Sign in to follow this  
joefremont

Around the world in 175 days part 17, China! Xiamen, Hong Kong

June 7, 1924:  By 2:45 they were refueled and back in the air. Flying down the coast they could see hundreds of villages along the shore and thousands of sampans filled with families and animals. The weather was excellent and there planes were responding perfectly.  At Amoy the destroyer USS Preble was waiting. They had great difficulty keeping the many small boats away from the planes.  Only after an officer in a motor launch, capsized a few sampans running straight at the boats only to swerve at the last minute to swam the boats did they keep there distance.

For the next couple legs I plan on using a true British Classic the Vickers Wellington.  The Wellington was a twin engine medium bomber that first flew in 1936.  It was mostly used as a night bomber but also for anti-submarine patrols. Over 11,000 were built and was the only British bomber to be produced for the duration of the war.  The model I am using today is made by First Class Simulations. I will be using the Coastal command Mark XIV version.  I chose this version because it was the only one in the package painted for daylight operations.

The flight was pretty easy.  A few clouds at 3000 feet, I spent most of the flight at between 5000 and 2500 feet dodging clouds, flying along the coast to Xiamen.  The Wellington  made short work of the flight, doing the 250 nm flight in only 1.3 hours.  Here are a few screen shots.

wc.3.3.1.jpg
Ready for takeoff.

wc.3.3.2.jpg
Heading down the coast.

wc.3.3.3.jpg
Dodging clouds.

wc.3.3.4.jpg
Coastal Islands

wc.3.3.5.jpg
Glamour Shots

wc.3.3.6.jpg
First view of Xiamen!

wc.3.3.7.jpg
Our destination.

wc.3.3.8.jpg
Landed, but for some reason there are cars driving through the airport, think I will park somewhere else.

June 8, 1924:  The flyers wanted to get off early the next morning but curious locals again crowded there boats around the planes, again the navy came to there assistance but it was not until 10:30 in the morning that they were able to get off.  They were warned they would run into a typhoon on the 310 mile flight to Hong Kong but they took off into darkening skys,  They flew into winds and lightning, at one point they were hit by 100 mph tail winds but it did not last long and they emerged out over a calm sea, fog forced them down so they were flying just over the tops of the hundreds of boats of all descriptions in the waterways.  The number of boats increased as they got to the crown colony of Hong Kong, as they few over they bay they could see a vast number of boats and anchored in the middle was a navy destroyer.  They could not see there yellow buoy’s but were signaled to go to the other side of the bay, where the Standard Oil Company dock was located in a small cove.  The landed there and with the help of there machine shop they spent the rest of the day working on there aircraft.

August 4, 2017:  Again I am using the First Class Simulations Vickers Wellington.  I actually did this flight twice.  I wanted to fly into the old Kai Tak airport so yesterday I did the flight and landed at Kai Tak but ended up crashing into an invisible building while taxing to parking and I aborted the FSAirlines client before it recorded the flight so it would not save it as a crash. I restarted the flight today, compared with the scattered clouds of the day before today it was clear and I flew at 5000 feet along the coast.  Clouds started to appear as I got closer to Hong Kong, after yesterdays ‘accident’ at Kai Tak I proceeded to the new Chek Lap Kok International Airport and made a safe landing.  Most of the pictures are actually from the previous days attempt as the weather is a little more dramatic, but the last few are from today’s.  Here are the pics.

wc.3.4.1.jpg
Ready for takeoff, the airport manager really needs to do something about these AI cars running all over the place.

wc.3.4.2.jpg
I managed to avoid hitting a car or truck on takeoff.

wc.3.4.3.jpg
Heading out over the bay.

wc.3.4.4.jpg
On our way.

wc.3.4.5.jpg
City of Hong Kong!

wc.3.4.6.jpg
Fog ahead, better get lower.

wc.3.4.7.jpg
Our destination.

wc.3.4.8.jpg
Landed and secured.

• Upvote 2

Great looking screenshots    and thank you for taking us back in aviation history....love the details!

HLJAMES