Sign in to follow this  
varan112

Attach objects to aircraft

Hi everyone,
I'd like to attach objects to aircraft like a vehicle into a C130 but I don't know how to set the position... I can use trigonometry and find the lat,long,alt position but I'm sure it's not precise...
Is there a possibility to attach it by relative position from the aircraft?

Are you talking about attaching an object to a static C130 or one that you are flying?

If you want to attach the object to a static vehicle you could use a program like Instant Scenery to do it visually in the sim. If you want to attach a vehicle to a flyable aircraft, that is not possible.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The current beta of Lorby-SI's FireFighter X can attach some things to your aircraft, see:

While it works best with P3D, he made it possible to use it with FSX, too, but this might yield rubberbanding effects of the attached item. But it works for me :)

1 hour ago, cmpbellsjc said:

that is not possible.

Oh yes, it is with the SimConnect, I can do it but it isn't precise...

18 minutes ago, ThomasAH said:

The current beta of Lorby-SI's FireFighter X can attach some things to your aircraft, see:

While it works best with P3D, he made it possible to use it with FSX, too, but this might yield rubberbanding effects of the attached item. But it works for me :)

Thank you, it looks nice but I'd like to do my program...

The avantage of P3D is they got all the SimConnect project (with c/cpp, h, lib and dll's files) and they created more functions. So they created functions called "SimConnect_AttachAiObject()" , his remover function (I don't know what's its name),...

But P3D works like FSX so it is possible but I don't understand why... :D

19 minutes ago, ThomasAH said:

Interesting, I hadn't heard of that program. Prior I though only things like TacPac would be able to attach weapons. Never heard of the ability to attach objects to planes in FSX before this.

I've seen the Lorby-SI name around here for a while but have know idea what they make.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

19 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

Interesting, I hadn't heard of that program. Prior I though only things like TacPac would be able to attach weapons. Never heard of the ability to attach objects to planes in FSX before this

Yes because TacPac is a SimConnect application ;)

3 hours ago, varan112 said:

But P3D works like FSX so it is possible but I don't understand why... :D

l am afraid that you are wrong there. P3D has quite a few features that FSX never had. There is no way in FSX to programmatically attach a 3D object to another one. You can put an object on a payload station, but it will not show as a 3D model in the sim. AFAIK TacPack only works if the aircraft itself has special features, has been made "TacPack compatible"..

Best regards

LORBY-SI

I don't use P3D so I don't know everythink but I saw that the documentation says "The SimConnect_AttachObjectToSimObject function is used to create a new AI SimObject and attach it to an existing SimObject."

So yep payload but documentation says that it's possible everywhere no?

Even if it's with payload, the origin of the payload position has to be referenced somewhere and the P3D simConnect is the same one that the FSX SimConnect but a bit better so it is possible in FSX but how?... :blink:

Edit: ok, I'm fine with a none 3D simulated object could you say me how to place it precisely?

7 hours ago, varan112 said:

the P3D simConnect is the same one that the FSX SimConnect but a bit better

Again, no, it isn't. They have many function signatures in common, but that's it. P3D sim and API can do a lot more than FSX ever could, you can not compare the two. The part that you are interested in just doesn't exist in FSX, neither in the SimConnect API nor in the sim itself.

What I can tell you from experience is, that you will encounter many problems if you try it anyway in FSX, and that it will be very frustrating. There are time lags between object movement and aircraft movement, FPS issues and sychronization problems. The objects will not stay in a precise location in relation to another one. The method of choice before P3D was to incorporate the objects into the 3D model itself (the mdl file). But for that you need the source files and the 3D modelling program. Another option is to use the payload/sling/hoist system, adding the objects with a saved flight file. Even in P3D it is not perfect yet, attached objects are prone to stuttering, especially in the "unlimited" FPS setting, and the sim will crash when attachments are not handled correctly.

I have made three applications that are handling attached objects, and the best advice I can give you is to switch to P3D.

Best regards

• Upvote 1

LORBY-SI

Just to prove the point, here are a few of the things that you can do in P3D with SimConnect and objects at the touch of a button, but that are unthinkable in FSX:

Advertising banner
35604589944_75a216c5be_b.jpg

Dolled up Maule
36439633595_4a04fe58ae_b.jpg

AI aircraft with attached buckets
35631964253_d18630cbff_b.jpg

Best regards

• Upvote 2

LORBY-SI

Those missiles look hilarious on that Maule, they should make that a standard feature on the real thing, it'd definitely help it get quicker clearances at busy airports. :laugh:

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

2 hours ago, Chock said:

Those missiles look hilarious on that Maule, they should make that a standard feature on the real thing, it'd definitely help it get quicker clearances at busy airports. :laugh:

Ha ha ha, was thinking exactly the same. If i had my own plane i would attach some dummy missiles, just for fun,  but i guess it's not allowed in real life.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.

If it's not possible in FSX, how did TacPac do? It is possible but functions aren't there yet in the FSX SimConnect...

I know the best solution is P3D but I may not pass to P3D because the program won't be only for me...

If I have the lat, long, alt of my user aircraft and the offset of my object, I think it would be quite precise, isn't it? But I don't know the mathematics operations to find the position...

Edit: very fun the Maule... :biggrin:

47 minutes ago, varan112 said:

If it's not possible in FSX, how did TacPac do?

It is not possible with FSX SimConnect, but it may be possible by accessing the internals of the sim when it is running. Which could be the reason why TacPack is so restrictive in its compatibility. How exactly they did it is VRSs trade secret, and the reason why you have to pay $40 for this app.

Mathematics: that is for you to figure out I'm afraid. It is not that hard. But as I said, even when you have all the formulae written down, the result in FSX will not be what you have in mind. An attachment will stutter, it will jump around, and it will lag behind its "master" object. You will then have to factor in the movement parameters and the time differences, but in FSX the result will still be bad. I am pretty sure that you will be disappointed.

Best regards

LORBY-SI

7 hours ago, Chock said:

Need new ATC language for the Armed Maule....like....Maule 02Bravo is cleared to use any taxi route you desire to the runway of your choice. Jacksonville Center invites you to fly any route you choose at any altitude you may desire. If you wish to tell us you destination then ATC will be happy to offer cold drinks and snacks at your parking spot.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/