Sign in to follow this  
jadt

Boeing Dreamliner Crew Draws Enormous Outline Of Their Plane In The Sky

Expensive picture.  But very impressive.

Nice!

That's a good one. Getting neater.

Previously they wrote 787 and drew the Boeing logo when doing the longest etops test ever. Google Boeing logo and flight radar to see them all. Writing max was pretty precise too.

Chris

That's pretty cool, although I hope they do a barrel roll in the thing too to round off the flight, in a Tex Johnson stylee. :cool:

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Woah. They draw a perfect plane by actually flying a plane and I can't even draw one as good as that on a piece of paper... :mellow:

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

I was curious, so I did a few calculations about this flight. All values are approximate:

Flight time was about 18 hours. 787 burns 2.5 tons of fuel/hour, so a total of 45 tons of fuel consumed. Jet fuel weighs 6.84lbs/gal at 60F, so that's 13,158 gallons of fuel. At a current price in the US of $1.588/gal, the fuel cost is $20,894. CO2 emissions from jet fuel are 21.5lbs/gal fuel which is 141.4 tons of CO2 emissions. 

That's enough math for today.

BBC website have just given it coverage:

A Boeing jet has drawn an outline of a plane by flying over America using GPS tracking.

During the stunt, the 787 Dreamliner will have travelled further than any commercial route in operation around the world.

When it lands in Seattle, it will have travelled 9,755 miles - compared to the 9,021-mile distance between Auckland and Doha.

It will have also been in the air longer than any current route.

The Boeing test flight will have been in the air for 17 hours and 45 minutes compared to 16 hours, 10 minutes between New Zealand to Qatar

God it'd be sooo tempting to alter the flight plan in the FMC so it wrote 'bollox' instead, or drew the shape of an A350 Airbus lol. :laugh:

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I'm not sure that the test parameters were for the flight, but generally I have to assume they needed to fly for approximately the same number of hours as it would take to draw the aircraft - so hey, if you have to be airborne... why not?  Plus any publicity is good publicity.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Flghtradar24 tweeted this:

When you have to test your new @RollsRoyce engine for 17 hours, you might as well have a bit of fun.

That's about as big a statement as you can make... and so good to see there are real people over at Boeing, not just faceless bean counters running "Programmes".

The world needs some more of this kind of stuff.

Clap clap clap!!! Genius!

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Thought this was pretty interesting and funny!

Over the course of 18 hours on August 2-3, Boeing test pilots took N7874 39,000 feet above the United States to perform ETOPS testing on the new Rolls Royce Trent 1000 TEN, which will power the 787-10. Not content to just fly around in circles, they made things a bit more interesting with a giant 787 in the sky.

It was not so much skywriting as it was skydoodling. http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/08/04/541595580/boeing-dreamliner-crew-draws-enormous-outline-of-their-plane-in-the-sky

To pass the time during a routine test flight, a team of Boeing pilots used their own flightpath to draw a giant outline of the very plane they were flying — a 787-8 Dreamliner. The picture they sketched stretched over 22 U.S. states and took 18 hours of flight time to complete.

"The nose is pointing at the Puget Sound region, home to Boeing Commercial Airplanes," the aircraft maker said in a statement.

"The wings stretch from northern Michigan near the Canadian border to southern Texas. The tail touches Huntsville, Alabama," it added.

There's no word on how flight controllers reacted to the rather unique flight path. But the folks at Flightradar24, a flight tracker website, took note when all but the trailing edge of the starboard wing was complete.

And they weren't the only ones to notice as #Dreamliner showed.

Back in February, a team test flying a Boeing 737 Max pulled a similar maneuver, writing the plane's moniker in the sky.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

2 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Thought this was pretty interesting and funny!

Devon,

I merged you post with this one since it was already being discussed and is easier to follow on topic.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator