Sign in to follow this  
Guest CowlFlapsOpen

My last words on fps...

Guest thelynxpa

...at least I hope for awhile.I've spent the better part of the past year tweaking, poking, prodding, optimizing, installing, upgrading and configging FS9. By my estimation, I've used over 75% of my total time getting the thing to work and less than %25 actually flying. Does this seem silly?I like to call FS9 the little $25 Christmas gift from my sister that cost me $2000.Anyway, last night, I was doing some forum topic searching on a completely different subject when I came across a fairly significant thread about setting the framerate slider to unlimited. I read and read and read all of the opinions and thoughts in post after post; some provided through logical thought and some through shear emotion. Who knew that a slider could evoke such diverse reactions?One of the best posts on the subject was where the author of the original magazine article in which this tip was published basically told another individual to try the suggestion before criticizing it. So, I marched upstairs to the cockpit, climbed in, fired up the sim, yanked the slider all the way to the right, and took off from Seattle in a freshly installed HJG 707 dressed in TWA livery.While I was still experiencing some stuttering around KSEA, the change in the actual flight experience, flying if you will, was immediate and dramatic. I nosed the 707 down into a ridiculous landing dive at a small now nameless airport landing with no difficulty whatsoever. I attribute this to both the great HJG model and the now fluid movement of FS9, certainly not my flying skill.Back at Seattle, I turned off AI traffic and flew again. The stutters virtually disappeared except around intense autogen areas and the fluidity of motion was spectacular. I've never seen textures load like that and have never enjoyed simulated flying so much.From my experience, running FS9 is a series of tradeoffs and the primary resource hogs are AI, clouds and autogen. I have a modest yet quite capable rig loaded up with terrain meshes, landclass, textures, sceneries, day and night environments, and a bunch of crap I can't even remember. However, I know that AI is always a huge resource pig and, though I hate to fly alone, I guess we all have to come to the realization that we can either fly, or watch the pretty scenery and airplane filled skies.So, the bottom line is, give the unlimited framerate slider thing a try. I know it flies in the face of everything you know, but it's worth the effort. Turn off the AI and anything else you can live without.Personally, I am so done with this tweaking stuff. I've got a 21" monitor and CH throttle quadrant on the way to further compliment my cockpit. It's time to fly.lynx

I turned off AI traffic a few months ago, and I've never been happier. While I miss it, the fps hit was way too much for me. Getting rid of AI traffic got rid of the majority of my stutters. At first it was hard letting go of AI, but now when I fly real IFR procedures, I don't have to worry about what the other aircraft are doing.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Lynx,Nice reading indeed.The quest for perfection has just cost me

Dave Taylor gb.png

"The 'unlimited FPS' slider hint is wrong though. Put it back to '20'. Otherwise FS9 has been known to be searching for .BGL files on the other side of the world to where your flying. This ultimately slows your fps even more."That's interesting. Did someone discover this using Filemon? Can you point me to a thread? -John

Guest MD11Forever

I read these threads with interest and thank my lucky stars- I must be one of the lucky ones. My system runs FS9 with all settings maxed out, full 100% AI traffic (FPS-friendly models from AIA, EVAI, FSP), add-on scenery, real-time weather, etc and have no issues maintaining at least 20FPS nearly all the time. The only time I see dips is when on approach to a busy airport as the machine loads aircraft; or if I am in an area with lots of puffy cumulus clouds. Even then the FPS hit is manageable, rarely dropping much below 15. System: P4 3.4GHZ, 2GB CorsairXMS DDR2 RAM, 120GB Seagate SATA HD (FS9 resides on its own partition), ATI X800Pro PCI-E 256mb. This runs a dual-monitor setup. All I've done is tweak a few settings here and there per various sources and found what works for me. The dream is not impossible.

i have one of the fastest computers out there, but AI traffic brings it to its knees with a fully functional VC and addon scenery.It does look awesome though, but sometimes my FPS goes into single digits. it is still "smooth" enough for me to fly and enjoy. I also run 1600x1200 which is an even bigger framerate killer

Guest MD11Forever

>i have one of the fastest computers out there, but AI traffic>brings it to its knees with a fully functional VC and addon>scenery.>>It does look awesome though, but sometimes my FPS goes into>single digits. it is still "smooth" enough for me to fly and>enjoy. I also run 1600x1200 which is an even bigger framerate>killerI generally run full screen at 2048 when I grab screenshots. My FPS still stays very close to 20 at all times. If I am flying on Vatsim I will run windowed mode, and usually 1152 resolution. What kind of AI traffic are you using? The ones included with Ultimate Traffic and that other package are known as serial-FPS-killers. :-)

I consisitenly get 25-20 FPS while running FS9, FSNAv, ActiveSky6, and Ultimate Traffic in both 2D and 3D Panels with all the sliders full to the right with the exception of Clouds. I also have an SLI Mobo but don't run two cards because FS9 doesn't support SLI and is mainly processor intensive and won't take advantage of an SLI setup. Craig AMD64 3500 ASUS A8N SLI Mobo 1G RAM 200G HD 80G Hd Creative SB Audigy2 Nvidia 6600 GT PCIe

Guest MD11Forever

>> I consisitenly get 25-20 FPS while running FS9, FSNAv,>ActiveSky6,> and Ultimate Traffic in both 2D and 3D Panels with all the>sliders> full to the right with the exception of Clouds.>> I also have an SLI Mobo but don't run two cards because FS9>doesn't > support SLI and is mainly processor intensive and won't take>advantage> of an SLI setup.>> Craig>> AMD64 3500> ASUS A8N SLI Mobo> 1G RAM> 200G HD> 80G Hd> Creative SB Audigy2> Nvidia 6600 GT PCIe>HI Craig, glad to see I'm not the only "lucky one" who gets good performance from FS9. :)

Thanks Jim,I had followed that thread, but can't see where having the fps slider locked would decrease or eliminate the issue the thread describes. I've had my fps slider set to unlimited after having it locked for about the first year of using FS2004. I switched it to unlimited one day when I was flying way out in the middle of nowhere, just to see if I could really glean a difference between 20 fps and 50 fps (I most certainly did!). I never locked it again, not because I get 50 fps everywhere (I most certainly can't), but because I found as a side effect that the sim seemed to be a bit smoother, especially in spot view. For my old system, FS2002 seems to prefer a fps lock, and FS2004 doesn't. I suspect the best advice is to try it both ways, and whatever way works best, stick with it. I haven't tweaked in ages.-John

Got to agree with John & lynx here. I've started doing something I havn't done in a long time. I've stopped tweaking and have started flying. Spend too much time for that last 1 FPS.JimCYWG

I used UT when it first came out, learned how to add traffic manually, and with aardvark, fspainter, etc models, never looked back. all my sliders are maxed, with the screen resolution I talked about, and custom AI traffic that has a bgl file of about 100 MBs

>While I was still experiencing some stuttering around KSEA,>the change in the actual flight experience, flying if you>will, was immediate and dramatic. Anyone who has used a trick a few times and declares it meaningful, is likely to find his theory tested and refuted. This is because every single situation is so dependent on myriads of variables that it is almost impossible to postulate any universal truths! JMO . . .>Personally, I am so done with this tweaking stuff. I've got a>21" monitor and CH throttle quadrant on the way to further>compliment my cockpit. >It's time to fly.>>lynxWell, we'll see! Half the fun is in the tweaking. It's why you did this 75% of the time. Though I must admit I don't do alot of experimentation anymore having experimented with tons of possibilities, though I do adjust settings per each flight in order to set the sim up to perform best for the scenario I will be flying in. Also, the FPS slider has been explained by FS developers, why it was put in, and what purpose it serves. Of course, with an infinite number of variables to tweak and have happen in the course of a flight, there are clearly setting configurations that will allow you to set the slider to unlimited, and have performance clearly be the best, if frames are your only concern. JMO!Cheers,Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X