Sign in to follow this  
Terblanche

PMDG and Dynamic Lights

I know many others have requested this as well, but may I add my voice to a kind request ...

Will you please, PLEASE, consider flight models for the B738, B777, and B744 where the landing and taxi lights work WITHOUT having to turn Dynamic Lights on in P3D4? Then those with NASA super computers and 4K monitors can have all the joy of landing lights + dynamic lights, and the rest of us with only i7 4GHz 32GB RAM and 1070GTX 8GB video cards can also have the joy of landing and taxi lights that work. :wink:

It will really, REALLY be appreciated ... because I doubt if LM will come up with a fix or an alternative solution to this nonsensical FPS glutton!

Hopeful for a positive response.

• Upvote 3

Terblanche Jordaan

They already said no. Actually, LM have apparently been hard at work improving dynamic lighting performance, I believe it is coming in either hotfix 2 or 4.1, which is right around the corner I might add. In the meantime, using MSAA instead of SSAA should help a lot.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Milton Waddams said:

In the meantime, using MSAA instead of SSAA should help a lot

Glad to hear that LM is working on an improvement ... the moment I switch back to MSAA the shimmering is unbearable. During the day my settings are on 4xSSAA and almost all sliders VERY HIGH or MAX and with FPS locked at 30 almost all aircraft maintain 29/30FMS all the way with a slight drop at heavy 3rd party airports - but switch those DL on and glug glug glug there goes the FPS and with it performance. But, as they say in the movies, "LET'S SEE" what LM will come up with.

======

Edited: The thing is that those with 4K monitors have almost no shimmering with MSAA and therefore easy to turn down, but for our pure mortals with standard monitors, the p...ri_s|/e is just too high.

Terblanche Jordaan

1 hour ago, Terblanche said:

Glad to hear that LM is working on an improvement ... the moment I switch back to MSAA the shimmering is unbearable. During the day my settings are on 4xSSAA and almost all sliders VERY HIGH or MAX and with FPS locked at 30 almost all aircraft maintain 29/30FMS all the way with a slight drop at heavy 3rd party airports - but switch those DL on and glug glug glug there goes the FPS and with it performance. But, as they say in the movies, "LET'S SEE" what LM will come up with.

======

Edited: The thing is that those with 4K monitors have almost no shimmering with MSAA and therefore easy to turn down, but for our pure mortals with standard monitors, the p...ri_s|/e is just too high.

I see where you are coming from. I'm running a 1440p monitor and would love to use SSAA but, as you said, the FPS hit is unbearable at this time. 4.1 should, hopefully, fix that.

2 hours ago, Terblanche said:

my settings are on 4xSSAA and almost all sliders VERY HIGH or MAX

It's called a compromise. You had to make them in FS9, FSX and P3D v3 because of VAS. You still have to make compromises. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PMDG777 said:

It's called a compromise. You had to make them in FS9, FSX and P3D v3 because of VAS. You still have to make compromises. 

His point is that he doesn't have to make compromises when dynamic lighting is not needed as much, like in the daytime.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Milton Waddams said:

His point is that he doesn't have to make compromises when dynamic lighting is not needed as much, like in the daytime.

In FSX you didn't have to compromise with VAS when you were flying out over oceans or deserts. Soon as you get near a heavy addon airport, a OOM was probable. 

Just now, PMDG777 said:

In FSX you didn't have to compromise with VAS when you were flying out over oceans or deserts. Soon as you get near a heavy addon airport, a OOM was probable. 

VAS wasn't a bug that could would cause FPS to drop by 15, though. It's Lockheed's job to improve performance, not ours to drop settings when they already yield good performance. He already has the FPS locked at 30, he has no reason to turn down settings except for dynamic lighting, which is Lockheed's job to improve upon.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Milton Waddams said:

VAS wasn't a bug that could would cause FPS to drop by 15, though. It's Lockheed's job to improve performance, not ours to drop settings when they already yield good performance. He already has the FPS locked at 30, he has no reason to turn down settings except for dynamic lighting, which is Lockheed's job to improve upon.

Exactly, and until they do improve it, it's not PMDGs job to disable features, so a compromise until an update is released has to be made.

Just now, PMDG777 said:

Exactly, and until they do improve it, it's not PMDGs job to disable features, so a compromise until an update is released has to be made.

I agree, I wasn't advocating for PMDG to do so as they have already said that they will not.

• Upvote 1

There is no fps hit with dynamic lighting for me because I don't try to run scenery for v3 in v4. Its really simple!

Aidan Hutchison

18 minutes ago, achutchison said:

There is no fps hit with dynamic lighting for me because I don't try to run scenery for v3 in v4. Its really simple!

This has nothing to do with sceneries for v3 and/or v4. It has something to do with the fact that using Dynamic Lights in combination with SSAA (which some people still apparently are doing?!) is an absolute FPS and performance killer! I happens with v4 sceneries (FlightBeam KMSP for instance) too.

But as suggested, just run with MSAA and you'll be fine. 

Besides - this has been discussed/pointed at/whined about for quite a while, now... PMDG is not going to change it, for reasons already stated.
This whole debate reminds me of the endless screaming of the AA Cloud performance 'issue' which plauged Prepar3D 2.X... It was improved by LM in time. So will Dynamic Lights and until that happens, just run with MSAA - and if that's unbearable/impossible for you, then just avoid flying at night... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Sjoewheeeee ... and I can't leave you children alone for a couple of hours and you break down the house :laugh::rolleyes:

My request was only that PMDG (seeing that their aircraft are the ONLY aircraft where you need to have DL on for landing and taxi lights to work) to work on a model where everything works regardless of DL or not. Imagine you had to turn BLOOM on in FSX in order for landing lights to work?

But I get it, they won't. No need for any discussion on that anymore.

P3D4 is the future forward although I'm still very happy with having my FSX as well seeing that I have almost 300 payware sceneries that will take decades if not centuries for P3D to catch up to have the same library of detailed airports. Flying to default airports, is like going back to Walt Disney Cartoons when you are used to Pixar Animated movies. And my FSX is running as smooth as a baby's cheeks with no OOMs for years if you just follow a few rules.

RE LM: What I don't get is the new addon.xml scenery method that was no pressing issue to change ... it would have been no problem to have a separate scenery folder outside P3D4 but let the scenery.cfg file be the umbilical cord with the engine. Now we have scenery files all over the place and more then one scenery.cfg file just like the silly idea to have dll.xml and exe.xml files in two different folders. But that's way off topic.

It would have been much more appreciated if LM at least worked on the coastline errors because believe it or not, they are the same errors since FS9 .

Terblanche Jordaan

In the spirit of technological inquiry, I have placed a PMDG 777 at the end of rwy 28R at the default KSFO at night with the engines running with the landing lights on. When MSAA is set to zero, there is shimmering of the runway lights, but once I set it to 2x, the shimmering stops. Could someone please point me to an example of significant shimmering under MSAA at a default airport (I never purchased payware because of the hit to VAS in previous versions of P3D) at night with the lights on?

My system includes an i7-7700K (OC to 4.6 GHz), and a GTX970, so it's a recent build with good graphics, but not top of the line. I use a moderately priced 24 inch 1080 monitor. It would be interesting to see an example of serious shimmering so that I could explore the problem.

With thanks,

John

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

2 minutes ago, jrw4 said:

In the spirit of technological inquiry, I have placed a PMDG 777 at the end of rwy 28R at the default KSFO at night with the engines running with the landing lights on. When MSAA is set to zero, there is shimmering of the runway lights, but once I set it to 2x, the shimmering stops. Could someone please point me to an example of significant shimmering under MSAA at a default airport (I never purchased payware because of the hit to VAS in previous versions of P3D) at night with the lights on?

My system includes an i7-7700K (OC to 4.6 GHz), and a GTX970, so it's a recent build with good graphics, but not top of the line. I use a moderately priced 24 inch 1080 monitor. It would be interesting to see an example of serious shimmering so that I could explore the problem.

With thanks,

John

Shimmering, correct me if I'm wrong, mainly occurs in the daytime when light is hitting objects. Try MSAA turned off looking at the terminals at SFO at midday and you should see some serious shimmering.