Sign in to follow this  
Dan_Churchman

Wilco 7X Questions

I've only had this add-on a few days, but I've read the manuals and can't find answers to my questions. Hoping someone here can help.

Q 1. As is true for all planes that use Navigraph AIRACs, I found myself flying into an airport yesterday that wasn't in my 1708 AIRAC.  Two issues arose from this that baffled me.

1. The system popped up a box to suggest that I load an approach.  Of course, as I've said, the FMS couldn't find any.  But the popup kept returning, and even came up during short final.  Is there a way to disable this?
  2. I was frankly surprised that the lack of an entry in the AIRAC more or less locked me out from any programmable solution to an approach.  The FMS couldn't even let me select a runway!  There doesn't appear to be any facility for manually programming the FMS.  Have I missed something?  I have the LDS763 and all of this is a breeze to accomplish.

Q 2. OAT was well below 0.  As I descended towards clouds, I went to the overhead panel and turned on everything for anti-icing.  All switches had ON indicators illuminated.  About 60 seconds after becoming fully immersed in the clouds, the EICAS alerted me to ice build up.  Did I miss something?

Q 3. I can't find any way to set crossing altitudes, or otherwise adjust my vertical profile.

Q 4. In a similar vein, I seem to be doing my step climbs incorrectly.  The only way I have found to instigate a climb is to set the new altitude, then disable VNAV and use Climb.  I also seem to need to manually select a V/Speed.  AND the system screams at me that I am not at the correct altitude the whole time.  How should a step climb be performed?

Q 5. During approach, is there some condition under which the A/T becomes inactive?  I was on an ILS approach, LOC and GS captured, and slowing down, working flaps; I had my gear down.  I went to reduce from 150 to 110 (still pretty heavy with fuel), but found the readout greyed out, and the knob unresponsive.  The "engaged" light was still illuminated.  Very confusing.

FYI I read other threads listing a bunch of bugs.  As to frame rate, mine is smooth, but then I was flying offline, there was little traffic, and stock airports.  I also have a fairly beefy system (specs in sig.).

32634443566_ac93fccbf6_t.jpg

Dan C (China Dan)
System: ASUS i7-6700K 4.0 GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1070 4GB @7680 x 1440 (3 x ASUS MX27AQ @2560 x 1440)
Software: Win 7 Ultimate SP1, FSX:SE

Hi Dan,

I am currently waiting for Wilco to respond to my support ticket (1 week and waiting).

It seems you managed to load a flight plan using the FMS, mine fails every time, I also discovered that the pressurization systems is faulty as:

1. If you fly over 41.000 FT the pressurization system fails.. with the cabin altitude going over 10,000 ft.
  2. Overall the cabin altitude is wrong, at 41,000 Ft it puts the cabin altitude almost at 10,000ft, this is wrong since the 7X is supposed to be able to fly up to 51.000 ft and keep the cabin at 6.000ft.

Regarding the climb and autopilot I have the same problems as you, plus I cannot disconnect it during landing, the only solution so far is to disable fly by wire by using the ShiftKey+2 menu, however this needs to be done for every single flight since it doesn't remember the settings so you can try that to see if it alleviate your issues but note that even when I have disabled the FWB I still had some problems to convince the plane to maintain the V/S as I wish so there are bugs all over the place with the autopilot..

If I don't get these things sorted withing 2 weeks from now I will ask for a refund via paypal.

Regards,

Simbol.

2 hours ago, simbol said:

I am currently waiting for Wilco to respond to my support ticket (1 week and waiting).

If I don't get these things sorted withing 2 weeks from now I will ask for a refund via paypal.

On their web page, I see that their offices are closed until August 30.  So you are not likely to get an answer before then...

Dan C (China Dan)
System: ASUS i7-6700K 4.0 GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1070 4GB @7680 x 1440 (3 x ASUS MX27AQ @2560 x 1440)

4 hours ago, Dan_Churchman said:

Q 5. During approach, is there some condition under which the A/T becomes inactive?  I was on an ILS approach, LOC and GS captured, and slowing down, working flaps; I had my gear down.  I went to reduce from 150 to 110 (still pretty heavy with fuel), but found the readout greyed out, and the knob unresponsive.  The "engaged" light was still illuminated.  Very confusing.

OK, I answered my own question today; at least one of them.

The FMC does indeed have settings for in vicinity of your destination airport (two ways this is activated - crossing first App waypoint, or within a certain distance of the airport {default is 15nm}) and if the FMS is in charge, it will grey out the speed reading on the Guidance Panel.  It has four speed settings - one each for clean (190 default but you can change it), SF1 (149), SF2 (139), and SF3 (VAPP).

The gotcha for new players like me is that if your destination airport doesn't have any approach information (not in Navigraph's database), I think you'll have to set your vSpeeds manually in the landing panel | Landing Data tab if you want your automation to be able to handle this.

So, at least one question / problem resolved as Pilot Error :blush:

Dan C (China Dan)