Sign in to follow this  
Misha_K

Active Camera vs. Walk& Follow

Can someone comment on the differences? Pros/cons. The price difference is about $10. Iam debating on getting one of the two. Has the old issue with floating autogen in Active Camera been solved?

Guest Adverse Yawn

Dunno about the DBS product, but ActiveCamera is pants if you use TrackIR, half the features simply don't work too well.

Not my experience. I use TrackIR & AC, work great together, all I did was turn off head latency in Active Camera.* Orest

Orest Skrypuch
President & CEO, UVA

www.united-virtual.com

OK. Thanks for this. But I don't use TrackIR. What are the differences and has the floating autogen bug in Active Camera been resolved?

>Can someone comment on the differences? Pros/cons. The price>difference is about $10. Iam debating on getting one of the>two. Has the old issue with floating autogen in Active Camera>been solved?I use both, and they work well, with a little keyboad remapping, although, others, including AC's developer have said they had compatibility issues between them. The 2 main advantages of Walk and Follow, is because it modifies the spot view to allow more freedom in vew, it makes it possible to have wingviews in all aircraft, even the ones not designed with wing views in mind like the PMDG 744. Wingviews are only possible in Active Camera, if the developer included them in their virtual Cockpit model, like PMDG 737's. The other thing W&F makes possible, is the ability to have a completely independant 360 deegree tower view of an airport, for those who want to do some AI plane spoting. This is done because W&F has the ability to completely detach itself from the focus aircraft so you can view in any direction. Note this is possible in AC but W&F is more versatile in this area. Where Active Camera really shines is in it's internal Virtual Cockpit viewing capabilities. Especially it's ability to simulate the affects of buffeting and turbulance. I really couldn't do without either one.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Great! Thanks for your review Tom. Just to my one concern, I noticed in the old freeware version of Active Camera and in some screenshots there used to be that problem of floating autogen, i.e. invisible mountains, when walking around the user aircraft. Is this still an issue in AC and does W&F have any similar bugs?

Guest frontierflight

I believe active camera still has that problem. W&F works like a charm.

Has anyone gotten W&F to work under Windows 98? Their site says it's supported by Windows 200 and XP only. I'd be curious to see if anyone has tried.-John

Hey John, I don't know the facts answering your question, however I can tell you that the operating system Kernals between Win2000 and XP are very similar. Win98 is completely different animal from this aspect. Win 98 & ME are similar like 2000 and XP are. So I doubt very much that it would work. I could be wrong, but If I am, I would be suprised. I hope this helps. I also have active camera and I think I will try walk and follow. It does sound nice to have the best of both worlds.

Guest ecv737

I had a very BAD EXPERIENCE with Walk and Follow Distributor (DBS).I paid for the program, and never got the Key. Send them very many emails, and they never replied. I even posted my complaints in their FORUM (there were 8 similar complaints in that Forum that week), all of them complaining that they had not received the Key.So I gave up. I am not going to go broke for somebody getting away with my Money. So I let this Russian FS shareware company continue with their scam.I hope you guys have better luck than I did. But customer serice at DB stinks.If you go to their Forum (at least when I went through my ordea) I saw many posting complaining about some incompatibilities with other programmes. I hope they have solved this.Edmundo CardenasCaracas, Venezuela rcv4bannersupporter.jpg[/url]

Wasn't AC bringing out a new version that effectively did what W&F does, as far as the wing views are concerned?Can you run both AC and W&F together? AC appears to be better for the VC, and W&F better for wing views perhaps? I only have AC.Thanks- Bruce.

>Wasn't AC bringing out a new version that effectively did>what W&F does, as far as the wing views are concerned?>>Can you run both AC and W&F together? AC appears to be better>for the VC, and W&F better for wing views perhaps? I only>have AC.>>Thanks- Bruce.>>Yes they were, however, they found it was more complex than they thought to intergrate with their existing product, so they put it on hold. They did say they probably would work on it for the future. That was abot 6 months ago, so maybe something may have changed by now.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

When I asked on the now defunk AC forum as to when we might expect the previously promised W&F functionality for AC the developer was quite indignant complaining about pressure folks were putting on him about the upgrade saying this was a "hobby". If his addon was freeware I could appreciate his point of view but as it is payware I found his response a bit hard to accept. Anyway I gave up waiting and got W&F - seems to work as advertised but there may well be incompatibilities with other addons that I have yet to discover. I'm a bit brassed off that I had to get yet another addon in order to have wingviews on my PMDG 747 but that's the way it goes.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."