Sign in to follow this  
vp49p3

Solar Eclipse Simulation ?

On August 21st there will be a complete solar eclipse.  From what I've read, I think the longest complete eclipse in the US will be somewhere in South Carolina.  I was wondering if on that day and time at that simulated location would P3Dv4 simulate a total solar eclipse if the sim is using real time?  As I recall, P3Dv4 is spot on with sun and moon location.

Anyone have a definitive answer?

If there will be a simulated eclipse, then I'm planning to be at that sim airport to see the show!!!

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

I was also curious, and I set the date, time and a few locations along the path of the eclipse, but the sun was still shining bright.  Maybe someone will come up with a patch...

P3D cannot get the time zone right much less an eclipse so I doubt it.

Sean Green

I tried it with the time preview and couldn't get it. I'm thinking the sim doesn't display a new moon.

And everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

• Like 1

I plan on leaving the simulations behind and witness the eclipse first-hand.

Chance in a lifetime. Hope it doesn't rain.

• Upvote 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

2 hours ago, bills511 said:

I tried it with the time preview and couldn't get it. I'm thinking the sim doesn't display a new moon.

And everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

No dark side on the moon in P3D :happy:

Keep Flying Robert

I7 12700KF, MSI RTX 3080ti Suprim X 12GB, G Skill Trident Z DDR5-6000 32 GB RAM, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690 F Gaming WiFi, Win 10 pro 2004 Build 21H2. 2x 1 TB Samsung SSD 860 EVO, 1 TB M 2.0 Crucial, Corsair AiO watercooled.

26 minutes ago, elgreco111 said:

No dark side on the moon in P3D :happy:

Matter of fact it's all dark.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/8/2017 at 9:21 AM, bills511 said:

Matter of fact it's all dark.

You mean P3D does simulate totality on the specific date, time and location ? (i.e. getting night dark in the middle of the day ?)

Hellenic vACC - Olympic Aegean Virtual

Prepar3D 5.3 | CPU i9 10900K | VGA: RTX 3070 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 | Monitor: 3440x1440

Simulating a total solar eclipse accurately requires extremely complex calculations of the motions of the Earth, Moon and Sun. Something that is way beyond the capabilities of P3D or FSX.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

3 hours ago, Kyprianos Biris said:

You mean P3D does simulate totality on the specific date, time and location ? (i.e. getting night dark in the middle of the day ?)

I was quoting Pink Floyd from Dark Side of the Moon.:smile:

..."and everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark."

http://www.pink-floyd-lyrics.com/html/eclipse-dark-lyrics.html

BTW I have a feeling radio stations will be playing this on Monday during the event.

I moved just in the nick of time. My wife and I moved from Ohio to Aiken SC we are in 99.9% totality. It should be quite the show, it is cloudy already but I plan on take photos outside anyway.

Ciao!

:cool: I have a suggestion for all those in North America that have a full or partial eclipse today. Forget about simulating anything!

Shut your computer off, go out doors (where there is nothing over your head but sky, in case you have forgotten), leave your pets inside with curtains drawn, put on your regulation glasses and see it real-time! :gaul:

No offence intended to OP or anyone else, just being about as playfully sarcastic as most Canadians get.

(We leave the heavy lifting on that sort of things to our neighbors.)

Whoops, that just slipped out! :blush:

Kindest regards, 

PS: ...and please watch how you watch, for you can not flight-sim if you are blind!

Have a great day.

• Upvote 2

Brian,

If you are just outside the path of totality, I strongly recommend that you travel the short distance to get within the shadow track. The difference between totality and 99.9% partial is literally the difference between night and day. Whatever you decide to do, enjoy the experience. I wish I could be there....

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I concur with Christopher. I saw 6m 08s of totality in the 1973 eclipse and even if the tiniest sliver of sun remains you won't see the corona. Get a move on, not long now.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, briansommers said:

I moved just in the nick of time. My wife and I moved from Ohio to Aiken SC we are in 99.9% totality. It should be quite the show, it is cloudy already but I plan on take photos outside anyway.

If you have a 'proper' camera with shutter speeds and f stops take an exposure reading just before the partial phase of the eclipse starts. Use that setting for every photo you then take for the next 2 hours. The sequence will show how the light fades. You can't do this with a camera phone.

I used a light meter for the 2015 eclipse here in England to record the intensity and the light not only drops significantly but takes on an eerie quality.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather