Sign in to follow this  
ms2

P3dv4 with OrBx best choice of mesh:ps Global 2018 or Global Ultimate NG

Hello, all,

After discutions with Friends, we don't be able to decide between the 2 Pilot's Global meshes proposed.

We want to make the best choice for p3dv4.... to have a strict minimum of troubles with our's airports (most from Orbx and aerosoft).

I listen that before Orbx based all their creations on the version global 2010 (and now the nearest global seem to be the 2018 version... adapted for 64b.)

many thanks for your's answers 

3 hours ago, ms2 said:

Hello, all,

After discutions with Friends, we don't be able to decide between the 2 Pilot's Global meshes proposed.

We want to make the best choice for p3dv4.... to have a strict minimum of troubles with our's airports (most from Orbx and aerosoft).

I listen that before Orbx based all their creations on the version global 2010 (and now the nearest global seem to be the 2018 version... adapted for 64b.)

many thanks for your's answers 

Free mesh X

• Upvote 4

Matt Wilson

I'll second that. Check out Froogle's news this week. It's free so why not try it. I've been using freemesh for ages with all orbx stuff and they even do all their testing with it. V2 is here.

http://ninetwopro.com/freemeshx-2-0-release-announcement/

Chris

• Upvote 1

• Upvote 1

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

I looked those 2 links with a lot of interest, thank you.

I want to refurmulate mine question... A beter mesh, shure, is very well and better for landscapes and mountains. But, I remermber in P3dv3 a lot of problems with the runways of airports and sceneries on wrong levels... Is time consuming without fliyng.... 

Then in this version v4, I want to choice the best lod in regard of the editors choices, to have a maximum flights without bad sceneries.

I' am busy to download the free high meshes... kindly indicated... Shall be the best for Alpes of Himalaya of american's natural zone of the new South-America.

For the rest... all the other sceneries, what the is beter medium as lod level in v4?

Hello @ms2.

I newer owned any meshes for my sim until lately when FS Global Ultimate NG came out as a download (have good internet speed and no limitation ;) ). It was also on sale and I jumped to get it. I can tell you...my sim looks amazing now! The NG 1m mesh realy brings some eyecandy in the SIM. I personaly live near the alps and know my way around some of the mountain regions. I was amazed how much detail I can see now and it all loks as realistic as it could.

The downside of the mesh (and any other good mesh) is, yes you mentioned it, some wrong ARPT elevations. Now since the mesh gets you the right terrain elevation, you will find some ARP either in a "hole" or on a protruding piece of land. FS Global Ultimate NG comes with another free download tool caled AFM2. This tool has a database and can correct SOME of the wrong ARPTs but unfortunately not all. As a matter of fact, I'm just "fighting" with LPMA (Madeira) which sits ~400ft higher then normal. With the mesh, the terrain get's lowered to it's normal height and the ARPT sit's on "a rock". Again unfortunately, neither the AFM2 tool corrects this problem.

I'm very pleased of the product and the new look of the sim. I hope that I can find some custom scenery that corrects some issues AFM2 can't correct by itself.

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

Toposim is creating a new "UltraMesh" with 2.3m resolution.  They only have PA and WV available at the moment, but that might be the highest resolution available.  The standard toposim mesh is a mix of 19m (global), 10m (USA) and 5m (Alaska).  I believe freemesh is 38m.

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

19 minutes ago, Gridley said:

I believe freemesh is 38m.

38 m outside of the continental USA. Inside the USA is 9.5 m (and sample 2-m mesh for Mt. Rainier).

And there's no getting around the airport elevation issues. Not unless you steamroll the entire airport and its vicinity (PILOT's solution)....or blend in the mesh to the edges of the airport (my WIP but not yet completely functional solution)...

but I'm getting close to it...

Before blending....

zvLIWiI.jpg

After a little "blending"....

REAepr3.jpg

• Upvote 4

Thanks AviatorMoser...the blending really looks good!

Will this possibly a separate tool or will the airports already be blended? 

Also are you showing your latest Freemeshx beta above?

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

Following  the explain of GektheReaper, it seam that a unique choice of mesh don't exist.

Perhaps have for ifr flights a level as global 2018 and for vfr flights a very detailed mesh for eycandy landschapes and pleasure of details.

for me is time to digest the kinds answers you do, many thanks

58 minutes ago, JeffB said:

Thanks AviatorMoser...the blending really looks good!

Will this possibly a separate tool or will the airports already be blended? 

Also are you showing your latest Freemeshx beta above?

The plan is blend all of the U.S airports when the mesh leaves beta. As it currently stands in beta, no blending has been applied because the blending algorithm is not up to snuff yet, and there's potential conflicts with FTX Vector's AEC's that I have to consider.

If you have the money to spend Pilots Ultimate is a great product. But FreeMeshX is so close except maybe in areas like the Alps that might have a higher res from Pilots (just guessing I don't have it anymore to check). I have FreeMeshX, the America beta, and purchased Toposim Alaska and Hawaii mesh for total planet coverage.

Biggest issue is as others have said... P3D/FSX airports suck with a good mesh program.  It doesn't bother me too much and is generally fine with most Vector/LC areas, but the actual payware ORBX airports are giving me hell with Pilots Ultimate installed.  Some aren't usable, and by the time I disable all the needed mesh files, what's the point to even have them?  I'm frustrated to say the least.

So, based on your particular question when using ORBX airports, I'd stick with Global 2010 as it's what they officially support.  The few ORBX airports I've tried with Ultimate installed have been terrible elevation wise.  I still don't have a solution.

I love great mesh, and before ORBX released their P3Dv4 airports, I was loving it.... but, now with their airports installed, few actually look or function properly with Ultimate installed.

Thanks for your's return be77solo.

That confirm me that global ultimate shall giving a lot of job with airports elevations. Better then best mesh could be the worst (for airports of course). You confirm that orbx have installed their sceneries on medium pilot's mesh... global 2010. 

For less problem, I' m ready to spend a little money to be quite on ifr flights.  

And to fly vfr, one of mine neighbors-friend decided to acquired the ultimate version, so with our's 2 experiences, I shall have a real look on. For this kind of flight with the interrest to have very detailled mesh, I have the possibility to pre-correct some choiced airports before fliyng in turn-around to apprecate this level without frustration on landing ;-)

Switched, on start of computer, between a medium or a high mesh, shall perhaps, being mine final solution.

I have been using FS2010 in FSX, P3D2-3 and now on P3D4. Works.

Don't know if you can see a visible difference during flight if you make a comparison with the newer products such as NG, Ultimate or FS2018. I doubt. 

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR