Sign in to follow this  
Terblanche

PMDG and Dynamic Lights

Thanks. That was very interesting. It wasn't so much the terminals as it was the runway markings turning into a "crawling ants" show that would drive me crazy at 0xMSAA. Turning up the AA to 4xMSAA pretty much turns stops that problem. I get roughly the same impact with 4xSSAA.

In the simplest case, a workaround would involve using SSAA during the day and MSAA at night. Turning on the landing lights during the day seems (on my system at least) to impact FPS only minimally with SSAA, but that may not be true in all cases. Perhaps there are other examples that someone might point out of serious shimming at night for which this wouldn't be an answer.

J

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

I still think this only run MSAA is a myth,

I get a big drop running msaa x4 on the 980ti 

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Alex,

Was that at a default airport?

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

1 minute ago, jrw4 said:

Alex,

Was that at a default airport?

Varies between freeware/payware doesnt make a difference

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

5 hours ago, jrw4 said:

It would be interesting to see an example of serious shimmering so that I could explore the problem.

During the day, and DL turned off, my settings are 4xSSAA and there is hardly any shimmering. As we all know, DL and SSAA are not friends at all. When you want to fly at night and have taxi and landing lights, then you need DL and for that to happen you need to downscale to MSAA but then everything is nauseously flickering, glittering, shimmering all the way EXCEPT if you have a 4K monitor then the guys reported that there are no shimmering when going down to MSAA. I'll try and take a screenshot tonight to illustrate what I mean.

Terblanche Jordaan

That would be excellent. It seems that (as has largely been the case with FSX in the past) these problems don't always show up on everyone's system. It would be good to have a clear demonstration that interested parties could try to reproduce.

Thanks so much. 

One thing I have to add is the fact that I use DSR 2.00x in Nvidia Control Panel and that greatly reduces shimmering as well.

For FSX my Nvidia Inspector settings have eliminated ALL shimmering and there is none whatsoever.

Terblanche Jordaan

5 hours ago, Terblanche said:

One thing I have to add is the fact that I use DSR 2.00x in Nvidia Control Panel and that greatly reduces shimmering as well.

For FSX my Nvidia Inspector settings have eliminated ALL shimmering and there is none whatsoever.

Yeah I’m not going to lie no wonder you cannot run DL. DSR and SSAA?! That’s insane. 

I do hope you realise that dynamic lights are probably not going to be optimised enough for those settings to ever give good performance. 

• Upvote 1

One hint:

HDR on causes also shimmering with 8xMSAA (in my system)

8xMSAA without HDR ist a good compromise here.

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 8/8/2017 at 10:33 PM, jrw4 said:

It would be good to have a clear demonstration that interested parties could try to reproduce.

I've now tried to upload a picture for the last hour in ALL different formats but AVSIM does not like this and doesn't like that ... and the webpage I've used before, now wants $20 to upload pictures. I don't understand why it is soooooooo difficult to just upload a picture directly but anyway - no photo, sorry.

On 8/9/2017 at 4:19 AM, PMDG777 said:

Yeah I’m not going to lie no wonder you cannot run DL. DSR and SSAA?! That’s insane.

Okay, I'll switch it off and as they say in the movies, "Let's see" ... because, as I said, everything runs flat out on my rig with 4xSSAA without DL and then it is only DL + HDR that will hit the FPS down the basement. Without HDR, even 8xMSAA becomes a joke with shimmering. But I'll give it one more try.

Terblanche Jordaan

On 8/8/2017 at 0:32 PM, aceridgey said:

I still think this only run MSAA is a myth,

I get a big drop running msaa x4 on the 980ti 

Pretty much same thing here on 980ti

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

Okay, I've just ran this scenario -

PMDG B738 at LOWI (ORBX) - DSR OFF

• DAY / DL OFF / 4xSSAA / FPS locked at 30 = 24/26 FPS
  • NIGHT / DL ON / 8xMSAA / FPS locked at 30 = 18/20 FPS
  • The moment I switch the landing and taxi lights on = -10 with 8/10 FPS
  • But PMDG is the ONLY aircraft in my library where you need DL to have landing lights ... what a complete joke!

Second scenario -

PMDG B738 at LOWI (ORBX) - DSR ON

• DAY / DL OFF / 4xSSAA / FPS locked at 30 = 25/29 FPS
  • NIGHT / DL ON / 8xMSAA / FPS locked at 30 = 18/20 FPS
  • The moment you swich L&T lights on = BANG!! below 10FPS [read hysterical laughter!!]
  • The only difference I really notice is LESS shimmering ... my FPS stays more or less the same.
  • What really, really impacts the FPS with DL on is (still) the PMDG landing and taxi lights - with or without MSAA

And so we are back to the very first post on this thread ......

Terblanche Jordaan

I have switched to 4K yesterday and reduced my AA settings to 2xMSAA (even tried 0ff) and DL is still killing my performance. (Was the same when I was on 1080p btw)
As soon as I switch the lights on on the NGX my frames drop from steady 30 (locked) to below 20.

Let's hope for a fix by LM, otherwise 4K is absolutely stunning. Never had a crisp NGX cockpit like this before.

Regards
Onur Kacan

1 hour ago, onurair said:

Let's hope for a fix by LM, otherwise 4K is absolutely stunning. Never had a crisp NGX cockpit like this before.

4K monitors/TVs are ridiculously expensive in South Africa  :wacko::sad:

Terblanche Jordaan

Unless the ORBX website is out of date, their LOWI scenery is not P3D v4 compatible. Is that correct?

I tried a similar experiment at default LOWI and there was no discernible impact on frame rate locked at 30 fps at night using 4xMSAA and no observable shimmering either.

Has ORBX announced a schedule for updating their airports? Does DL impact FPS at fields that have been certified as V4 compatible?