Sign in to follow this  
jaybird1nyc

Anyone Tried VFR?

Installed the v7.4 demo yesterday and I still have the same issue as with all the previous betas. After approach tells you to "Report airfield in sight", and you do so at the appropriate time, there is no further instruction given. Traffic advisories do continue, but you are left hanging with no instruction to contact Unicom/CTAF and no pattern callouts. Sorry, this applies only to non-towered fields. Flying VFR into towered fields works fine, as it did with the betas.

I've sent Tegwyn this info, but no reply as of yet...

On a positive note, the issue about being unable to contact "Utopia Radio" to open your flightplan has been fixed - YAY

Jay

Current Build (02/2024): AMD 7800X3D | Asrock X670E Steel Legend MB | Noctua NH-U12S Chromax | 32gb GSkill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000 CAS 30 | Samsung 990 Pro 2tb NVMe Gen4 (OS) | WD Black 4tb NVMe Gen4 (MSFS) | Corsair RM1000x Shift Series PS | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix ROG | LG 55" C2 Display

11 hours ago, jaybird1nyc said:

Installed the v7.4 demo yesterday and I still have the same issue as with all the previous betas. After approach tells you to "Report airfield in sight", and you do so at the appropriate time, there is no further instruction given. Traffic advisories do continue, but you are left hanging with no instruction to contact Unicom/CTAF and no pattern callouts. Sorry, this applies only to non-towered fields. Flying VFR into towered fields works fine, as it did with the betas.

I've sent Tegwyn this info, but no reply as of yet...

On a positive note, the issue about being unable to contact "Utopia Radio" to open your flightplan has been fixed - YAY

Jay

I tried a couple of vfr flights over the weekend, my issue was not even getting handed of to the destination. Even when i'm right over the airfield. I like the way it works, just need to figure out how to complete a full flight! :)

I'm not sure whether this is a bug or not. At a non-towered airfield, it's up to the pilot to switch frequencies and communicate via unicom. But there should be a handoff from approach, though maybe "Report airfield in sight" is all that one gets in VOXATC, VFR at non-towered fields is not VOXATC's strongest suite as anyone would expect. But as Jay wrote above, at least the Utopia Radio issue seems to have been addressed.

Would it not all depend on what Class of airspace you are in or that the airport in question is part of? You are simply being provided VFR flight following.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Correct. Also, I was taught (which could be totally wrong) not to overuse unicom when flying VFR. It's for safety and shouldn't be clogged up with a bunch of position declarations, etc.

I never had a problem with the Utopia Radio in any version of Vox. That name Utopia Radio was used when there was no FSS (Flight Service Station) com entry in the airports AFX file. As soon as began to add this manually for my airports Vox started to use whatever FSS I added to it. I use Scruffy Duck AFX efitor. For all my Orbx PNW airfields for example I added the station ”Seattle Radio” and many of them 122.20. After that Utopia Radio was Replaced when opening flightplan to ”Seattle Radio”

Knowing how and what to edit in the AFX files is key to a good Vox experience in my opinion. Doing this also provides a better and more realistic flight with Vox. Update frequencies, close a runway for start, update traffic patterns in use for each runway as well as parking positions and taxi routes.

Mike

11 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I'm not sure whether this is a bug or not. At a non-towered airfield, it's up to the pilot to switch frequencies and communicate via unicom. But there should be a handoff from approach, though maybe "Report airfield in sight" is all that one gets in VOXATC, VFR at non-towered fields is not VOXATC's strongest suite as anyone would expect. But as Jay wrote above, at least the Utopia Radio issue seems to have been addressed.

Jay, I got a reply from Tegwyn early this morning. He said he was looking into it. You're not wrong about it being the pilot's responsibility to contact unicom and then to self-announce your pattern entry and turns all the way in. It's just that the behavior in V7 is unlike any previous versions. It's not like you CAN'T do it all without VoxATC displaying the required calls to make, It just feels like you're left hanging. Also, why would ATC tell you to "Report airfield in sight" and then when you do, they don't respond at all? Has to be an issue in VoxATC. Hopefully, Tegwyn can find out what's going on quickly.

7 hours ago, mikced76 said:

I never had a problem with the Utopia Radio in any version of Vox. That name Utopia Radio was used when there was no FSS (Flight Service Station) com entry in the airports AFX file. As soon as began to add this manually for my airports Vox started to use whatever FSS I added to it. I use Scruffy Duck AFX efitor. For all my Orbx PNW airfields for example I added the station ”Seattle Radio” and many of them 122.20. After that Utopia Radio was Replaced when opening flightplan to ”Seattle Radio”

Knowing how and what to edit in the AFX files is key to a good Vox experience in my opinion. Doing this also provides a better and more realistic flight with Vox. Update frequencies, close a runway for start, update traffic patterns in use for each runway as well as parking positions and taxi routes.

Mike

There was indeed a problem in all the beta versions where you were unable to contact Utopia Radio. Yes, you are correct that the quick fix was to edit the airport in Airport Design Editor and add an FSS frequency. It's a moot point now that V7.4 is out. The problem was fixed. One less thing to do...

Current Build (02/2024): AMD 7800X3D | Asrock X670E Steel Legend MB | Noctua NH-U12S Chromax | 32gb GSkill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000 CAS 30 | Samsung 990 Pro 2tb NVMe Gen4 (OS) | WD Black 4tb NVMe Gen4 (MSFS) | Corsair RM1000x Shift Series PS | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix ROG | LG 55" C2 Display

I always had the Utopia radio issue in previous beta 7 versions. Also, it's good to know that the other issue is being reviewed.