Zimmerbz

Blue marble

After seeing a bunch of threads about Black Marble, I came across Blue Marble on their site.  That seems even more confusing than Black Marble.  Is Blue Marble photoreal scenery?  It says satellite imagery but I have no clue as to what that would do to the sim considering we are not in a satellite.  Can someone explain?  I'm hoping it is photoreal scenery but I doubt it is. 

• Upvote 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I did the same thing!  Chris should get a marketing person to tweak the site - really not clear what his products are.

At first I just thought it was a new seasons.bgl using the latest monthly images, but it seems like it's a texture set of some kind.  Can't be photo scenery for $12.

• Upvote 3

As far as I understand, Blue Marble, updates your high altitude low res native scenery in FSX/P3D, which is displayed outside your LOD radius. These textures, would only be visible from very far away and/or at high altitude, towards the horizon. 

Please correct me if I'm wrong, Chris.

7 hours ago, Chris Bell said:

Yes, that's confusing.  I learned a lot about what NASA's blue marble images are, nothing about what is added to flight sim with your product.

Edit - sorry if that reads a bit terse.  I really would like to know more about the product and I'm sure others are also eager to better understand as well.

Edited by Gridley
  • Upvote 4

It seems that the subscription part of it is just buying "support" for the product.  Maybe in the form of future updates.

It seems that you buy the product (whatever that might be), then you pay  for an annual subscription for "support" (whatever that might be).

Bob

8 hours ago, Chris Bell said:

Yes.  I don't see how this pertains to P3D unless I am flying into space.  I don't see how this is relevant unless someone can post some screenshots that don't look like they are taken from the moon!

5 hours ago, Gridley said:

sorry if that reads a bit terse.  I really would like to know more about the product and I'm sure others are also eager to better understand as well.

not at all,
i was really looking to understand if that was missed out on? or the  info we placed there is unclear!

• Upvote 1

i think this should help clarify

BlueMarble.Explained.jpg.365fb345f633e7d

3.jpg.3513983306d2bd16ad6b2341518a3351.j

4.jpg.994bd77c835a1bbf8a01775644ff015d.j

5.jpg.ce99fafd2521c820c51e6bf9245be953.j

• Upvote 1

Ohhhh...there used to be a product that did this...what was it called?  Gosh, I didn't have any clue what this product did until I saw Chris's post.  Could we see a video at, say, 25000 ft?

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

Ohhhh...there used to be a product that did this...what was it called?  Gosh, I didn't have any clue what this product did until I saw Chris's post.  Could we see a video at, say, 25000 ft?

Yes, I have the products that you are talking about.  It is called "FS Altitude" and it came in three DVDs.  They worked and looked really well, but I don't believe they were ever upgraded to P3D.  At high altitude you would see photo real scenery of the earth, but there was an area under your aircraft that was not changed by it.

It would actually help give you better FPS when flying at high altitude.

I have FS Altitude... similar concept to blue marble, except blue marble, doesn't come into play unless you are extremely high. IMO, you don't really need Blue MArble. For me, it does not come into play even with my airliner flights at 38K

FS Altitude comes into very early even at 7-10K feet.  I stopped using FS Altitude because when I have MEgascenery with higher resolution photo scenery, I do not want FSAltitude around those areas and I was not able to provide exception areas to FSAltitude. even though FSaltitude was low resolution (which is ok at 35K, the high-resolution photo scenery like MEgascnery was not able to override FS Altitude. Does that make sense?

I wrote the developer about FS Altitude for North Africa and middle east which I so badly want. And he replied me saying that he was working on it..that was almost 2-3 years ago. 

HAving FSAltitude for NA and Europe is not that beneficial..but it would be awesome to have for areas that you don't do much low level flying like for me, Africa, ME, Asia. Unfortunately, FSATltude is available only for areas where we have so many addons.. NA, EU and Australia. 

It's an opportunity for MEgascenery to provide a lower resolution photo scenery for North Africa and Middle East for airliner flying over vast areas. 

I know Chris is working on some photo sceneries as well... so let's see how that is going to play out.

• Upvote 1

On 8/9/2017 at 5:37 PM, Chris Bell said:

i think this should help clarify

That was really helpful, Chris. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

I just bought this product with my fingers crossed based on the success of Black Marble, Unfortunately it will not even Install into my P3DV4.3 Main folder and I get a message "wrong folder "" and it refuses to Install anyplace else either. Anyone else shed some light on this please ??

i have responded to your support ticket, please check your account,
we do not do support for our product here; we have a dedicated forums for that,

https://forums.chrisbelldesigns.com/