Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Is EzDok a good replacement for a POV hat?

I'm contemplating upgrading my Saitek Pro Yoke & throttle quadrants to a PFC Cirrus Saab yoke with their throttle quadrants. Whilst there are many gains there is one significant drawback. The PFC doesn't have a POV hat.

I've searched for any type of hardware that might include a POV hat but is not a joystick. The only possibility is a Logitech G13 keypad but the joystick doesn't look very good and it's expensive.

Could EzDok provide an alternative with customised views? I would like to assign a left/right and up/down action to 4 buttons emulating the POV action.

Never used EzDok but it does seem a popular utility.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

50 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I would like to assign a left/right and up/down action to 4 buttons emulating the POV action.

Hi Ray, I'm using EzDoc v2.5 beta for P3D v4 and there is a function 'Walk around' which can be activated for each camera view, what that means is you can use the standard keyboard arrow keys to move up and down and from side to side. ( as well as the mouse scroll button )

I see you are still using p3d v3.4 and you would need the flight 1 Ezdoc v2,  just check that this function was on v2. There are YouTube videos around which you can review.

bob

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

Check out Chaseplane.

Thanks. Do you have both? If so which do you think is the better product? One of my main requirements is to switch to an external view and be able to pan and tilt. Like when using GEX and watching the catering and loading vehicles.

I would also like to be able to switch internal VC views quickly using the NumPad similar to SimpleCam by AivlaSoft. Do these programs utilise the centre mouse wheel for moving around?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, onebob said:

Hi Ray, I'm using EzDoc v2.5 beta for P3D v4 and there is a function 'Walk around' which can be activated for each camera view, what that means is you can use the standard keyboard arrow keys to move up and down and from side to side. ( as well as the mouse scroll button )

I see you are still using p3d v3.4 and you would need the flight 1 Ezdoc v2,  just check that this function was on v2. There are YouTube videos around which you can review.

bob

Thanks Bob. Staying with 3.4 until FS Labs convert Concorde. That keyboard action sounds ideal.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

That keyboard action sounds ideal.

sorry just miss lead you a little ,the up and down keys moves in and out and the page up and down keys  moves up and down.

the right and left arrows are side to side.

bob

3 minutes ago, onebob said:

sorry just miss lead you a little ,the up and down keys moves in and out and the page up and down keys  moves up and down.

the right and left arrows are side to side.

bob

That's okay Bob. Sounds like the view position can be manipulated. Once I have the viewing position I want can I save it to a key or preferably a button on my yoke?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

15 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

That's okay Bob. Sounds like the view position can be manipulated. Once I have the viewing position I want can I save it to a key or preferably a button on my yoke?

You can select a joystick button or a key to any view,

some of the number pad keys are used but you could reassign them

don't forget this is ver 2.5 beta for P3D v4 just check that the same function are in v2,

wDX94LD.png

28 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Thanks. Do you have both? If so which do you think is the better product? One of my main requirements is to switch to an external view and be able to pan and tilt. Like when using GEX and watching the catering and loading vehicles.

I would also like to be able to switch internal VC views quickly using the NumPad similar to SimpleCam by AivlaSoft. Do these programs utilise the centre mouse wheel for moving around?

Yes Chaseplane allows u to use the center mouse button.  I made the switch from ezdok mainly because it was much easier for me to use.  U must have a internet connection at all times when using Chaseplane though.  I liked ezdok but I am not missing it it all.

Matt Wilson

2 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

Yes Chaseplane allows u to use the center mouse button

So does ezdok.

They both allow you to have multiple views programmed to buttons or allow you to cycle through a set of views. You can exclude certain views from that cycle (left and right views for instance). In any view you can grab the mouse and look around or have it set to only look around when you press the middle mouse button. You can also assign movement controls to a joystick device or game pad. I have them configured to both do the same things, I use buttons on the yoke to go have left/right views and then also to go from PIC view to overhead, aft overhead, or down to throttles or center console etc. They both have internal, external and world view categories. Chaseplane will pull down the latest beta everytime you start it if you want it to. As pointed out it also requires a live internet connection, it also allows you to store your settings in their cloud. Ezdok doesn't need permanent internet and you can save different profiles locally for different aircraft. Both of them autoswitch to the profile and camera positions you have set for each aircraft.

They are different approaches to the same functionality. You will potentially get lots of very passionate 'fans' of either criticizing the other solution but the reality is that it's a hard one to call as they both are very similar.

I have both and right now I think chaseplane is good but ezdok is my everyday camera tool. I just find it easier and slicker although I often switch between them to see how they each develop and my opinion can change from month to month!

Chris

50 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Hi Ray,

I faced the same problem when I upgraded from a Saitek Yoke to a PFC Yoke 6 months ago. I started using Chaseplane and its fabulous. I wouldn't go back to ezdoc after the change. I also purchased an xbox one PC controller and use that for all my views. 

6 months down the road I am very satisfied with my choices. I don't miss the saitek yoke at all.

Pete

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

ezDok user here and it will do what you need with aplomb. The CPU usage is also silly minimal.. way less than Chaseplane, so if you're chasing every bit of performance from your machine to sim (aren't we all?!) then i'd say you won't be disappointed. It's also stupidly customisable should you want to get into the nitty gritty of it all, though the new front end is a cinch to setup and use.

Gents,

Thank you all for your posts. I've spent the last hour or so watching 3 YouTube videos on chaseplane and all 3 were very enthusiastic about it. That includes Frooglesim and Matt Davies who both have EzDok but liked chaseplane a lot.

Requiring permanent internet access isn't a problem. AS16 runs on my P3D computer already.

I did notice on Matt Davies' video the fps and stuttering was quite bad. Wasn't sure if that was down to the PMDG747 or making a video or chaseplane. Or perhaps a bit of each. Given chaseplane can assign itself to the ideal CPU core it should mean the impact on P3D is minimal. Do any of you notice a fps hit using it?

Having never owned EzDok I have no opinion on it either way. But I am impressed with chaseplane especially its intuitive interface. Froogle thought that was one of its strengths.

Pete, you have reassured me that losing the POV won't be a problem, thanks.

Interesting that it's still in beta. I'm on FSFX's chaseplane page now. There's an option to download the beta. No mention of a price. Do I just click to download?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I've just read the topic about permanent internet connection. On reflection this could prove a problem when I take my PC to monthly flight sim meetings where there is no internet access. I appreciate the company need to protect against piracy but the balance seems too much in their favour without considering the customer.

Suppose the internet goes down in my area. I can't switch views in my aircraft? Sorry, that's too controlling. And I see it's still in beta and available for purchase. Will the price rise once a full release is ready? I've never paid for beta software before.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The only function you will not have is the mouse scroll wheel 'zoom in/out' , the function is used in Ezdoc but only in edit/camera  set up mode.

not seen a way to redefine this , may some one could confirm this.

bob