Sign in to follow this  
Guest Edam

Idiot's guide to capturing ILS

Here is a simplistic guide to capturing the ILS which works (for an idiot like me at least) and which I hope may help some other floundering pilots.RegardsJayhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/142759.jpgModerator Note--I have edited your post to allow the members to see your diagram without having to click the link - JC

Jay,Thank you for sharing this information. Your illustration does a great job explaining this procedure. Regards,Dave Vega

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

Guest Edam

Nice job, and you have it right, but it doesn't always work.For some reason, it sometimes occurs that even when you do everything perfectly, you don't capture. There have been a lot of posts on that subject lately, strangely enough.

Guest rpjkw1155

I've been using Jay's technique, which is correct, for a couple of years. Sometimes it WON'T capture, but that's when I hand fly to touchdown. Not a big deal; you just can't sit back thinking about something else until the last second. Lead the approach in your mind and, unless you have "zero zero" conditions, you'll be ready in case it doesn't intercept.Bob

it only doesnt capture if you are too high, not at a 30 degree angle to the localizer, or at an airport with a messed up afcad file or your addon aircraft has some bugs

Guest rpjkw1155

You are absolutely correct. Thanks,Bob

Guest Edam

When it happens I can use Autosave to go back and then it DOES capture, so it's not a question of being too high, not at a 30 degree angle to the localizer, or at an airport with a messed up afcad file or your addon aircraft has some bugs. Sometimes it just doesn't work.

Guest av84fun

I don't know why the FS9 A/P sometimes doesn't capture at all but INTW as well as in FS9 there is one additional step.It is correct that ATC will often try to work you toward glideslope intercept at a 30 degree angle (plenty of times at a greater angle though). But with virtually all GA autopilots (I don't know about the big iron guages) if you interecept as steep as 30 degrees, you will fly through the GS and then the AP will do a series of S turns to finally capture.It is better technique to approach at 30 degrees (actually whatever vector ATC gives you) and then when the localizer needle starts to move toward center, MANUALLY shallow the intercept angle...gradually, until the needle is nearly centered and THEN engage the APP mode.Regards,Jim

>When it happens I can use Autosave to go back and then it>DOES capture, so it's not a question of being too high, not at>a 30 degree angle to the localizer, or at an airport with a>messed up afcad file or your addon aircraft has some bugs.>Sometimes it just doesn't work.what airplane are you using?