Sign in to follow this  
Boeing or not going

Autogen disappearing... caused by unlimited frames?

A point often overlooked is that a human can see the difference between 110 and 120Hz, but a slightly inconsistent time between those cannot be ascertained. However if we drop down to 20Hz the human can determine a slightly inconsistent time between each. If we choose slower fps we have to concentrate on improving the consistency. The frame lock works best for fps below 30.

When we use Unlimited, VSync=On, we don't actually get frames limited to the monitor refresh frequency, rather the GPU output is 'steered' toward achieving that common time period between frames ascertained from the monitor refresh value. If the system has a high availability or throughput available it can destabilise the apparent smoothness of the sim. Strangely, a system set up to flat-line in some aspect can often appear smoother than a system set up better for full-on throughput - these would better suit locked fps setting.

• Like 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

2 hours ago, Nyxx said:

You sure Vic?

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION (default is 0.33 or 30% of the frame time).
MIN_FIBER_TIME_SEC (Default is 0.001 or 1ms)
MAX_FIBER_TIME_SEC (Default is 0.1 or 100ms)

Yup. Those are three separate settings, each with it's own range. FFTF is 0.1-.99.

FFTF is a percentage, the other two are time fractions. Not the same.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hello, I've got some problem:

in my Settings i have unlocked FPS because when i locked FPS in P3D to 30 the peformance is bad. If I unlocked the FPS the peformance is very smooth. VSync is on.

The Problem is the autogen does not load during the approach while I unlocked the FPS.

So how can I get smooth peformance and full loading autogen ?

Hmmm, Vsync, fast sync, FFTF, Affinity mask, unlimited, locked at 30, locked at 25, locked at 20, 30Hz or 60Hz... word not allowed! 😢 Sorry guys, I'm soooo, disappointed, just when I thought 4.4 was giving me (us all) the perfect sim, I am now seeing disappearing autogen on every flight in the NGX. 😣  This is something I never experienced in 4.3.  I have done a day's testing today with every conceivable setting, but still can't get rid of this issue. All Orbx regions disabled, running medium settings, with lowest scenery resolution 256(?), unlimited and locked frames, AM on and off, FFTF=0.01 FFTF=0.33, all frame hungry aspects in the control panel unticked. This thread is from August 2017 and I'm posting in December 2018, and STILL no resolution to this issue! 😔 

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I found I had to do a full install of 4.4 to really see what it brings. 

A two night job, cleaning everything out and reinstalled everything from scratch.

The very first flight I did LEMG to LEIB, I truly sad out load offensive initials not allowed, I’ve never seen the sim look like this. LEIB looked nothing like I had seen before. 

I truly think no matter how careful anyone is after time it just needs a clean out and an reinstall to get the very best out of it.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW all my scenery is active with no problems before with client etc updates I was getting short pauses when close to landing just one of the many little clues to it not being right.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I had a super smooth take-off from Santa Barbara ORBX and only had 24 FPS.  I figure my system is running optimally.

Regards
bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

On 8/8/2017 at 10:38 AM, Nyxx said:

Correct,

You can try 0.01

I use 0.10

With no FFTF your setting is 0.33, what that means is 1/3 of every second is allocated to loading textures. A FPS hit, adding in a FFTF sorts that problem out.

But you get the better texture loading as you PC is not trying to give you 30-40-80 fps all the time.

I use 0.2, as I've noticed a rhythmic stutter every second when using 0.15 down to 0.1. (I lock my FPS at 30, vsync and TB on)

But everyone's experience will be different. 

Certainly for me, unlimited yields greater fps but ever decreasing autogen loading.

With FFTF at 0.2, I lose maybe 7 fps on average in heavy areas, such as Heathrow but it quickly recovers to 30 fps when clearing London area.

In the FSLabs A320 at UK2000 EGLL, runway 09R, UTLive at 50% airliners and 0% General aviation, I see FPS of 22-24 but it is pretty smooth.

I have FTX Global, Vector, EU LC also.

Stu

Stu

Edited by Bunchy
spelling
  • Like 1

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

9 hours ago, Nyxx said:

I found I had to do a full install of 4.4 to really see what it brings. 

A two night job, cleaning everything out and reinstalled everything from scratch.

The very first flight I did LEMG to LEIB, I truly sad out load offensive initials not allowed, I’ve never seen the sim look like this. LEIB looked nothing like I had seen before. 

I truly think no matter how careful anyone is after time it just needs a clean out and an reinstall to get the very best out of it.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW all my scenery is active with no problems before with client etc updates I was getting short pauses when close to landing just one of the many little clues to it not being right.

Hi Dave, sure, I have been putting off a full reinstall, but I think it is on the cards 😐

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

As Stu says: going too low on FFTF can produce stalling of the background process.

Allowing too high an fps when in dense areas will also overwhelm the sim. Control fps with VSync and the monitor refresh rate setting and/or an external limiter.

Adjust the settings and check in task manager graphs that no CPUs are at or near 100% 90% is enough. P3D requires overhead available in the system.

Edited by SteveW

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

2 hours ago, SteveW said:

As Stu says: going too low on FFTF can produce stalling of the background process.

Allowing too high an fps when in dense areas will also overwhelm the sim. Control fps with VSync and the monitor refresh rate setting and/or an external limiter.

Adjust the settings and check in task manager graphs that no CPUs are at or near 100% 90% is enough. P3D requires overhead available in the system.

Hi Steve, during my all day testing yesterday, I flew the same route with different parameters, none of the settings returned anything other than disappearing autogen on approach, including vanilla cfg, with of course FFTF=0.33

Howard

Howard, maybe you miss a small detail? In my case, disappearing autogen is almost completely eliminated even with a setting higher than "medium" for "autogen draw distance". But, what I use is not only the internal limiter, it includes also:

VSYNC on, triple buffering off inside P3D, locked FPS to 30.

An AM tweak in the config limiting P3D to all logical cores (for your CPU it would be "84").

BAT files forcing ActiveSky, REX Skyforce and ProATC/X to cores 5 and 6 only

Basically no "tweak" in the nVIDIA Control Panel. The only thing I have there not already in the general profile: prefer maximum performance.

Then, what SteveW is referring to: if I fly 2-3h with the AS Airbus from A to B, I usually have 30FPS until the destination with a complex airport comes in sight, there sometimes FPS drop below 30 (but rarely). If your FPS drop below the limit you set, all your overhead is gone and the rig runs at ist limits and you should lower your FPS Limit. Are you sure that you constantly have at least the FPS you limited P3D to?

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

4 hours ago, AnkH said:

Howard, maybe you miss a small detail? In my case, disappearing autogen is almost completely eliminated even with a setting higher than "medium" for "autogen draw distance". But, what I use is not only the internal limiter, it includes also:

VSYNC on, triple buffering off inside P3D, locked FPS to 30.

An AM tweak in the config limiting P3D to all logical cores (for your CPU it would be "84").

BAT files forcing ActiveSky, REX Skyforce and ProATC/X to cores 5 and 6 only

Basically no "tweak" in the nVIDIA Control Panel. The only thing I have there not already in the general profile: prefer maximum performance.

Then, what SteveW is referring to: if I fly 2-3h with the AS Airbus from A to B, I usually have 30FPS until the destination with a complex airport comes in sight, there sometimes FPS drop below 30 (but rarely). If your FPS drop below the limit you set, all your overhead is gone and the rig runs at ist limits and you should lower your FPS Limit. Are you sure that you constantly have at least the FPS you limited P3D to?

Thanks for the info Chris. I have all the things you suggested, except FFTF=0.33, maybe I should give that some more attention, along with trying locking frames to 25.

4 hours ago, DrumsArt said:

Thanks for the link Richard. I had seen this video before, but had forgotten all about it! I will follow advice and see how things turn out. Cheers.

Howard

12 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

Thanks for the info Chris. I have all the things you suggested, except FFTF=0.33, maybe I should give that some more attention, along with trying locking frames to 25.

Correct, I forgot this. I have manually added FFTF=0.33 to the config, even though it might not be needed when using locked FPS and as it is the default value.

BTW: I now also use FFTF Dynamic, as I was interested of the capabilities of this Little tool. So far no time for 2-3h flights, but I am curious if starting from a heavy airport with FFTF Dynamic Setting FFTF to "0.01" will have any adverse effect on autogen loading later on in the flight or not.

My only problem is: I have almost no time for flying these days...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I have been using Process Lasso for several months now and find it does the AM stuff brilliantly.

Can see any reason to go back to an AM setting in the CFG, just limit frames vsync to 1/2 refresh and getting smooth stutter free with my settings maxed out for my gaming laptop.

MSFS2020 ,P3D V5, Ryzen 3600 4.2GHZ, 32GB 3000 Ram, Nvidia GTX 1600 Super 6GB, 22 inch 75 hz Monitor , Windows 10 204, Toposim,   Orbx Global, Vector, Europe  N & S California LC, England Regions,  England, PMDG 737, 777, Majestic Q400 and Aerosoft Airbus A318-20.