Sign in to follow this  
FlyBaby

Flight1 GTN 750 performance impact

With either the GTN750 or 650 in an aircraft I see no noticeable performance hit.

However, I accidentally set my A2A C172 up to have both a 750 and 650 and the performance hit when using both was significant.  This surprised me somewhat but didn't bother me at all as I really would only want one unit in an aircraft (especially a C172!).

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

On 8/7/2017 at 11:16 PM, Michael Moe said:

Agree ,

Tried with GTN.INI Core =998 (which puts the GTN1 (750) on core 3+4 and GTN 2 (650) on core 0+1 (?) (I7-4770K HT OFF)

Doing so increased the load on those cores making my before stable OC crash at FTX Germany Berlin:biggrin:. Its summertime and outside temp is having an influence as well.

Maybe spreading them over 3 cores is better. 

Is there a way without Simstarter (dont have it) to set the CPU Cores for Chaseplane,Active Sky Network,Vpilot etc automatically ?

Noticed that Chaseplane was struggling to change views sometimes on 2 cores (1+2)

Thanks

Michael Moe

Hi Michael-

Where did you get the "Core=998" info? I'm now running HT and would like to know other combinations as well.

Thanks,

Mark

On 8/5/2017 at 7:35 PM, FlyBaby said:

Hi,

My Specs are i7 7700k / 16GB 3200 Ram / GTX 1080

Question 1

Can anyone comment on the performance impact of the flight1 GTN 750?

I am flying AntsAirplane's Eaglet to use with the GTN 750.

Currently I am capable of flying the Carenado DA42 glass cockpit smoothly...if that's any type of reference point.

Also

I see that we can't load P3D flight plans into the GTN 750. How does Active Sky P4 know what weather to load if a P3D flight plan is not loaded?

What does loading a flight plan into the GTN have to do with AS4? AS4 loads weather into the sim relevant to your aircraft position, period. You can load a P3D flight plan into AS4, but it's only value is to show flight plan data, a brief of the route weather, and the flight plan on the AS4 map.

As far as loading flight plans into the GTN, try SimBrief https://www.simbrief.com/home/index.php

SimBrief can output plan files for P3D (which can also be loaded into AS4), the GTN's, as well as formats for most addons available for P3D. It's free to use, highly capable, and really convenient.

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

On 8/8/2017 at 2:16 AM, Michael Moe said:

Is there a way without Simstarter (dont have it) to set the CPU Cores for Chaseplane,Active Sky Network,Vpilot etc automatically ?

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael,

Try Process Lasso. It's available free, with some limitations, but if all you want to do is set affinity, that's included for free. Nice thing is that the setting is persistent, so no need to set it every time you run those apps.

Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

Perhaps a different issue - maybe the half framerate problem that pops up occasionally with undocked panels?

I use a planner that outputs several types of plan for the GTNs. A custom user waypoints table is also generated in different ways for waypoints that don't exist in the GTN navdata. Works on P3D v4. I'm not sure if that's available from other planners but have not checked lately.

Edited by SteveW

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

20 hours ago, newtie said:

Where did you get the "Core=998" info? I'm now running HT and would like to know other combinations as well.

Hi Mark, The selection for choosing the 'cores' in the  'FLTGTN ConfigP3d tool are ..Auto..0..1..2..3..4..5..6..7..Last two..&..All.

After selection you can look at the F1GTN.ini file in the Airplane folder.

ie

[GTN750.1]
Airplane=1
TAWS Voice=1
AVDB=0
Unit Type=1
Radios=0
Autopilot=1
Mouse=1
Link CRS=1
Auto CRS=1
Fuel=1
Sound=1
Invert Mouse Wheel=0
Active Mouse=1
CPU Core=1.................................note core 0 was selected in the config tool.  If last two selected this value will be 998 and for the 'all' selection this will be 999
Play Click=1
VC Brightness=5
Color Airplane=0
VFR Code=1200
Fuel Type=0
[GTN650.1]
Airplane=0
TAWS Voice=0
AVDB=0
Unit Type=2
Radios=1
Autopilot=1
Mouse=1
Link CRS=1
Auto CRS=1
Fuel=1
Sound=0
Invert Mouse Wheel=0
Active Mouse=1
CPU Core=6 .................................core 5 was selected in the config tool. If last two selected this value will be 998 and for the 'all' selection this will be 999
Play Click=1
Play Click=1
VC Brightness=6
Color Airplane=0
VFR Code=1200
Fuel Type=0

When I select 'Auto' it appears to show the core values of CPU Core =0 for both the 750 and 650 respective and looking at the AM values in task manager ( w7 here) it shows the 750 on core 7 and the 650 on core 6.. a bit odd.

this is for the Milviz c310R

I found when using Prepar3d v4.1 I was having some sluggish issues so I used the 'ALL' selection. but ver 4.2 appears to be a lot better. this could be for the update to 2.05

hope this helps

bob

Hey Bob-

After much ado, I pieced much of this together over a bit of time. 

Oddly enough, Core=0 in the .ini file results in core 7 checked in the task manager, on my machine anyway.

So, I put together an AM (117) which leaves core 7 open.

Seems to work pretty well. So, I kinda did this backwards :>)

Thanks,

Mark

I would say that even with poorly selected AM there would not show a significant performance drop.

On ‎06‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 12:35 AM, FlyBaby said:

I see that we can't load P3D flight plans into the GTN 750. How does Active Sky P4 know what weather to load if a P3D flight plan is not loaded?

You need a .PLN for P3D and you need a .gfp corresponding to the plan to load into the GTN.

Problem with converting plans for the GTN is that if your navdata is different to the current data in the GTN then some components of the plan might be ignored if they don't exist in the GTN and if they do exist in the GTN then the GTN Lat/Lon is used which might be different to your plan.

To get round this I use a planner that outputs all waypoints as user data and the plan is exactly the plan you are using. If the ICAO exists in the GTN I see the info even though it is sent as User data.

On 3/31/2018 at 9:04 PM, SteveW said:

I use a planner that outputs several types of plan for the GTNs.

Hi Steve-

What's the name of that planner, if you don't mind me asking?

Mark

12 minutes ago, newtie said:

Hi Steve-

What's the name of that planner, if you don't mind me asking?

Mark

Hi Mark, my intention was to help understand the possibilities and shortfalls of using the GTN, and that there are quite a few planners than can make exports for it. For example the planner I use makes the runway ends the endpoints of the plan (the true endpoints) rather than the airports ICAOs. May not be available in all planners. I'm sure you know what I use IF you think about it.

I'll put my thinkin' cap on :biggrin:

Anyway, Foreflight makes this pretty easy. You can download routes that have just been used by ATC into Foreflight. Then just plug that SID/STAR/Airway into the GTN and you're good to go. I spoke to FF about that export question but it's not in the cards currently. However, terminal gate numbers are.

Mark

Yes, that works mostly, so long as all the waypoints exist. Downloading routes is kind of problematic unless you do only a few popular routes. Remember that some waypoints change from month to month sending the true lat/lon in the user table overcomes that. Also I tend to be all over the world so the determination of some waypoints is inconsistent. Instead my planner makes routes from the combined set of fsAerofdata, all AIRAC types such as PMDG or Level-D, and the actual scenery. No point downloading a plan that lands me in a field, I want plans of the actual data in my sim most of the time.

Edited by SteveW

We might want to download a plan or manually make a plan in PFPX or any other of the very fine programs available, some free. That plan would be from a singe dataset, different to the sim in many ways. It might be good to be able to convert it into an equivalent 100% reliable plan being matched to the real sim navdata, rather than the real world AIRAC.

So the GTN works by using its own navdata set, a single AIRAC. But we can provide it with user waypoints when the ones in the GTN don't match and that route line follows the real deal. The GTN is based on the trainer app and so is fairly restrictive in the way it can be used. Several planners output user waypoints for it like Little Nav Map for example.