Sign in to follow this  
ozflyer

Any change in UI menu makes MCE crash

Hi

When I click or change any menu options... MCE says looking for aircraft changes and crashes.

P3D v4 and PMDG 747 v3.

Has anyone had this happen?.

Thanks

Nothing has changed with regards the user interface recently.

Keep in mind, when you click a button or tab, some sound is played. 

If using a USB headset, suggest you unplug it, wait a minute or so, then re-plug it to another USB port at the back of the PC.

Do not plug it via a USB hub and avoid the front PC USB connectors. These may not deliver enough power to the USB headset embedded audio chip.

Eventually, when having any kind of issue with MCE settings, reset it to factory defaults.

Start->All Apps->Multi Crew Experience->Tools->Restore factory settings.

On 8/7/2017 at 9:23 PM, FS++ said:

If using a USB headset, suggest you unplug it, wait a minute or so, then re-plug it to another USB port at the back of the PC.

Do not plug it via a USB hub and avoid the front PC USB connectors. These may not deliver enough power to the USB headset embedded audio chip.

Eventually, when having any kind of issue with MCE settings, reset it to factory defaults.

Thanks Gerald

I will give it a go and report back...

On 07/08/2017 at 9:23 PM, FS++ said:

Hi Gerald - I did a complete reinstall and the issue still exists. I also have the USB headset connected in the back port on the motherboard IO ports.

What happens is ...

On starting MCE , it detects the PMDG 747 v2 and I have "copilot listening on BOEING 744" on the top line of the MCE UI.

If uncheck any of the boxes under General/Features or change voices under crew members and voices tab the MCE UI crashes.

Also I am not able to communicate with the copilot, no response from him.

I had MCE working under FSX in my old PC and it never had any issues, worked perfectly.

When I installed this new PC, i also went through voice setup and training etc.

In my new PC, with P3D v4, I have two SSD drives, and P3D and MCE are installed in D drive under D:\Program Files (x86)\Multi Crew Experience

P3D and MCE are running as administrator.

Any ideas what is going on ?.

I also noticed that MCE is not recognizing the voice, but the headset is configured in MCE, it is also working find in Windows 10.

so looks like I have two issues, where any change in the UI causes MCE to crash, and MCE not able to listen to my voice commands.

17 minutes ago, ozflyer said:

I also noticed that MCE is not recognizing the voice, but the headset is configured in MCE, it is also working find in Windows 10.

so looks like I have two issues, where any change in the UI causes MCE to crash, and MCE not able to listen to my voice commands.

Maybe audio device detection.

Run the "assign sound device" tool.

In Windows 10 search box at the bottom of the screen, type "assign sound device.

Windows will find the tool.

Run it and set the correct "Audio In" and "Audio Out", click OK and let the wizard make automatic adjustments if necessary.

With MCE up and running, go to <About> tab in UI and check which devices are listed as currently in use.

Just a reminder, if you want to install MCE outside default C:\Program Files (x86)\ folder, and MCE reports it cannot get data from the sim, you need to disable Windows UAC.

It's best to just install to default, as the install size, even when you include all 10 recorded voice packs will not exceed 2 GB.

1 hour ago, FS++ said:

Maybe audio device detection.

Run the "assign sound device" tool.

In Windows 10 search box at the bottom of the screen, type "assign sound device.

Windows will find the tool.

Run it and set the correct "Audio In" and "Audio Out", click OK and let the wizard make automatic adjustments if necessary.

With MCE up and running, go to <About> tab in UI and check which devices are listed as currently in use.

Just a reminder, if you want to install MCE outside default C:\Program Files (x86)\ folder, and MCE reports it cannot get data from the sim, you need to disable Windows UAC.

It's best to just install to default, as the install size, even when you include all 10 recorded voice packs will not exceed 2 GB.

Thanks Gerald.

I had disabled win10 UAC, still am getting the error.

I will try all you have prescribed above and if still no luck, will install to default.

One question, if I reinstall to default do I need to get a new license file ? Or can I just copy across the existing license file ?.

18 minutes ago, ozflyer said:

Thanks Gerald.

I had disabled win10 UAC, still am getting the error.

I will try all you have prescribed above and if still no luck, will install to default.

One question, if I reinstall to default do I need to get a new license file ? Or can I just copy across the existing license file ?.

No need for new license.

Not only re-install to default, but also suggest you reset MCE to factory settings, just in case your config file has been messed-up.

It will give you a new one with default settings.

Start->All Apps->Multi Crew Experience->Restore factory settings

The UI hasn't been touched for at least a year. It's unlikely the crash is related to button click itself. Since the click plays audio as well, It's something on the audio side.

Also, when running the "assign sound device" tool, check that all audio devices are accounted for (in listbox).

Sometimes, forgetting to install drivers for other devices that you may not be using can cause side effects.

Go to Windows Device Manager and ensure no device is missing drivers.

Hi Gerald - I reinstalled into default.

Reset to factory settings and reconfigured, still MCE does not recognise speech.

Plus any change I make on the UI does not save.

MCE is set to run as administrator.

I am completely lost, cannot get MCE to work, have been at it for 4 weeks now.

What am I missing ????.

1 minute ago, ozflyer said:

Hi Gerald - I reinstalled into default.

Checked sound devices, all good no config or driver issues.

1 minute ago, ozflyer said:

Reset to factory settings and reconfigured, still MCE does not recognise speech.

Plus any change I make on the UI does not save.

MCE is set to run as administrator.

I am completely lost, cannot get MCE to work, have been at it for 4 weeks now.

What am I missing ????.

Gerald - I have cortana turned off vi registry. Could that be causing FO not recognise my instructions?.

Also I don't see the red line of recognised speech, its turned on in the MCE UI.

5 hours ago, ozflyer said:

Gerald - I have cortana turned off vi registry. Could that be causing FO not recognise my instructions?.

Also I don't see the red line of recognised speech, its turned on in the MCE UI.

It's certainly worrying if no speech is recognized, assuming MCE has set the speech engine to listen on the correct device.

Normally, Microsoft Cortana isn't required.

Knowing that by design you cannot disable it, I wouldn't bet against defensive measures put there by Microsoft to ward off those attempts to disable it via registry hacks or other means.

Same with Windows UAC. If you use the registry hack, Windows is more likely to become more defensive and not run as admin, even though on the surface it appears it's completely disabled.

Long gone are the days of Windows XP where you could have complete control on your machine, including registry and folders permissions.

Could you post a screenshot of the <About> tab in MCE user interface?

Are "Sound In" and "Sound Out" listed devices what you expect?

You can prevent the audio playing those click sounds when you press a button in UI by going to C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\Multi Crew experience\, opening "mce.ini" and ensuring

[Window]

NoSound=1

Have you by any chance modified folders permissions in C:\Users\ or one of its subfolders?

That's another No, No. You could get operations blocked by Windows without apparent reason.

Eventually, assuming there is no issue with one of your audio devices...

Un-install MCE via Windows Control Panel.

Set Windows UAC to default and restart PC if necessary.

Create a new user account with admin privileges and most importantly keep its UAC settings to default.

Login to the newly created account and run "installMCE". Accept default installation path (C:\Program Files (x86)\.... and just set "fsx.exe" and/or "Prepar3D.exe" to run as admin.

You'll have to go through the wizard as the new user account would have a separate speech profile that needs to be trained from scratch.

See if you can run OK using the new user account.

6 hours ago, FS++ said:

It's certainly worrying if no speech is recognized, assuming MCE has set the speech engine to listen on the correct device.

Normally, Microsoft Cortana isn't required.

Knowing that by design you cannot disable it, I wouldn't bet against defensive measures put there by Microsoft to ward off those attempts to disable it via registry hacks or other means.

Same with Windows UAC. If you use the registry hack, Windows is more likely to become more defensive and not run as admin, even though on the surface it appears it's completely disabled.

Long gone are the days of Windows XP where you could have complete control on your machine, including registry and folders permissions.

Could you post a screenshot of the <About> tab in MCE user interface?

Are "Sound In" and "Sound Out" listed devices what you expect?

You can prevent the audio playing those click sounds when you press a button in UI by going to C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\Multi Crew experience\, opening "mce.ini" and ensuring

[Window]

NoSound=1

Have you by any chance modified folders permissions in C:\Users\ or one of its subfolders?

That's another No, No. You could get operations blocked by Windows without apparent reason.

Eventually, assuming there is no issue with one of your audio devices...

Un-install MCE via Windows Control Panel.

Set Windows UAC to default and restart PC if necessary.

Create a new user account with admin privileges and most importantly keep its UAC settings to default.

Login to the newly created account and run "installMCE". Accept default installation path (C:\Program Files (x86)\.... and just set "fsx.exe" and/or "Prepar3D.exe" to run as admin.

You'll have to go through the wizard as the new user account would have a separate speech profile that needs to be trained from scratch.

See if you can run OK using the new user account.

But when I used the setup app, I went through speech training and it worked.

Its only when I run p3d and MCEspeech wasn't getting recognised.

Could this be a license issue?. I copied the license file sent to me.

Thinking, last resort is reinstall from scratch, incl OS, p3d etc... Will be a pain though :-(

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:19 PM, ozflyer said:

But when I used the setup app, I went through speech training and it worked.

Its only when I run p3d and MCEspeech wasn't getting recognised.

Could this be a license issue?. I copied the license file sent to me.

Thinking, last resort is reinstall from scratch, incl OS, p3d etc... Will be a pain though :-(

No, it's not a license issue at all. You know it's the case when you ask co-pilot to do something and he tells you he's on strike.

Agree, it would be a pain to have to format and re-install.

That's why we have this 2 tier design.

No files are modified in FSX or P3D installation folder, not even "aircraft.cfg" or "panel.cfg"

We simply add "fsInsider.dll" (fsInside64.dll in P3D V4 case) and <MCE dlls> folder to simulator installation folder.

Should you experience issues with the sim, you just rename "fsInsider.dll" to "NO-fsInsider.dll" and you'd be back  to your original FSX or P3D setup, without even needing to un-install MCE. 

None of the dlls in <MCE dlls> folder loads on its own. It's fsInsider.dll, once running in the sim that decides, depending on detected aircraft, which one it should load.

Therefore, never ever consider re-installing the simulator for the sake of MCE.

The main app (MCE) installs and runs as an external process for better stability of the sim, and in FSX and P3D V3.4 case, prevents the speech engine eating valuable flight sim VAS memory (limited to 4 GB).

If your MCE config file is screwed, a restore to factory settings should get you up and running.

That leaves the speech engine and audio drivers as the only parts we don't control.

Suggest you undo the registry changes you made in relation to Cortana, or folder permissions, if you did override these.

Have you tried installing via a different user account with default settings?

I will try re enabling cortana and give it a go.

I did not do any changes to folder permissions.

I will try to install via a different user account and if it also does not work then I guess the only option is reinstall is, sim etc.

I have been at this for almost a month.

I have got so used to MCE, do not want to do any flights without it.