Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Best airports in XP11

2 hours ago, richie894 said:

Without wanting to go off topic, I dont know why more of the big scenery devs don't convert airports from P3D to XP and expand their market.

I mean I have limited (if any) tech knowledge or prior experience, but managed to convert a FlyTampa airport from FSX to XP11 in the matter of a few hours by watching a series of three 20 minute YouTube videos. The texturing and lighting look far superior in the XP versions.

If I can do it, I am sure a dev at FlyTampa could probably do their entire catalog of scenery and get it done and uploaded on the website for sale within a 40 hour work week. Then charge $20-25 an airport.

Could post or pm me with links to these videos? I'd very much like to try this technique. Thanks!

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

18 minutes ago, tonywob said:

I'd rather hope they didn't go down the lazy route of just running FS2XPlane and calling it done. Any one converting scenery to X-Plane should do it properly, using the original 3D model source and making use of XP features and not just do a lazy low quality conversion in the hope of earning a few extra $$$ which is what many are in the habit of now doing.

I agree.

If converting scenery means you will lose some XP features I too hope serious developers will not go that route.

Probably some will hoping to make some quick $ while the more serious and professional won't.

That is usually the case both in our hobby and pretty much everywhere around us.

In the end we vote with our wallets...

Richard Åsberg

On 8/10/2017 at 7:05 PM, richie894 said:

Not so much in Europe but...

The best I have visually is the FlyTampa Dubai (FS9 conversion) which I did for X-Plane. It looks absolutely stunning. So too does Paulo Ricardo's Mega Rio De Janeiro. It converts really easily in less than 5 minutes and gives you buildings and a skyline as far as you can see. Both are jaw-droppingly good.

I really like the recent Dallas KDFW payware. Also any of the MisterX's airports are great. Another good free airport is RCSS over at the XP forum.

I do not fly much in Europe, but TDG's airports are decent (some very good) - again all free over at the XP forum.

Whatever you download make sure you also download all of the libraries it asks for. Otherwise you will get error messages all of the time.

Hi Richie,

I just did a quick and dirty conversion of FlyTampa Dubai FS9 and the texturing looks amazing!!   I just have 2 problems; large grey block in the middle of the apron, and some sort of elevation issue - as soon as the flight loads, my plane goes underground, leaps into the air, then crashes. :biggrin:

cessna16.jpg

cessna17.jpg

Are these two an easy fix?   Will I need to download Overlay Editor?   (It seems a bit unintuitive!)  :blink:

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Does anyone know how to get rid of these large "no entry" things in OverlayEditor?  :biggrin:

54545410.jpg

Bill

12 minutes ago, richie894 said:

Yes, you need to go into the editor and delete all of the floating objects - you will probably notice random black boxes and floating lights too. Dubai was actually a little tricky and took me a few hours to do. This is as you are also missing the runway lights at night. So you have to put them in and all the taxi lights.

If I remember correctly you need to click on the runway and do something to the settings to make it a hard surface. The 3 part Thomas Rasmussen video series above will guide you through the process of everything or pm me for further questions. Not only the Dubai airport looks good. but the city looks amazing on approach also.

The easiest I did was Paulo Ricardo's Mega Rio De Janiero. That is a direct conversion with no edits. You just need to put the freeware SBRJ Rio airport from .org forum above it in the scenery hierarchy to save having to edit the converted scenery. And OMG wow - buildings as far as you can see and more. I remember I posted about this and some pics on here about 6 months ago.

I certainly do not want to hijack the OP thread, so PM me or hit me up offline if anyone has questions.

Thank you - I'll give that video a watch!   At the moment I'm thinking Dubai is far outside of my knowledge of XP;  just haven't got a clue how to execute any changes, such as adding runway lights etc, in OE, other than moving things around   :)

I might perhaps attempt a more modest first project!  :)

Cheers.

Bill

31 minutes ago, richie894 said:

I certainly do not want to hijack the OP thread, so PM me or hit me up offline if anyone has questions

Not a problem, find the discussion very interesting ☺️

• Upvote 1

Richard Åsberg