. If that's the case or not, I doubt anyone is training or hopes to ever really fly a DC-6. Therefore nostalgia is what classics are about. So reminisce with out guilt and have a good day! :biggrin:   

• Upvote 1

Vic green

EDIT.......

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

You should ask these questions in the PMDG forum - you would hear from the developers immediately.   Also, you might want to explore if there are unique key commands for this bird that don't match the FSX defaults.  There are for the jets.   There is no way that PMDG would release a product where the mixture and prop settings could not be mapped to axes or to buttons.  

Colin Ware

On 8/16/2017 at 2:42 PM, montanasimmer said:

You should ask these questions in the PMDG forum - you would hear from the developers immediately.  

<shrug> PMDG are smart, sharp people, I'm sure they are aware of this thread and can comment here if they wish to.

On 8/18/2017 at 5:59 AM, VeryBumpy said:

<shrug> PMDG are smart, sharp people, I'm sure they are aware of this thread and can comment here if they wish to.

Or not.  Your criticism of the company feels unfair to me, since, for reasons not clear at all, you are unwilling to get your questions answered in the place where they are most likely to be answered quickly - the dedicated DC6 forum in the PMDG forums here at AVSIM.   Instead, this post is broadly critical one implying that there is no support available, which, as above, is untrue.  The reason any developer sets up a dedicated forum is so they don't have to spider through all the forums looking for posts.   That is reasonable.  They have thousands and thousands of costumers between all of their models.   

On 8/6/2017 at 5:35 AM, Nuno Pinto said:

Remember the DC-6 was never intended as a commercial product. PMDG then decided they would sell it, but it all started with a "let's see if we can do this and how well it goes" thing.

It doesn't have the same price tag as other products as well, it's considerably lower.

I don't think this is correct.  The plane was originally developed in X-Plane, PMDGs first foray into that sim environment.  It was always meant to be a commercial product, with plans to then port it over to the FSX ecosystem.  Which is what happened.  It took many years to develop.  I urge viewing the many videos on You-Tube - especially Froogle's flights for folks having trouble with the plane.  It is excellent.  And, there is a dedicated DC6 PMDG forum where questions are answered quickly. 

Well, their words, not mine. It was an experience which turned into a commercial product as it developed. It's just the truth, i'm not trying to say how good or how bad it is.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Topic locked.  For support for issues with PMDG products, please visit the appropriate forum in the PMDG forums hosted at AVSIM.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10