Sign in to follow this  
Snaker1

Question for Peter Wilding about GE

Hi Peter - I was just looking at the great screen shots you have posted at your GE web sight and at Flight1. This looks to be a great product. I am wondering if you could expand upon your quote from the Flight1 forums. You stated that:"The package will be reworked free of charge for FSX and not just resized."Does that meen that when you rework the package that you will add 1024x1024 textures to take advantage of the new FSX features ?Thanks for your reply. I look forward to the release of your project!!!:-beerchug

Guest Peter Wilding

To be honest it's too early to say. I mean by this we will do everything we can to to make them work with FSX and if that means making some more textures or tweaking them we'll do that.I certainly don't like charging customers extra for just a few tweaks. What we don't know yet is that what we are going to have to do to get the best from FSX?We may need to make a completely new package or modify just parts of it.At the very least there will be a significant discount to exitsting customers and at best there will be no charge. It's really going to depend on when the customers buy our product, when FSX comes out and what is needed to get the best out of the product.I can see a possible outcome that we'll have various pacakages and options that may be a simple rework FREE and a more robust advanced package that will get more out of FSX?It's really going to be dependant on many things right now and to be fair if it needs 200 man hours to fix it's a lot differnet to 20,000. All I can say is we'll make sure we do eveything we can to give the customer some great value for money.For example: I've updated FE twice and more than doubled the quantiy of clouds and made no extra change for this.We'll be doing something free with GE too.

We also may not need this at all! No disrespect meant to Peter either. Mr Wilding has done some fabulous things for FS9, but looking at the screenshots of FSX, it appears that we may not need GE for it at al. Even at this early stage, it looks very good, at least as good as FS9 does with all the payware. Maybe we are going to be able to get away without these enhancements for a change!! Peter, thanks for everything you have done, I may even STILL get GE, it looks great!Hornit

Guest Peter Wilding

Yes, Hornit, I agree. It maybe that FSX is so good we can't make it any better.

Thanks for the reply to my post Peter. I agree with you that it is too early to tell. I just appreciate the fact that you consider your project as a work in progress and offer the updates.Time will tell if FSX is so good that it can't be improved upon but having options to choose from is always nice.I plan on enjoying FS9 for a while longer and am looking foward to your project.Thanks again for your time and response to my question!:-)

nothing against microsoft, but if they made it all perfect, there wouldnt be a reason to make a new version after that. there will always be room for imporovement. usually everything is Americanized and I am sure there will be a desire for other textures depicting their local areas more, more realistic textures maybe for farms, parks, highways, deserts, etc.if you think there is a chance FSX might be perfect in that department, you are just setting yourself up for disappointment.And Peter, GE looks awesome, once again you come through with another beauty that makes everyone else step up to the plate again. I love BEV but 30 dollars for the entire world and night textures which no one offers!! Amazing!

I was being a bit Tongue in cheek, truthfully I highly doubt it will be dramatically better. I am expecting some decent improvements in Landclass, shorelines and textures though. Looks like autogen will be improved a bit too. I am sure there will be lots of room for improvement and I will look to you "gurus" for just that.Again I thank you for everything you have done!!Hornit

Guest koorby

There is a lot of room for improvement to FSX, even from the early shots we've been given a peek at. In fact, the devs in the AVSIM FSX forums have said (and I quote tdragger); "Besides, we have to leave something for add-on developers to improve on!".Expect FSX to most likely look like: FS9 + Cool DirectX9 FX + Ultimate Terrain + GE2006-USA textures + More dynamic 3D objects. And expect the Seattle area and Washington State to be the "poster child" of FSX and look absolutely sensational. As for the rest of the world, time will tell ;)

>And expect the Seattle area and Washington State to>be the "poster child" of FSX and look absolutely sensational.And even that area my have hard time to compete in quality with what FlightScenery is getting ready for us 'today' in their KPDX product. ;)Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

Guest jennifer

And the screenshots of FSX, you can be sure, are examples of it looking its best-and it does look good, but I'm sure there will be room for improvement. Furthermore, a I said in another GE thread, installing GE/FE into FS9 effectively prolongs the life of FS9 even after FSX has been released. That is, it it 'upgrades' it to FSX visually. I for one will be keeping FS9 up and running with all the payware enhancements I have until I know I FSX runs well on the system I have at the time, and the, and only then will I start the move accross to FSX.

Guest MJ

I don't think there is any way that MS can compete against the guys who target one area specifically whether it be an aircraft, airport, weather or textures etc. What MS does do is put some decent stuff in there by default and create a framework that 3rd party developers can work with.I have no doubt at all that once the developers get to work with the new features in FSX, they will surpass the default FSX easily. I'm hoping for higher resolution ground textures such as 1 or 2 metres per pixel as opposed to the current 5. I can only imagine how good BEV, GE and VOZ could look at that resolution, but I'm not blind to the obstacles in the way of making it work.

Guest Boogie

Peter, are there any comparision shots showing the same view with and without GE? I think that would be useful.I already have FS global and FE. With GE I will have a complete new world to fly in!Regards,Boogie.

Guest PPSFA

Personally, I will buy FE no matter what FSX looks like, just to support the company. They put out a great product and have outstanding support and communications and $30 is a cheap price to pay to help keep em around :-)

Guest Maul

Mr. Wilding,I'm not sure if this has been answered, but if I have Ultimate Terrain, will GE2006 be able to run with it or will I have to uninstall Ultimate Terrain. I'm just now seeing what everyone is talking about and your product looks amazing! You've definitely got my money, great job!Eric

ultimate terrain just tells the game where to place textures, it does not install any textures itself. thus when you add something like bev textures, ground environment, fsgenesis mesh, you will be adding to the game rather than taking away certain features of one or the other. it all works together