Sign in to follow this  
scianoir

How representative is South America?

I have been considering adding South America to my Orbx scenery collection but I have been put off somewhat by the screenshots many of which look as if they could be from anywhere in the world and don't necessarily give me personally a feel of South America. For example the shots showing what I assume might be the Amazon jungle do not give me the impression of the lush jungle textures which I expected but look more like a forest in a temperate area. There is farmland which looks as if it is from rural England and there is one shot of a lake that reminds me very much of Lough Ness!

I know that South America is a vast continent which must contain a huge variation in 'landclass' types across its extent and I accept that maybe I am totally wrong in these observations! If so I apologise and am open to correction as I have never been to South America but I would appreciate any feedback from people using this Open LC scenery and in particular from any simmers from South America who might like to comment on whether they feel the appearances in this new product are 'true to life' as they see their continent.

Bill

Hi Bill,

I am relatively familiar with the Cordoba, Argentina area. I have distant family friends there and even though never visited, have spent a lot of time sim flying in the area and considered developing some scenery projects of that area.

My candid appraisal of the Orbx product is: way better than the default. Does it match my expectations? Only in this "better than default" way. Would I purchase again? Yes, still way better than default. Is it a complete representation of this area: No, but better than the default.

Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Henry,

That's helpful and the fact that you would purchase it again is a good recommendation. I guess "way better than default" is a pretty good standard to achieve in a scenery product that covers such a vast area and perhaps my expectations are a little too high and my concept of what South America (and particularly the tropical vegetation of the Amazon) should look like from the air is not quite correct!

Bill

Right - it's not as detailed "regional" sections, but it's not bad by any means.  I spent a few weeks ago waging my way through South American all the way to Northern section of Antarctica and on my way back used the new South America add-on, which was as definite improvement.  Many of the obscure airports still remain basic though/

Mark Trainer

• Upvote 1

Hi Mark, 

As it is an OpenLC scenery addon, I don't expect it to be as detailed as the 'full fat' regional scenery products but perhaps I had hoped that the Brazilian jungle might look a bit more like a tropical rain forest rather than the New Forest in Hampshire!!

Bill