Sign in to follow this  

I am buying a new Alienware system to improve my FSXSE but also to enable me to obtain and enjoy good performance with XPlane 11 and FSW.

The processor will be an i7-7700 and the video card a GeForce GTX1070 with 8GB.

I am uncertain though about the monitor. There seems to be a bewildering variety. I currently have a Dell XPS27 all in one and enjoy the big screen. Dell list a P2415Q Ultra HD 4K with my proposed system. There is also a P2715Q but they didn't offer it with my system for some reason. Viewsonic also have a 27" 4K unit but reviews seem to favour the Dell.

Any opinions from forum members?

If you're going 4K, I'd say go 32" or more. If you really want 24", get a 1080p and your performance will be much better.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

8 hours ago, MarkDH said:

If you're going 4K, I'd say go 32" or more. If you really want 24", get a 1080p and your performance will be much better.

Perfect advice. 4K res is for larger screens, seems wasted on a 24" monitor. I guess 2560x1600 would be good, but IMO 4K is a waste.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Ihad a 34" 4K screen and swapped out for an 29" LG full 1080 and have no complaints at all ...

Image removed as image is no longer available.

Thanks for the comments.

So a Dell Ultrasharp U2715H maybe? This is full 1080, and WLED, (whatever that means :ha:).

Another thing re the resolution.

Would 3840 x 2160 resolution make the screen difficult to read? You know, numbers on gauges, G1000, menus and so on.

4 hours ago, vhrob said:

Would 3840 x 2160 resolution make the screen difficult to read? You know, numbers on gauges, G1000, menus and so on.

NO.  A 4K monitor has many more pixels so it's going to render tiny things more clearly than an HD monitor. So small details in FSX will be easier to read, not harder. Bear in mind that the default zoom factor will make everything look smaller but in FSX you can adjust the zoom factor to make things the size you want them. In other words there is no downside to 4K in terms of how it's going to look.The possible exception is navigating the FSX menus and setup screens, which are a fixed size. On a really small 4K screen these may be unreadable.If you really wanted to do this you could run Windows in a lower resolution, which means in windowed mode your menus would be a usable size. You can have the full-screen resolution selected as 3840 x 2160, so when you switch to full-screen mode you have the proper resolution.

The Windows desktop will look very small, so that may be hard to navigate. You can change the size of the icons and text in Control Panel but not all Windows programs are well-behaved, so the general experience of using Windows on a small 4K monitor may be variable.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

Thanks Mark.

With regard to your comments on Windows use generally, would you consider either a 24" or 27" "a really small 4K screen" that might cause problems?

1 hour ago, MarkDH said:

... but in FSX you can adjust the zoom factor to make things the size you want them.

But the screen image becomes more distorted when you start to zoom in. For me, 4k is just overkill below 30".

1 hour ago, vhrob said:

... on Windows use generally, would you consider either a 24" or 27" "a really small 4K screen" that might cause problems?

Yes. For non-gaming PC use, text on the desktop will be very small and, particularly, fixed size fonts in some apps and games could be very difficult to read at that screen size.

When I looked to update my monitor last year, I personally found that text on the desktop and in some games was small but just acceptable for me at 2560x1440 on a 27" monitor. At that screen size, I could see the individual pixels at 1920x1080. I eventually bought a 32" 2560x1440 monitor which works perfectly for me.

I would say that if you want a 27" monitor, go for 2560x1440. Additionally, it will give you much more headroom for your 1070 graphics card.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

8 hours ago, vhrob said:

Another thing re the resolution.

Yes, 4k has issues with small text and fonts in FSX. ATIS remains super tiny scrolling text (PMDG DC-6 warnings have same issue),  kneeboard does increase in size font but the kneeboard itself is limited to a small size area so you have to use the scroll bars alot, some 2D (ex. shift+2) don't resize well - higher res is not perfect with FSX but I feel the benefits are far greater than the negative. Big, sharp, unjaggy, crisp screen is a huge upgrade.

5 hours ago, vhrob said:

With regard to your comments on Windows use generally, would you consider either a 24" or 27" "a really small 4K screen" that might cause problems?

Both are small. You have to think like this: 4K is twice the number of pixels in each direction, so for the equivalent sized HD screen everything will be half the size by default. So your text will be half the size of your current screen, as will your icons.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

3 hours ago, vortex681 said:

But the screen image becomes more distorted when you start to zoom in.

No it doesn't. Perhaps you mean less distorted. In any case it's not relevant.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg