Sign in to follow this  
Tom_L

[P3Dv4] Reverse and other anomalies

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 2:15 PM, Tom_L said:

Hi,

my problem is as follows: Starting the 737 in [short] panel state leads to the reverse levers being one notch up. After restoring them and starting the engines, the levers are again up and the throttles won't move. Sometimes i am not able to stow one or both levers, neither by F1 command (as long as I press F1 the lever is down, on release it returns into the one notch up position) nor by mouseclick.They always return to one notch up. I have installed the last update and since then even uninstalled and reinstalled the 737. I let P3D build a new prepar3d.cfg. I have deleted all key commands I could think of. No result. I am using FSUIPC (latest version) and LINDA, but the problems remains even when I have them disabled. On other occasions the thrust levers move but there is no change in thrust. And last but not least moving the start-levers to cutoff sometimes doesn't kill the engine. I should mention that I'm very familiar with the 737 from FSX-days but never encountered these effects.

Any ideas?

Regards

Tom

I have had similar problems, I think always engine #1 but not positive.  I am also having a fuel issue.  With 1/3 fuel, I run out of fuel after 5 or 6 minutes.  Fuel levels are not correct. 

1 hour ago, kuuipo said:

Fuel levels are not correct.

Mixture axis issue, usually, actually.

Kyle Rodgers

On 8.8.2017 at 8:23 PM, scandinavian13 said:

Hardware, LINDA, or FSUIPC - I nearly guarantee it.

I think I have found out the culprit. In FSUIPC there were two calibration settings for seperate reversers although I didn't set any reverse axis via FSUIPC (at least as far as I remember). I thought I had FSUIPC ruled out by disabling it, but somehow it must have influenced the behaviour of the aircraft nonetheless, maybe through the panelstate - as I do not have another explanation. Not a typical case of the DAU (dumbest assumable user) in my opinion, but a user issue nonetheless.

Thx to all contributors

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

How did you resolve this issue, exactly?  I am having the same problem.  And it just started.  Came out of nowhere.  I don't think I made any adjustments in either FSUIPC, or P3dV4.

Thanks!

I am having similar problems with engine 2. When I advance the throttles engine 1 spools up but engine 2 doesn't. Tried the keyboard - F4 to discount anything in FSUIPC.

That didn't work either. I loaded the default NGX panel. Still no joy. I know people point the finger at FSUIPC but this is definitely not to do with that. Otherwise why would the keyboard not work?

Stuck on the taxiway unable to go anywhere with only 1 engine working. And when I advance the right throttle a warning is sounded suggesting the aircraft knows the throttle is being advanced.

That was the 800 winglets model and from a C&D panel load. If I exit P3D and restart with the Cub then load the 800 winglet it starts with the engines running and my throttles are fine - both of them.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

12 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I know people point the finger at FSUIPC but this is definitely not to do with that. Otherwise why would the keyboard not work?

Because the profile will override everything, if you have set it up improperly.

Bluntly, one really shouldn't discount it when people offer troubleshooting help, and offer up something like this. There's a reason people point in its direction. In the hands of a skilled user, FSUIPC will behave. If not, you'll see issues like you're having.

So far, I don't recall seeing that you have ever tried temporarily relocating the .ini file. This will rule quite a lot out, while also allowing you to put the file back so you don't lose your other work.

Again - the program is great, but when it gets in the way, it can cause a world of hurt. More often than not, it's allowed to get in the way.

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle, I know you're trying to help. If I told you I've just managed to start both engines and they both respond to the throttle levers being moved I hope you will accept that there's nothing wrong with my fsuipc5.ini. It's probably my inexperience in knowing the correct procedures to start the engines. The switches on overhead for bleed have to be in the correct setting for the engines to fire up.

Now that I have them running I'm going to go through the start-up sequence so I have it clear how it should be done.

I notice the Introduction manual states on P33/34... "...in extremely rare circumstances user would need to delete their fsuipc.ini file."

That seems to be the exception rather than the rule. It looks in this case it is user error / inexperience rather than a bad fsuipc5.ini.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Kyle, I know you're trying to help. If I told you I've just managed to start both engines and they both respond to the throttle levers being moved I hope you will accept that there's nothing wrong with my fsuipc5.ini. It's probably my inexperience in knowing the correct procedures to start the engines. The switches on overhead for bleed have to be in the correct setting for the engines to fire up.

This seems to be a bit different than the earlier post. The earlier post, referencing engine spooling when you advance the lever, seems to indicate that an otherwise functional engine was not properly adjusting the throttle setting on your hardware. In this post, you seem to be referring to starting the engine. In this latter case, the lever should be at idle, and the lever really has no bearing/role in the engine start (as it would, perhaps, in an old piston engine, or similar).

You are correct about the bleeds.

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

That seems to be the exception rather than the rule. It looks in this case it is user error / inexperience rather than a bad fsuipc5.ini.

Correct - this is what I keep alluding to: FSUIPC is a wonderful program in the sense that it can do all kinds of things. The problem is that when you give someone that amount of power, and they don't understand the concepts of what they're actually doing, it can get ugly, quickly.

For example: many processors are "locked" in a way that doesn't easily allow you to overclock them. Some processors (like the -K series Intel chips) are "unlocked" for overclocking by the end user. A bad overclock can introduce all kinds of system instability, but given the cost of computers, and the investment into building one of your own, I think people are a bit more aware of the concept of "do this, carefully."

FSUIPC is fundamentally free, and there's no obvious sign here or there, much less an obvious cost-based-risk for people to shy away from, so they take this extremely powerful tool, install it, mess around with it, and never truly understand why the sim is misbehaving.

I'll put it in a different way:

FSUIPC is a program that can take fundamentally "dumb" hardware (i.e. hardware just sends position-, and off/on-type data - nothing truly complex), and translate the data into FlightSimSpeak for the sim to understand. It also has the potential to translate all of that data essentially into Danish, which the sim won't be able to understand at all (nor can anyone else :tongue:). Properly configured, it'll speak FlightSimSpeak with the sim, which our products will then be able to interpret nicely. If not, and it's altering data streams that we depend on, then problems pop up. Instead of attempting to give a master class on how to make a product we didn't make behave, we often ask people to remove/delete the ini file in an effort to eliminate/isolate the cause. More often than not, when we suggest this, the cause is an improperly-configured config file. While I'd argue that the problem cascades back to FSUIPC not properly warning people about the risk about the amount of power/influence that it gives the user, the problem is rarely an issue with FSUIPC itself as much as the end user not fully understanding how to properly set it up.

• Like 1

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle,

Thanks for your post. Yesterday I had both engines running but advancing the right throttle would just not get any power out of the right engine. Even the virtual throttle shown in the VC moved proving there was a link working via FSUIPC.

Today, I went through the startup procedure again but I had to create a close-up view of the packs gauge as there are two indicators for left and right but they’re so small you can’t make out L and R on them. Once I did that it helped to ensure power was going to the right pack. And that’s on a UHD monitor.

A basic FSUIPC is free but the real power comes from the purchased version that allows you to assign physical controls and calibrate them. I have a lot of experience using it so was certain the problem didn’t lie with either it or my use of it.

I’ve just completed a flight from LFML to LEMD and everything was fine bar the pressurisation misbehaving but I suspect that’s because I didn’t have the pack switches set correctly.

Onwards and upwards. 🙂

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Spelling

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray,

I think you have set up the 737 in FSUIPC as a specific profil, right? 

can you please make sure in FSUIPC that when you did that you have NOT used the general settings, when you were asked to in the beginning and have NOT made your profile from another profil to save time? I‘ve learnt it the hard way that „saving time“ in FSUIPC means you do it twice. 

And also please check that you haven‘t assigned the axes you want to use with the 737 in FSUIPC in a „general“ profile. Only when „aircraft specific“ is checked. Just try them out in the axis section and if set click on clear. The throttle(s) is such a basic setting that one easily forgets to disable them globally. 

Edited by Ephedrin

Hi Marc,

In my PMDG737 profle in FSUIPC5 I have Spoilers, Throttle1, Throttle2, Aileron, Elevator, Left Brake, Right Brake and Rudder.

All but Throttle1 and Throttle 2 are listed in the General Axes section too. That config does not appear to be causing any issues. I do intend to remove all these settings in the Global section and keep them discrete to aircraft.

I'm using the excellent checklist supplied by Carsten Rau and do have a couple of questions regarding bleed and pack switch settings on engine start. I'll raise that in a separate topic.

One question on the Wx Radar. Are any special settings required to get rain to show on the ND? I'm flying over northern Spain and there is rain shown in the AS radar but nothing shows on the ND despite lowering the tilt to its maximum 15.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather