Sign in to follow this  
phoenixfly

P3dv4 from V2 update question.

I have not been on in a couple of years. So any input will help. I have P3DV2(runs well) and I am on a ASUS republic of gaming...   INTEL CORE i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40 ghz  2.40 ghz  16gb memory  64 bit operating system x64 based processer.

My question is if I upgrade to P3DV4 will it run the same as the V2 or will there be degredation on my system that works well already? I do not want to upgrade to stronger LAPtop if I have too. Also is there a discount on price if I were to upgrade to V4, since I already have V2?

P3D V2 and V4 are two completely different products , not an upgrade , also no discount . Visit their site for the minimum requirements .

John

How are v2 and v4 that much different? I asked a very straightforward question. I gave my specs and just asked if there is a performance difference between v2 and v4 if I stay with the same laptop?.......

15 minutes ago, phoenixfly said:

How are v2 and v4 that much different?

No OOM's.

5 minutes ago, bills511 said:

If I'm not mistaken you can try v4 for 90 days and get refund if not satisfied.

It's 60 days, not 90.  And no upgrade discount...each major version is considered a separate product by LM.

For the OP, P3Dv4 is a true 64-bit rewrite of the sim, so the 4GB barrier is gone.  A 2.4 GHz laptop is going to be a real stretch, performance wise, and v4 also leverages a modern GPU much differently (better) than V2 did...no mention in your post on your GPU.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Simply put, ROG or not, 2.4Ghz is not enough to run P3Dv4. Maybe if you plan to run the default scenery without using any of the new goodies that LM have added in to P3Dv4. By goodies, I mean the increased draw distance of autogen buildings,and  trees, cloud shadows, reflections, etc. The settings in v2 do not translate directly over to v4. Meaning, a setting of very dense in v2 will approximately equate to a setting of normal in v4. Your best bet is to try it out for the 60 days, see for yourself.

Ageee with the two above - that laptop was probably fine for FSX but P3D v4 can really crush high end Pc's (with the right sliders)

but perhaps try the demo

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Besides my desktop I also have a laptop : MSI with a i7 4700MQ @ 2.4 GHz, 16 GB, GTX765. Running v4 with ORBX global/LC/vectors and PMDG aircrafts

If I put most of the sliders somewhere mid position, I get about 20 fps. Not much, but still smooth so that is ok for me. It all depends what you want ...

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof