Sign in to follow this  
Terblanche

PMDG and Dynamic Lights

10 minutes ago, jrw4 said:

Unless the ORBX website is out of date, their LOWI scenery is not P3D v4 compatible. Is that correct?

Jip, they have an open beta for ObjectFlow and when you install it, you can download all your ORBX airports including their LOWI P3D4 version.

1. Log in to your OrbxDirect account.
2. Go to the Fastlane page: https://orbxdirect.com/account/fastlane
3. Click "opt-in to Fastlane"
4. Start FTX Central. You will be prompted to update to FTX Central version 3.2.2.
5. You should now see all of your airports for Prepar3D v4 in FTX Central.
When starting the simulator, click "yes" when it asks if you want to run ObjectFlow 2

• Upvote 1

Terblanche Jordaan

Thanks for heads-up, regarding this.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

On 09/08/2017 at 3:32 AM, aceridgey said:

I still think this only run MSAA is a myth,

I get a big drop running msaa x4 on the 980ti 

I agree it's a myth. I run MSAA X2 or x4 and DL kills my moderate system. I love night flying but need to turn off DL when flying the 737ngx and land without landing lights. It's really annoying and I agree with OP that pmdg making landing lights work only with DL turn on is absolutely ridiculous, considering other aircraft don't need this combination. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, branks737 said:

I agree it's a myth. I run MSAA X2 or x4 and DL kills my moderate system. I love night flying but need to turn off DL when flying the 737ngx and land without landing lights. It's really annoying and I agree with OP that pmdg making landing lights work only with DL turn on is absolutely ridiculous, considering other aircraft don't need this combination. 

"AMEN!" to that Branko! As I said before, imagine PMDG aircraft in FSX would only work with BLOOM switched on ...? Why then the only aircraft in P3D4 with this precondition? We just have to accept it because lamentable they will not change their models. I'm not sure LM will change their code in order to accommodate PMDG aircraft. :uwe_melk:

• Upvote 1

Terblanche Jordaan

54 minutes ago, Terblanche said:

"AMEN!" to that Branko! As I said before, imagine PMDG aircraft in FSX would only work with BLOOM switched on ...? Why then the only aircraft in P3D4 with this precondition? We just have to accept it because lamentable they will not change their models. I'm not sure LM will change their code in order to accommodate PMDG aircraft. :uwe_melk:

I hear you Treblanche, I'm hoping that LM and PMDG can at least optimize the DL function in the near future!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Terblanche said:

I'm not sure LM will change their code in order to accommodate PMDG aircraft. 

LM needs to optimise their code. Nothing to do with them accommodating PMDG.

• Upvote 2

On 8/8/2017 at 6:05 AM, Terblanche said:

I know many others have requested this as well, but may I add my voice to a kind request ...

Will you please, PLEASE, consider flight models for the B738, B777, and B744 where the landing and taxi lights work WITHOUT having to turn Dynamic Lights on in P3D4? Then those with NASA super computers and 4K monitors can have all the joy of landing lights + dynamic lights, and the rest of us with only i7 4GHz 32GB RAM and 1070GTX 8GB video cards can also have the joy of landing and taxi lights that work. :wink:

It will really, REALLY be appreciated ... because I doubt if LM will come up with a fix or an alternative solution to this nonsensical FPS glutton!

Hopeful for a positive response.

If you don't want dynamic lighting then why switch to p3dv4 in the first place, apart from the 64bit? Eventually most add-ons for V4 will be dynamic lighting only.

Though, looking at your setup, it should run dynamic lighting just fine. I have lower specs and I have no problem with it.

Which set of lights on the aircraft is most associated with the Dynamic Lights issue?

Is it the outboard lights, or the inboard lights?  Or all lights including the strobe and taxi?

I think I'm going to need to add an option to not have the FS2Crew 747 FO control the lights until Lockheed Martin releases a fix.

6 hours ago, CAG2 said:

If you don't want dynamic lighting then why switch to p3dv4 in the first place, apart from the 64bit?

I most definitely didn't switch to P3D4 for dynamic lights ... it was for a smoother, more reliable platform of which the shadows are a bonus. The lights worked just fine in FSX and there was no pressing issue to change that - and BTW the runway and approach lights in FSX are by far more realistic than in P3D4. For the same perplexity I have regarding the addon.xml files and scenery files all over the place if there was no need to change that as well. Don't know where P3D is heading with this, but as they say in the movies, "Let's see"

6 hours ago, byork said:

Is it the outboard lights, or the inboard lights?  Or all lights including the strobe and taxi?

Only inboard, outboard, and taxi lights. The rest has no impact ... and why is it that only the PMDG aircraft have this phenomenon and no other aircraft when you switch landing lights on?

PS: After being spoiled in FSX having almost 300 payware airports, going back to default airports is like comparing the animation in Ratatouille with Tom&Jerry and what should we as customers do when a distributor / designer says "it is P3D4 compatible" and then you read on forums that some scenery were not done with P3D4 SDK ... how should we know except when you pay dollars for an airport and then it stutters under Dynamic Lights?

<sigh>

Terblanche Jordaan

6 hours ago, CAG2 said:

If you don't want dynamic lighting then why switch to p3dv4 in the first place, apart from the 64bit? Eventually most add-ons for V4 will be dynamic lighting only.

Though, looking at your setup, it should run dynamic lighting just fine. I have lower specs and I have no problem with it.

I don't think most switched to P3Dv4 just for dynamic lights, that's a pretty bold statement. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Terblanche said:

why is it that only the PMDG aircraft have this phenomenon and no other aircraft when you switch landing lights on?

Because not every aircraft in P3Dv4 has dynamic lights and those that do are probably nowhere near as complex.

I think we've all got your point on this one by now, you want them to go back. The fact of the matter is their not going to. Wait and see what LM are going to do next since they are rumoured to be working hard on optimising DL performance.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, PMDG777 said:

Wait and see what LM are going to do next since they are rumoured to be working hard on optimising DL performance.

I'll wait ... silently, patiently, enduringly, and above all, submissively ... :males:

Terblanche Jordaan

9 minutes ago, Terblanche said:

I'll wait ... silently, patiently, enduringly, and above all, submissively ... :males:

Don't worry, I too am hoping that these are just new sim bugs that LM can fix.

It'll come with time then you can light them up like a Christmas tree.

Just to jump in this thread with something that maybe related, but are you finding when you adjust the MCP brightness with the knob on the overhead you get a big fps drop while doing it then all goes back to normal. I've noticed this recently but have just installed Orbx Open LC Europe and USA so not sure if it's the scenery causing it.

8 minutes ago, Tony747-400 said:

Just to jump in this thread with something that maybe related, but are you finding when you adjust the MCP brightness with the knob on the overhead you get a big fps drop while doing it then all goes back to normal. I've noticed this recently but have just installed Orbx Open LC Europe and USA so not sure if it's the scenery causing it.

I've always gotten a major FPS drop while adjusting flood lights brightness. Soon as I stop turning the knob, FPS returns to normal. I don't think a fix was ever found for this.

This problem isn't dynamic lights related as the PMDG internal lights are not dynamic lights, they are the same as in previous sims. Only external lights are dynamic.